ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old November 17th, 2011, 01:25 PM   #1
areifel
ninjette.org member

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Unhappy Sideswiped.

I will try to keep the story short and simple:

Basically, i was coming home from dinner last night around 10:30 going about 25-35mph about to make a right hand turn. As i leaned into the turn another bike following to close behind me ran directly into me pretty hard. (yes, i had turn signal on) His bike was fine and we didn't drop either of our bikes. He did dent my exhaust pretty bad and snapped off my right main stay bracket. everything else seems fine. both of our phones were dead so i managed to ride home with just the front brake. I was in a good amount of pain so i went to the ER once i arrived home and got a car. Turns out i broke my foot and bruised my arm pretty good. I made the silly mistake of wearing boat shoes while riding because i don't have boots (yet). They might have saved my foot from being broken.

I was just curious if a dented exhaust is bad for the bike? i have heard rumors that you should replace it when there is a decent amount of damage to it.

Also, is anyone trying to get rid of their OEM right stay main stay bracket? (part number: 35063-0386-18R) i would gladly pay for shipping and the part, if possible.

I will post pics when i can make it upstairs to the garage. ha ha. Ride safe out there guys, accidents DO happen.
areifel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2011, 01:37 PM   #2
Lou
ninjette.org member

Name: LOU

Motorcycle(s): GreenSE 09 250R

Sorry to hear, sucks about your foot but glad that the accident wasnt any worse!!! Was he trying to pass you on the right or was he turning also???
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2011, 01:44 PM   #3
areifel
ninjette.org member

I am actually not too sure. i assume he was turning and he went to wide... he was just too close for comfort the whole entire time.

Old November 17th, 2011, 01:47 PM   #4
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

Knowing how much trouble we have with cagers tailgating us, there's no excuse for one rider doing it to another. Sorry about your foot...and your bike. Definitely check E-bay for the parts....there's a lot of 250 stuff on there.
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2011, 01:56 PM   #5
spartanturtle333
ninjette.org member

Name: Spartan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 ninja 250

suck dude real sorry about your foot

ankle and foot injuries were the topic at the end of my most recent pig vid, I love my 250 too so If the bike idles ok, does not sputter use your exaust till it falls off don't worry about the dent.
spartanturtle333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2011, 02:41 PM   #6
pjed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100, 2006 Yamaha R1, 2006 Kawasaki ZZR600, 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2017 Kawasaki Z900

Yiykes...that really bites. Hope you heal quickly. Is the other rider going to be held responsible?
pjed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2011, 03:14 PM   #7
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Glad you're relatively ok and hope you heal up soon.

Same question as always: is there anything you could have done differently to avoid the accident? More mirror checks? Aborted the turn, early, when you saw how close he was? Pulled over and let him pass?
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #8
Indy250r
ninjette.org member

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 KTM 990 ADV

Sorry to hear you got hit.

This is not to pick on you, just an opportunity for a lesson.

For the benefit of everyone here that says they can't afford gear, how much is the hospital bill for treating a broken foot?
Indy250r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2011, 04:11 PM   #9
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by areifel View Post
I will try to keep the story short and simple:

Basically, i was coming home from dinner last night around 10:30 going about 25-35mph about to make a right hand turn. As i leaned into the turn another bike following to close behind me ran directly into me pretty hard. (yes, i had turn signal on) His bike was fine and we didn't drop either of our bikes. He did dent my exhaust pretty bad and snapped off my right main stay bracket. everything else seems fine. both of our phones were dead so i managed to ride home with just the front brake. I was in a good amount of pain so i went to the ER once i arrived home and got a car. Turns out i broke my foot and bruised my arm pretty good. I made the silly mistake of wearing boat shoes while riding because i don't have boots (yet). They might have saved my foot from being broken.

I was just curious if a dented exhaust is bad for the bike? i have heard rumors that you should replace it when there is a decent amount of damage to it.

Also, is anyone trying to get rid of their OEM right stay main stay bracket? (part number: 35063-0386-18R) i would gladly pay for shipping and the part, if possible.

I will post pics when i can make it upstairs to the garage. ha ha. Ride safe out there guys, accidents DO happen.
Why didn't you both stop?

Any mishap on a bike needs to be checked out (unless you're running from the law).

Old November 17th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #10
areifel
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy250r View Post
Sorry to hear you got hit.

This is not to pick on you, just an opportunity for a lesson.

For the benefit of everyone here that says they can't afford gear, how much is the hospital bill for treating a broken foot?
I am covered under very good insurance and actually Aflac will write me a check depending on the extent of the injury. I once broke a toe and received a decent amount. It is not that i can not afford the gear i just never got around to it. Take it as a lesson from me, get some boots!! leg injuries are the worst.

Also, there is always a way or two to avoid an accident. it was just a freak incident where i was turning right and he was way to close behind me and i didn't see him. I did check my mirrors before hand, but he was in a blind spot. i didn't get the police involved because my phone was dead and i was not in immediate pain, probably due to the adrenaline. but i may call and write a report. i actually ended up knowing the kid on the harley and his dad is the chief of police out here. odd right? What do you guys recommend? he said he would pay to fix it and the part cost $50 so i am not too worried.

Old November 17th, 2011, 05:44 PM   #11
areifel
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Why didn't you both stop?

Any mishap on a bike needs to be checked out (unless you're running from the law).
we did both stop and he followed me back to my house to check out everything in the light... my house was about 1 mile away, so i went there.

Old November 17th, 2011, 05:45 PM   #12
areifel
ninjette.org member

Some might say i did the wrong thing and didn't call the police and what not, but when you are involved in an accident all the adrenaline has your mind thinking differently. i did the best that i could... we had no cell phones and there were no lights around... so i proceeded home.

Old November 17th, 2011, 06:41 PM   #13
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Just curious if it were a biker that you knew or not?

But any who, glad to see you're ok as in, alive. It could have been worse. I was nearly "sideswiped" by a car the other day, needless to say, that would've been very bad for me.

If it wasnt a biker you knew, I really hope you got their number and information at the very least.
Mods: flushmount Led front binkers, diode mod, pazzo levers, clear tank pad, racing replica grips, bike monkeys integrated tal light, zx-2r vinyls, rearsets, red bar ends, and more red accented stuff.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2011, 07:43 PM   #14
matha028
ninjette.org guru

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R red/black SE <-- totalled now '11 650r BLACK

That sux! Glad u r relatively ok. Wish u could have been at BWW tonight

Old November 18th, 2011, 01:35 AM   #15
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
Glad you're relatively ok and hope you heal up soon.

Same question as always: is there anything you could have done differently to avoid the accident? More mirror checks? Aborted the turn, early, when you saw how close he was? Pulled over and let him pass?
How about wearing bloody boots, for a start...

Last futzed with by Toly; November 18th, 2011 at 06:15 AM.
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2011, 08:05 AM   #16
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Before you get all excited and yell at the OP about AGTATT AGTATT!!!!, he already said that...

Quote:
Take it as a lesson from me, get some boots!! leg injuries are the worst.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2011, 08:08 AM   #17
k12.usmc
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r EFI Conversion

I guess tis the season for breaking feet, lol! Getting your foot fixed now is a f'ing b*tch, go get ur xrays and if needed a ct scan (I pulverized my cuboid bone in my left foot) as fast as u can through ur provider and go to the orthopedics and just start complaining bc they will take their flipping time bc its thanksgiving break. Originally they said come back dec 2. I was like F that because now I can barely sleep at night and I also have like 6 papers to write for school but can't because I am on 500 mg of hydrocodone.
k12.usmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2011, 08:58 AM   #18
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Before you get all excited and yell at the OP about AGTATT AGTATT!!!!, he already said that...
Yeah, right. He's shopping for new exhaust, not new boots.

Old November 18th, 2011, 09:12 AM   #19
Jojah17
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Honja

If you ever make it up to GA I've got a stock can you can have. I'd ship it to ya but it'd cost more than its worth im sure.
Jojah17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2011, 09:38 AM   #20
areifel
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matha028 View Post
That sux! Glad u r relatively ok. Wish u could have been at BWW tonight
The one on highway 27? If so I live right down the road.

Old November 18th, 2011, 09:39 AM   #21
areifel
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojah17 View Post
If you ever make it up to GA I've got a stock can you can have. I'd ship it to ya but it'd cost more than its worth im sure.
Thanks, I have family up there. So if I ever make a trip out there I'll let you know.

Old November 18th, 2011, 09:40 AM   #22
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

No collision between 2 vehicles is ever an "accident." It's a collision. Calling it an accident implies that it was completely unforseeable and not preventable, which collisions most certainly are not. In this case, the second rider was riding far too close to the OP, and assuming the OP used his signal as he said, then that rider was also not paying attention.

"He'll pay for the part" my a$$. He should be paying for the parts plus all medical expenses. HE HIT YOU> File a police report and go after his insurance. Tough luck for you that his dad is the Chief.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2011, 09:57 AM   #23
areifel
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toly View Post
Yeah, right. He's shopping for new exhaust, not new boots.
It's a personal choice to wear boots. Sorry, i didn't make you happy for wearing boots going 2 miles down the road. It's not like I planned on getting hit. I understand ATGATT, I was just one of the few who thought I was invincible and I paid for that decision.

Old November 18th, 2011, 10:18 AM   #24
areifel
ninjette.org member

Here are two photos. As you can see it is not that bad. I have actually heard stories of that peg piece snapping from people standing on the pegs while going over speed bumps. i guess they are cheaply made.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0874.jpg (95.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0870.jpg (104.1 KB, 45 views)

Old November 18th, 2011, 10:28 AM   #25
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Quote:
i actually ended up knowing the kid on the harley and his dad is the chief of police out here. odd right? What do you guys recommend? he said he would pay to fix it and the part cost $50 so i am not too worried.
Son of Chief of Police leaving the scene of an accident without report?
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2011, 01:01 PM   #26
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Get healed up well, buddy, that all that matters. Get an estimate for the repairs and ask the other guy to pay up for them. I doubt he'll screw you over a few hundred $$, but even if he does, it's not the end of the world.

BTW, did you look over your shoulder just before turning? That's what probably got you.

Old November 18th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #27
jmcblitz
ninjette.org member

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawi Ninja 250R

If it's any reassurance, the pipe doesn't look that bad.

I know a guy that rides a 250 at my school too. His looks a lot worse than yours, dents and scratches from a low-side half a year ago. His bike runs fine and he rides it everyday. So I guess that tiny dent cause trouble?
jmcblitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #28
matha028
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R red/black SE <-- totalled now '11 650r BLACK

Yes that one!
And ask some of the locals in the meetup group, there are some stock cans floating around

Old November 18th, 2011, 09:35 PM   #29
Reddoak
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r - Traded for 2009 ER-6N

**** happens. You know what? You're both alive, even if you were hurt. You held the bike up, didn't wreck, and learned something from it, right? You have good medical coverage, go ahead and use it. Go ahead and get the parts you need and fix your bike, then hand the other rider a bill and let him make it right.

As far as the other guy goes... Who hasn't made an error in judgment on a bike? Only people who haven't ridden. He screwed up. But he didn't run off on you, right? You say you have the money for gear, now you have the motivation. You also understand how quickly something can go wrong, I'll bet you do whatever you need to to keep someone from riding too close to you like this again. It's a crappy way to learn, but riding is sometimes a live and learn experience.

Good luck, heal up and fix your bike. Hopefully I see you out there sometime.

But don't run into you.

Old November 18th, 2011, 11:08 PM   #30
AlanDog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2019 Ninja 400, 2009 KLX250-SF, 2014 Zero S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx250 View Post
No collision between 2 vehicles is ever an "accident." It's a collision. Calling it an accident implies that it was completely unforseeable and not preventable, which collisions most certainly are not. In this case, the second rider was riding far too close to the OP, and assuming the OP used his signal as he said, then that rider was also not paying attention.

"He'll pay for the part" my a$$. He should be paying for the parts plus all medical expenses. HE HIT YOU> File a police report and go after his insurance. Tough luck for you that his dad is the Chief.
I agree. Yes, it was an accident, but when I cause an accident, and the other person is injured, I'm personally and financially responsible--of course!
That's why you have liability insurance, so if you ever hurt someone, you won't go bankrupt paying their medical bills. So you can personally forgive him for an honest mistake, but it's only fair that he be held financially accountable. Whether that's his money or his insurance company, that's his responsibility.

Here's what I bet happened: the light turned green, you start to take off on the right turn, he looks left to check for traffic while pouring on the gas behind you, not wanting to be outdone by a little ninja, and before he realizes he's too close, he hits you. He was being careless...

Hope the foot heals well.
AlanDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #31
matha028
ninjette.org guru

Is ur rear brake pedal and peg broken too?

Old November 20th, 2011, 10:17 AM   #32
areifel
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matha028 View Post
Is ur rear brake pedal and peg broken too?
I haven't really looked at it. i think it is just the right stay that holds everything together.

Old November 20th, 2011, 10:18 AM   #33
areifel
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcblitz View Post
If it's any reassurance, the pipe doesn't look that bad.

I know a guy that rides a 250 at my school too. His looks a lot worse than yours, dents and scratches from a low-side half a year ago. His bike runs fine and he rides it everyday. So I guess that tiny dent cause trouble?
Thanks, yeah the more i look at it the more i can deal with it. i was just use to it not having dents and it bothers me haha

Old November 20th, 2011, 11:00 AM   #34
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

insurance?
court?

Old December 8th, 2011, 04:47 AM   #35
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Some might say i did the wrong thing and didn't call the police and what not, but when you are involved in an accident all the adrenaline has your mind thinking differently. i did the best that i could... we had no cell phones and there were no lights around... so i proceeded home.
Did you at least exchange insurance cards? The medical bills alone will be $20K-$30K. The bike repairs will be negligible compared to that.

Old February 7th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #36
areifel
ninjette.org member

Foot is all healed up. It took a few months but the bike and i are as good as new. I haven't spoke with the other rider since the accident happened and i basically paid for everything out of pocket. Luckily i had great i medical insurance and the bike part was cheap too fix.

I will however, remember to exchange insurance cards next time... Which i hope will never happen *knock on wood* aha

Everything happened so quickly and i didn't even think about insurance when it happened. i was more concerned with how much pain i was in and how i didn't have a rear brake for the ride home.

I learned from my mistakes. Ride safe guys!

Old February 8th, 2012, 04:54 AM   #37
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Glad you are doing better.

Old February 8th, 2012, 05:49 AM   #38
loz944
ninjette.org guru

Name: Laurence

Motorcycle(s): Green 2012 Ninja 250SE and a Yamaha fino scooter (my wife's really)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddoak View Post
**** happens. You know what? You're both alive, even if you were hurt. You held the bike up, didn't wreck, and learned something from it, right? You have good medical coverage, go ahead and use it. Go ahead and get the parts you need and fix your bike, then hand the other rider a bill and let him make it right.

As far as the other guy goes... Who hasn't made an error in judgment on a bike? Only people who haven't ridden. He screwed up. But he didn't run off on you, right? You say you have the money for gear, now you have the motivation. You also understand how quickly something can go wrong, I'll bet you do whatever you need to to keep someone from riding too close to you like this again. It's a crappy way to learn, but riding is sometimes a live and learn experience.

Good luck, heal up and fix your bike. Hopefully I see you out there sometime.

But don't run into you.
like your outlook it all seems fair if the guy offered to pay for damage why go for his throat after all he is a fellow biker

Old February 11th, 2012, 11:44 PM   #39
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
You don't really need a rear brake...I'm glad you're okay.

Old February 12th, 2012, 01:44 AM   #40
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Quote:
Foot is all healed up. It took a few months but the bike and i are as good as new. I haven't spoke with the other rider since the accident happened and i basically paid for everything out of pocket. Luckily i had great i medical insurance and the bike part was cheap too fix.

I will however, remember to exchange insurance cards next time... Which i hope will never happen *knock on wood* aha

Everything happened so quickly and i didn't even think about insurance when it happened. i was more concerned with how much pain i was in and how i didn't have a rear brake for the ride home.

I learned from my mistakes. Ride safe guys!
Glad you're all healed up and that you wear all the gear even for short rides?? Right?? New booties???
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote