ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Forum Info > Help

Old June 29th, 2012, 07:47 AM   #1
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

Thread subscriptions

I love getting emails of threads I'm subscribed to. But if I don't click on the link in the email, I don't get anymore emails about that thread. It causes me to miss out on days of stuff sometimes. Is there anyway to change a setting where I'll get an email for every new message in the threads Im subscribed to w/o having to revist the website each time?

Old June 29th, 2012, 09:57 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I'm not sure, Wes. I think that those notification emails are kicked out when there is a new post in a subscribed thread since the last time you visited, but not on subsequent posts until a user visits that thread.

There are a number of subscription option other than immediate, including Daily and Weekly, and I'm not sure that if one chooses those, does it still rely on a user visit in the meantime after a new post to reset, or if it just kicks out the notification at that interval if their are new posts.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2012, 10:30 AM   #3
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

It must be set to be this way somewhere else becuase the notification emails also include this:

Quote:
There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2012, 10:40 AM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Right - but I don't think it's configurable. The text in those notifications is static.

It doesn't surprise me that it's built like that; the main goal of this type of software is to get people to come back to the site over and over again. Not only to support the advertising end of it, but also to support the idea that the only reason forum sites survive is because of continuous new and interesting content that is created. Promoting tools that turn users more and more into passive consumers of that content rather than creators themselves, isn't a step in the right direction. And you can't reply or add content unless you're back on the site proper.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old June 29th, 2012, 10:48 AM   #5
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Agreed. However I can also agree with Wes to a point. Sometime (maybe most of the time) in our busy lives it is quicker to just scan email's and catch up especially on our subscribed threads. On the other hand however if our site was like Facebook then my phone would die in about an hour due to all the notification emails coming in. Geez, FB sends a notification for EVERYTHING....

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Right, I agree with Wes's being a valid request as well. I just understand why vB built it the way they did.

Your post reminds me I need to recheck my FB notifications as well, they are really starting to get out of hand.

Old June 29th, 2012, 10:55 AM   #7
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Right, I agree with Wes's being a valid request as well. I just understand why vB built it the way they did.

Your post reminds me I need to recheck my FB notifications as well, they are really starting to get out of hand.
Never fear, FB probaby just reset your notification settings and your privacy settings for you w/o telling you. <grin> It's why I finally quit FB a year ago.

I understand the ads pay for this site and they have to keep people coming back to display the ads. Oh well...

Old June 29th, 2012, 12:45 PM   #8
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
/subscribed