ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old July 17th, 2012, 05:06 PM   #1
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2010 MIB Ninja 250R [sold]; 2006 CBR600RR [sold]; 2013 Triumph Street Triple R

Typical longevity of boots?

Okay... in the last couple of weeks I developed a little tear on my right Bilt Trackstar boot and it quickly expanded into what you see in the pic below.

Add in how much the sole is worn out - just about completely through the heel on the right boot and the left isn't far behind in wearing through in the same place - and I'm assuming these should probably be replaced sooner than later.

I've thought about just ghettofying it with some black duct tape until I can save up a bit more for some boots but I'm pretty much able to afford something now that should give me comparable protection to the Bilt boots I've been using so far.... so I'm looking in the $200 range and *maybe* up to $250. I just looked and Cycle Gear actually has the Bilt Trackstar boots for $60 so I'm considering just buying another pair. My first choice has been the Sidi Fusion Air boots (maybe the Cobra's, just maybe) or perhaps the Cortech Latigo Air boots but honestly, this one along with a lot of the other boots at my price point are all giving the same amount of protection at double to triple the cost of the Bilt boots. I understand quality, durability, etc. which is why I'm posting to ask....

Those of you with higher-end boots, how long have your boots lasted before they needed to be replaced? If I'm dropping $200+ on a pair of boots I'd be pretty pissed off if they looked the same way my Bilt boots do after a year of normal use and no crashes. If I should be lowering my expectations for longevity of higher end boots then honestly I'll just stick with the cheap-o Bilt boots. I've been searching eBay for the past month trying to find a good deal on some used boots but they're always too small or out of my price range so that's why I'm back to just looking for new ones for the time being.

Thanks for your input.
reaubideux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #2
krolinked
Nerd

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ducati Hyperstrada

Sidi Vertebra

I have a pair of Sidi Vertebra which i bought USED from another guy, I've had them for about 4 months and gone down in them twice. Still in great condition!

Old July 17th, 2012, 05:30 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
my a* smx-5s are 2 years old and i still use them... they have been crashed twice. they arent as stiff as they should be anymore though. i upgraded to smx-plus for harder riding. how many miles would you say you put on the bilt boots?

Old July 17th, 2012, 05:48 PM   #4
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Motorcycle(s): 2010 MIB Ninja 250R [sold]; 2006 CBR600RR [sold]; 2013 Triumph Street Triple R

Just rolled over 10,400 miles, I'd say at least 10,200 miles were with the Bilt boots. I have no idea how I got the tear. I don't run marathons in the boots but whenever I go out on my bike it's usually to the store or a movies or something where I'm walking across a parking lot. At most I'll walk about 1/3 of a mile in them, whenever I ride to work, walking to and from my parking spot into my office. I know it's my walking that's worn down the heels of the soles the most.

Also... I just noticed the TCX S-Race boots are in the realm of affordability for the white ones which I'd totally rock and deal with my friends mocking me.

@alex.s - how are the soles holding up on your A* SMX-5s?

Old July 17th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #5
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

I've had my SMX-5's since early April. I literally wore them nearly everyday until Early June. I walked everywhere with them, since I couldn't carry a pair of shoes where ever I went. The sole is getting pretty worn through, but I'm going to start switching shoes more, making them last longer.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by reaubideux View Post
@alex.s - how are the soles holding up on your A* SMX-5s?
these boots have about 20k miles on them, on the bottom sole, there is one flat spot on the back of the heel, but i walk in these boots ALOT. i'll see if i can take some photos later. i abuse the **** out of these boots and they have done nothing but ask for more. can't speak highly enough of alpinestars boots. can't say as good of things about the rest of their products, but they have been making boots for over 100 years.

Old July 17th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #7
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

I'd appreciate it. The SMX-5 is the only A* model that is in my price range but seem to be a little light on the safety features, that's really my only concern about them.

Old July 17th, 2012, 08:01 PM   #8
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

I wear a 41 in my Sidi boots, but I go between 41 and 42 depending on the company for other footwear.

Having been said, you should check these out:
http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159811

Oxtar is what TCX evolved from. Very good boots.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2012, 02:07 AM   #9
imataiwanezz
ninjette.org guru

Name: Noah

Motorcycle(s): 07 R1

My vega's are still in great condition, only problem is that I've lost one of the screws holding the harden plastic sliders on, but nothing grabbing another screw wouldn't fix. And the tongue came loose on the right boot but it's still stays there cuz of the lacing so doesn't bother me. I like that I can wear them in regular clothes and the tread on them haven't gone down too much after only a few months.

Old July 18th, 2012, 06:34 AM   #10
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
I wear a 41 in my Sidi boots, but I go between 41 and 42 depending on the company for other footwear.

Having been said, you should check these out:

Oxtar is what TCX evolved from. Very good boots.
Thanks! I'm going to be out of town on vacation next week but I'm going to check that thread out when I come back and if they're still for sale I'll look into them. One thing I'm leary of buying used is that if they don't fit I'm stuck with no money and a boot that doesn't fit; at least w/new I can return them for the right size. I've been doing as much research into how a particular boot fits as much as I am into their safety/contruction, etc.

Old July 29th, 2012, 08:19 AM   #11
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kwak Ninja 250 and 1998 Yamaha YZ400F

My Gaerne MX boots have lasted over 5 years now and show no signs of wearing out.

I've got some Alpinestars Roger DeCoster High Point boots from the 70s in my cellar that are still in surprisingly good shape too. They still get used quite a bit. They belong to my mom's boyfriend and were his first pair of MX boots, he wasn't no easy rider either.

A quality boot should last a very long time methinks.
dirty nasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2012, 08:24 AM   #12
highpsiguy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 1981 Honda Cx500 Custom, 2002 Ninja 250

I've ridden on street last 12 or more years with my Sidi's. Yes they were expensive ... over $300 dollars then. Has to be hands down the best investment on gear I have bought to date. My bottoms are worn pretty hard and the leather is a little scuffed but they sure do wear good. A little black shoe polish and go again. They are zippered with a rubber like liner to keep my feet from getting wet. 3 dual sport bikes plus plus plus- never had wet feet EVER!!!

Old July 30th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #13
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Thanks for the replies. Think I'm going to go with another pair of Bilt boots; just got back from a vacation to Disney World and am now a bit tapped out of expendable cash. As long as they last another year or so I'll be content.