ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old November 12th, 2012, 09:08 AM   #1
Zipster
ninjette.org member

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250 (Hers) 2010 Ninja 250 (His)

Which communication kit?

So now the wife and I both have our bikes. We went to the motorcycle show this weekend but hand signals at highway speed just isn't gonna cut it. So, do any of you guys/girls reccommend anything for talking back and forth. Both of us wear full face helmets so not much room for big headphones to be worn. Range would be just from bike to bike so don't need anything that will go for miles.
Zipster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2012, 09:56 AM   #2
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2003 Honda CBR600RR

ScalaRider G9 set in my personal opinion is one of the best products out there on the market today, but it comes with a lot of bells and whistles that you will never use if your only reason for using it will be for helmet to helmet communications. They also come with a pretty hefty price tag too, but very much worth it if you want to listen to music, take phone calls, and helmet to helmet with up to 9 people.

For something just between you two maybe check into some of the Chatterboxes, there are lots of different types out there, and many at a much cheaper price than the ScalaRiders.

A quick google search brought up several brands and models that I'm not familiar with but have positive reviews (Blue Ant, Sena, etc...)

Old November 12th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #3
Zipster
ninjette.org member

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250 (Hers) 2010 Ninja 250 (His)

Just did some readup on the Chatterbox XBi2. The only thing I'm concerned about is highway speeds and the 10k rpms of the bike. The ability to stream music from the bluetooth function on the phone would be nice. Found a few on eBay for under market price, but, well, you know, buyer beware.

I'll keep reading but am open to any suggestions from the "family" here.
Zipster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #4
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2003 Honda CBR600RR

If you do choose to buy off of ebay, just buy from a seller that has a good return policy. I'm a total ebay whore (I actually have like 7 things coming in right now from ebay lol...) and I have yet to be burned. I've only had one small mishap with a pair of headphones once and the communication with the seller fixed the issue quickly and at no extra cost.

Just check feedback scores and return policies and you significantly decrease the chances of a poor transaction.

Old November 12th, 2012, 08:39 PM   #5
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/cardo-scala-rider-g9

Just got the ZLA award for '12 from revzilla as the best communication device. Revzilla has never done me wrong and although ive never used it, id say it'd do everything you want it to do.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #6
siebadn
ninjette.org member

Name: Amber

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250

I remember reading this thread: which isn't too old

I think when/if I get one I will go with the G9 mentioned above. It would just be so nice to listen to music, connect with riders, and have the ability to make a call from the helmet in the case of an emergency.
siebadn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2012, 08:57 AM   #7
Bigballsofpaint
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

i was looking at the g9 but the price tag just wasnt what i wanted to pay. a read a LOT of of other people recommending the sena sm10 as well, which is a hundred or so less. All the same features except for a built in radio. Still person to person full duplex, can stream mp3, make calls and all that good stuff. Might want to check that one out too
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2013, 09:42 PM   #8
Advincula
New Rider

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Which communication device do you use?

Hey all,

I've been doing a forum search on good bluetooth communication devices for my helmet, but I haven't really seen any that really fit my case. I've been waiting to get one because 1. I didn't want the potential distraction of music while I learned and 2. Price. Now that I've got some experience, I'd like to make a foray into audio.

I've been looking at two particular devices.

First is the Scala Rider G9.
Link: http://www.cardosystems.com/scala-rider/scala-rider-g9

Second is the Sena SMH10r.
Link: http://www.senabluetooth.com/product..._menu=overview

I was wondering which of you have strong opinions about either device, and even better if you have the same helmet as me (Arai Signet-Q).

Thanks for your help.

Old May 18th, 2013, 12:02 AM   #9
dave42
ninjette.org guru

Name: dave

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250, ZX6r, RSV4, Caponord Rally

I use a Sena SMH10 on my Arai RX-Q. The SMH10's speakers have this velcro backing that sticks to Shoei's (and most other helmets I'd imagine) liner just fine but won't stay in place really well on Arai's liner surface.

What you wanna do is take out your cheek pads and take the cheek pad cover off, then fit the speaker right where the ear holes will be, then put your cheek pads back in and see if the speakers are right over your ear holes. Once you've done that everything else is standard-by-the-instructional-booklet.

Can't speak for the Scala since I've never played with it before.
dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2013, 11:43 PM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/merged with similar thread

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2013, 05:35 AM   #11
caps
Sexy Beast

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2006 ZX-14, 2012 Ducati Monster

Scala is the way to go. If the G9 is too pricy find a G4 set.
caps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #12
Advincula
New Rider

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave42 View Post
I use a Sena SMH10 on my Arai RX-Q. The SMH10's speakers have this velcro backing that sticks to Shoei's (and most other helmets I'd imagine) liner just fine but won't stay in place really well on Arai's liner surface.

What you wanna do is take out your cheek pads and take the cheek pad cover off, then fit the speaker right where the ear holes will be, then put your cheek pads back in and see if the speakers are right over your ear holes. Once you've done that everything else is standard-by-the-instructional-booklet.

Can't speak for the Scala since I've never played with it before.
I've been looking for a place to test the sound or maybe get a look at them in person, but so far no good. I found the Scala Rider on eBay for 50 bucks cheaper than it retails in a brick and mortar store.

And Caps: Does the fact that the Scala extends past the helmet rim bother you much? I have a feeling my backpack straps and shoulder pads might get rub or catch on the gear.

Old May 20th, 2013, 09:07 PM   #13
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

i just ordered a shk4rider bluetooth intercom system dual kit for $120 shipped off their ebay page last week. I'll post a review once I receive them and test them out. I always do my research and came across tons of good reviews including this one.

Old May 20th, 2013, 09:27 PM   #14
BFisher244
Ninja Noob

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R Candy Plasma Blue

I highly recommend the Scala G9
BFisher244 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #15
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

I use the Sena Smh5 in my Shoei RF-1100 without a problem. Installs easily in the helmet and its easy to hide the wires. With the upgraded speakers the sound is pretty good with minimal distortion and I can hear the music quite easily on the highway. I chose the Smh5 over the 10 since I don't need to intercom with multiple people (i.e. more than one), I only want music and to make or receive emergency phone calls, and the intercom range isn't to terrible. The newer version is supposed to have improved range though.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote