ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old May 31st, 2022, 04:31 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[ridermagazine.com] - Scorpion EXO-GT930 Transformer Helmet | Gear Review

I don’t know anybody who loves wearing a helmet, but most of us who do wear them appreciate their – shall we say – utility. And a motorcycle helmet is a lot more comfortable than the helmets the U.S. Army issues, though the purpose is the same – to save your life. There are five […]

The post Scorpion EXO-GT930 Transformer Helmet | Gear Review first appeared on Rider Magazine.

I don’t know anybody who loves wearing a helmet, but most of us who do wear them appreciate their – shall we say – utility. And a motorcycle helmet is a lot more comfortable than the helmets the U.S. Army issues, though the purpose is the same – to save your life.

There are five basic types of motorcycle helmets: full-face, off-road, modular, three-quarter open-face, and half helmets, also called shorties. In 1956, I bought my first bike, and my mother bought me a shorty helmet – that was all there was. Then around 1959 Bell introduced the 500TX, which may have been the first three-quarter open-face. I immediately sprung for one and wore open-faces for the next 20 years or so. Until I got a job in the industry and was told photos would be done with a full-face. I am mildly claustrophobic, but I adjusted to the enclosed feeling, more or less. Then modulars came along, and I’ve been a fan of those for many years, being able to lift up the chinbar when idling through town or going slow on a wooded lane.

Scorpion’s EXO-GT930 is called the Transformer because it serves both as a modular, with the chinbar and visor opening up, and as an open-face. You can easily detach the chinbar and faceshield and put on the peak visor. I like using the open-face configuration while riding along paved roads on a warm day through the little-trafficked countryside with vineyards and cattle.

Check out more of Rider’s helmet reviews

Modular crash-hats tend to be heavier than full-face ones because of the hinges and locking systems. Scorpion uses three different shells for the seven sizes, from XS to 3XL, and I figure my XL uses the largest. The modular configuration weighs 4.1 pounds; the open-face with peak visor weighs 3.4 pounds. The outer shell is polycarbonate, and the life-saving crushable middle portion is multi-density expanded polystyrene (or EPS), which absorbs impacts should you have the misfortune to use the helmet for its intended purpose. Inside is a removeable, washable KwikWick comfort liner, and the helmet stays put with a traditional double D-ring chinstrap.

The mechanism for flipping up the chinbar works just fine, and when opened it can be locked in place. Removing the chinbar and attached anti-fog faceshield is merely a matter of holding down the spring-loaded levers just below the pivot point, one at a time, and then pulling the chinbar forward. Easily done after a little practice, as is installing the peak visor. A drop-down tinted sun shield can be used in either configuration.

Ventilation, comfort, and build quality are good. Solid colors retail for $249.95-$254.95, and the Modulus graphic (shown) in three colorways retails for $269.95. A matte black version with an EXO-Com Bluetooth communication system retails for $424.95.

For more information, visit scorpionusa.com.

The post Scorpion EXO-GT930 Transformer Helmet | Gear Review first appeared on Rider Magazine.