ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 23rd, 2013, 12:14 PM   #1
codestp202

Quick paint questions?

Today is my last day of painting the bike, and I have a couple questions.

1.I am doing a two tone in some sections, so how long should I let the one color dry so I can add tape for the second section?

2.How long should I let the base coat dry so I can put the decals on to clear over them?

3.How long should I wait after painting the second color to peel the tape off and apply clear?

Hope the questions make sense. Thanks!

Old March 23rd, 2013, 12:37 PM   #2
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

1. Wait till it's completely dry before adding tape but you don't have to wait till it's fully cured, just be careful.

2. I would wait till it's fully dry and partially cured to fully cured, clear coats can go funny if the colour coat is still kicking out solvent, however if you have a "compatible" system of colour and clear then same as 1

3. Wait till the paint is almost dry to peel off the tape, if it cures and becomes too hard it can flake around the edges, too soft and it'll run, get it right and it won't leave a dodgy edge, won't lift and it'll adhere at the layer edge.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2013, 12:41 PM   #3
codestp202

Great advice. Thanks dude

Old March 23rd, 2013, 12:48 PM   #4
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

When I was doing my painting, I found cold and humidty to be my biggest problem.

If you can get a nice, warm, dry, dust-free room you've won half the battle.

Also, gentle mist coats for the colour, I found spraying the clear ws very much the same as painting varnish, it worked best when you actually acheive a layer of clear rather than a dusting, but you need to be so careful that the layer doesn't run, saying that, a sanding block with 2000 grit will knock down any drips, clear coats are the hardest to do right.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2013, 12:52 PM   #5
codestp202

yeah the clear hasn't been bad so far, I caught a warm day today and with my work light/heater my booth is wind proof and plenty warm. I'm very happy with the results so far. The hardest part is definitely going to be taping off for the second color. Then I'll buff it out tomorrow night or monday