2fidyswag
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250, Kawasaki 650

AGV vs Icon Helmet

I have narrowed my choices down between the

1. AGV Horizon
2. Icon Variant

They are roughly the same price but does anyone have any past experience with either of these. I will be doing mostly city riding on surface streets. I'm leaning towards the Icon because of the style.

In either helmet I will be going with White with a silver visor
2fidyswag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #2
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
the horizon has the nice built in sun shield. I almost bought a horizon but ended up going up to the gp-tech. I feel like you pay more for the image with icon gear.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2013, 03:30 PM   #3
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Name: Adan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R(Crashed 2/26/2014), 09 ER6n

AGV on noise cuz I wonder how 2.6 compares to 3.3 or 3.7 on revzilla
oblivion007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #4
deeno415
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dino

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki EX250(Bright Yellow)

Do you like the ENDURO style helmets?

Just wondering...

Have you tried these helmets on?

The AGV Horizon is a 'slightly narrow' shaped helmet, where as the Icon Variant is a 'neutral' shaped helmet. Not that there is much difference in shape but sometimes that slight difference is a HUGE determining factor.

I was never a fan of the flipdown visor (that's just my opinion) but that AGV does have a cool design/color scheme in Kawi green...

Maybe these reviews will help you decide:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...zon/review.htm

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor.../icon-variant/

Hope this helps!

Old September 7th, 2013, 04:48 PM   #5
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

I personally have a variant. I paid $195 for it on closeout, and I have to say it's a very nice helmet for $200 BUT some of the paint schemes go for like $530 and this sure as **** aint a $500 helmet. I think $350 would be the absolute max this helmet would be worth, but they look cool so people pay extra lol.

In terms of wind noise it's slightly better than my old EXO-400 which was waaay worse than my really old HJC CL-15. Haven't worn the HJC for a long time so can't compare it directly to the variant. Head shape does come into play with stuff like that though so everyone will be a little different, and with any helmet ear plugs will make your ride much more enjoyable.

Don't be afraid of the visor on the variant, it catches very little wind considering it's size. I've had my CBR up to a GPS confirmed 149mph and obviously I had to tuck in at that speed but even sticking my head up a little the visor didn't catch too much wind. It may catch when you turn your head to blindspot check, I don't really notice this on the CBR much but it definitely does on my 500.

The helmet is comfy for me and comes with a chin skirt which is a nice touch. I have a silver reflective face shield on mine and honestly when I got it I was a little disappointed with the quality since I paid like $40-50 for it... but at this point I don't remember why I felt that way. I've had the helmet somewhere around 6-7 months and I've probably done 6-7,000 miles in it. It's held up well, there's only one scratch in the visor which I just got recently from a massive rock hitting me. I tend to treat this helmet nicer than previous helmets since it is nicer, but I still set it on the ground and what not and there's no visible scratches or anything. The paint is very high quality (mine is the silver variant salvo) and I think it has a legit layer of clearcoat over it because I knocked it into a wall in my house once and the paint transfer wiped off like nothing. My EXO-400 was gloss black and you couldn't look at it without it scratching. One thing to note is that the vents on the top are stuck open on mine, I don't know why. Probably dirty... I've done some sport bike offroading with it lol. One of them was loose from the factory and would blow open on the highway which was annoying but I was too lazy to fix it. It does flow air very good though.

It does well in the rain, if you're at highway speeds just turning your head left and right will blow the majority of rain drops off the face shield. Doesn't leak any water inside or anything like that. Not sure how well it does in really cold since I got it in February I think so it was warming up a little, but you're in AZ so you probably don't have to worry about riding in 20 degrees and colder temps in the winter.

On a side note; the variant probably won't be track legal anywhere so keep that in mind. I don't know why, sumo racers ride in MX helmets, but the rules are the rules and we don't make em.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote