Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old July 27th, 2009, 04:03 PM   #1
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue 250R

backpacks, helmet etiquette, parking, and other newb questions

Hi Guys,
I got my licence this morning after passing MSF and i made my rounds on the bike all over town today, doing all sorts of activities, which raised many questions...

1 - i met my buddies for lunch, and when parking my bike in a spot between 2 cars i wondered, should i pull all the way in the space? What if someone just blindly pulls in cause they dont see the bike? Or should i keep the back of the bike as far out of the space as the back of the cars? But what about the people next to me pulling out of their space? Will they hit me not realizing the bike is there cause its in their blind spot? Do bikers have any leeway for parking on sidewalks and such?

2 - i ran out to drug fair to grab some deodorant cause i was almost out. i made a special trip for this because i needed something to do so i could go riding, sometimes blindly riding around town isnt as fun. I was able to fit the can in my jacket, but i'd like an easier way to carry stuff. i refuse to load my bike up with gay saddle bags and ****. What sort of backpacks are out there designed for motorcycle riders?

3 - plenty of times, i meet my buddies at fridays or something for lunch, and we will sit at the bar. when i drive a car i'll drink a beer with my lunch, but definately NO ALCOHOL when i'm on the bike. With that out of the way, i dont like idea of leaving my helmet outside strapped to the bike, i wanna bring it in with me. Supposedly its bad ettiquette to leave the helmet on the bar top. do you guys carry around the helmet bag under the seat and maybe bring it in with you, and suff the helmet and gloves in it and hook it on the bar seat?

Also, since this is day 1, could you guys give advise for other scenarios and solutions you've come up with along the way? Thanks.
dimeified is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #2
BlueRaven
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

You can get a tank bag which looks pretty cool for anything you want to buy at a store like deodorant. As for the helmet, i hook in the helmet strap in the hook in my rear seat so it's locked.

Old July 27th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #3
Spork
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 08 CPB Ninja 250

Hey i kinda second this a bit.... a few questions i had too for clarification....
i would love to know anything about parking... just like bill asked... is there like lead way(with the law-runners) that says a bike could park in say idk the slanted yellow lines in parking lots with angled spots or like on a sidewalk... Also, multiple bikes in one spot.. anything would be helpful... i know absolutely nothing about the parking of a bike...

as for gear, i know about bike bags, but i got questions about tank bags versus backpacks... also, if i went with a backpack, is there any need to get a special motorcycling backpack, or would any old school bag work?
But, with footwear while riding on a bike, i have a little problem... boots do not work for me.... i have not found a boot or pair of boots that produce anything less than agonizing pain for me(i have awk feet)... imho i also believe that they are not the best for going to see friends either... say we meet up to do anything, they are really chunky and cumbersome not the best for spontaneous things my friends and i do... I have heard of people using skate shoes on bikes and stuff, bit is there any kind of comfortable use anywhere footwear that is an economical alternative to full on boots?

and finally i guess i had the same kinda question about what to do with the helmet when going somewhere... what is your guys' ideas, helmet lock on the back or take it with you? i mean is it relatively safe on the bike?
Spork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #4
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

hey Spork check out the Shift Fuel shoes, they look real cool in social situations with jeans. Most people don't even know they're motorcycle shoes. I just bought them, and they aren't bulky at all. If your gunna go 80 or 90 on the highway you may wanna wear full length boots, but for zipping around town, or even or doing 55 on the local highway I'm sure they'll hold up in the event of a spill.

Old July 27th, 2009, 04:37 PM   #5
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

For the parking spot...I doubt you can legally park on a sidewalk or in the yellow lines...not saying that if you did youd get a ticket though but I cant see that being legal. I normally park towards the back of a spot and have my bike parked diagonal so no one is tempted to try and squeeze in next to me. If the driver next to you is backing out of the spot and hits your bike because he didn't notice it...either walking to his car or backing up...you shouldnt be riding a motorcycle in that area.

As for my helmet...I for one always bring my helmet with me and dont lock it too the bike. It cost a pretty penny and is too easy for someone with a knife to just come and steal. Whether that would happen...who knows...I just dont wanna risk it and I'd rather the little extra hassle of carrying it around and knowing its safe.
M-Oorb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #6
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

My $.02:

If I have to park in a normal car space that is not on the end, I normally back in with my front wheel in line with the back of the cars. That way, no one thinks its an empty space and pulls in.

When I commute to work, I normally wear one of two backpacks. Neither of them are special motorcycle bags. One is a laptop bag, and the other is just a plain old backpack. They both are adjustable so they fit snug and comfortable over my jacket.

I normally take my helmet in with me and either put it in another chair, or put it under my chair, or by my feet. I don't carry a helmet bag though. I normally put my gloves inside the helmet and then wrap my jacket around the helmet if I am going to put it on the floor. I would use the secure helmet loop on the bike, but normally its the middle of the day and it's hot. I'd rather not have to put my hot head into a hot helmet. I also would not leave my helmet on there, even secured, if I was going to be out of sight of the bike for more than a few minutes.

As for shoes, there are plenty of choices out there which are very comfortable. My Alpinestar shoes are very comfortable and don't look that bad with a pair of jeans.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2009, 05:34 PM   #7
sugarbear
ninjette.org member

Name: Carol

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2004 BMW 1150RT

One tip I would mention - Do NOT park in the yellow striped lines in a parking lot. DAMHIK.
(Hint- $20.00 ticket at U of M)
I prefer to take my helmet with me most times. Not too much of a problem to do so. They ARE expensive, and what if someone stole your helmet, how would you explain to Mr. Police Person if your helmet was taken - just why you are riding without a helmet???
Backpacks are a wonderful thing when you don't have lockable cases on the bike...
sugarbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2009, 05:47 PM   #8
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

I have a backpack and have used it frequently when I know I am going to the store to buy something, ya know "guy shopping" But I just bought a tail bag last week. The bag pack for anything more than really short trips, ie 10-15 min, literaly kills my back/neck/shoulder, so I got the tail bag to take the weight off. I had looked at tank bags but our tanks are not that big so I figured they wouldn't hold much. My bike is my only form of transport at the moment and I go to the beach rather frequently, and taking everything in a bike pack was a major pain in the neck, pun intended.

Helmet, depending on where I am at. So far I have been locking it to the hook under the rear cowling and have had no problems, but it depends on the area.

Parking, depends on where I am at. Usually, I park in the middle of the spot, but kinda toward the side so another biker can use the spot also.

Deodorant, just take a bath about every saturday night and you'll be fine.

nb

Old July 27th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #9
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Oorb View Post

As for my helmet...I for one always bring my helmet with me and dont lock it too the bike. It cost a pretty penny and is too easy for someone with a knife to just come and steal. .
So tell me... if someone slices the strap, exactly what value would the helmet have?

Vandalism is the concern IMO, not theft. And if you're worried about vandals, then your bike is of much more concern than the helmet.

If it were me and I just had to take the helmet with me, and the bar didn't have a good place (e.g. a visible coatrack) to park it, I'd ask the bartender if they could stash it someplace, like up on top of the beer cooler. The bartenders I've encountered tend to be really nice folks and more than willing to accommodate requests like that.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #10
lockie
ninjette.org sage

Name: don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 blue ninja 250R

I used a backpack a lot until I got a tank bag. Didn't mind the weight as its about the same as when I go Xcountry sking in the winter. But the pack did cover up the ehaust vents on the back of my jacket and it's a lot cooler without one. The backpack is a simple day pack and is god for those 10-15 minute trips. The tanks bag is big enough to hold stuff for a summer overnight.

I often leave by bag and helmet on my bike as long as I can see it.. ie at the local sidewalk cafe. Other times I lock it on the bike and if I can I'll take it inside with me. It's usually a case of security vs convenience.
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2009, 07:00 PM   #11
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
So tell me... if someone slices the strap, exactly what value would the helmet have?
Trophy
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #12
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I use an expanding tank bag. I used to wear a backpack but but I can't stand the weight on my back and it seems to restrict my movement. Onother option is a tail bag.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2009, 07:39 PM   #13
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

I use/do:
1. Fast Pack Tail Bag (hides away on top of pillion seat always available) Thecycleguys.com Don't use backpacks as they are a concern if you go down injuring your spine from the impact of items inside your pack, contributing to flipping you over & over and not allowing a controlled slide, straps tearing away at your armpits during the drag across the pavement, not to mention the possibility of hanging you up on the grill of a semi!
2. Joe Rocket Manta Tank Bag for work
3. Take helmet with me. Most people will store for you if you ask them. They love touchin the helmet!
4. Parking use sidewalks if there is a deadspot available that does not disrupt pedestrian areas - never ticketed. End slots in parking rows - never ticketed. If forced in parking lots park on a slight slant and closer to the rear of the spot so people don't try to sling the cage in and don't see the bike there. I stay clear of the curb parking cuz someone for sure is gonna back up and not see the bike or pull in too close and bump the bike from behind just like they do with other autos. Curb parking is a lost art!

Last futzed with by addy126; July 28th, 2009 at 10:46 AM.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2009, 07:41 PM   #14
veyron1001
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimeified View Post
Hi Guys,
I got my licence this morning after passing MSF and i made my rounds on the bike all over town today, doing all sorts of activities, which raised many questions...

1 - i met my buddies for lunch, and when parking my bike in a spot between 2 cars i wondered, should i pull all the way in the space? What if someone just blindly pulls in cause they dont see the bike? Or should i keep the back of the bike as far out of the space as the back of the cars? But what about the people next to me pulling out of their space? Will they hit me not realizing the bike is there cause its in their blind spot? Do bikers have any leeway for parking on sidewalks and such?

2 - i ran out to drug fair to grab some deodorant cause i was almost out. i made a special trip for this because i needed something to do so i could go riding, sometimes blindly riding around town isnt as fun. I was able to fit the can in my jacket, but i'd like an easier way to carry stuff. i refuse to load my bike up with gay saddle bags and ****. What sort of backpacks are out there designed for motorcycle riders?

3 - plenty of times, i meet my buddies at fridays or something for lunch, and we will sit at the bar. when i drive a car i'll drink a beer with my lunch, but definately NO ALCOHOL when i'm on the bike. With that out of the way, i dont like idea of leaving my helmet outside strapped to the bike, i wanna bring it in with me. Supposedly its bad ettiquette to leave the helmet on the bar top. do you guys carry around the helmet bag under the seat and maybe bring it in with you, and suff the helmet and gloves in it and hook it on the bar seat?

Also, since this is day 1, could you guys give advise for other scenarios and solutions you've come up with along the way? Thanks.
1. In the middle of the rectangle parking space with about 1-2ft of your rear tire inside the line. Allows people on the sides to get in and out and reduce rear ending incidents.

2. I use the same backpack I used in highschool on my 250. Aside from the straps hitting me from a wind gust its ok.

3. I take my helmet with me where ever I go. When I need to pay for something, I sit my helmet right on the counter.
veyron1001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #15
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Hi Josh! nice to have you with us!

As far as parking, I have a handicapped plate, so I park pretty much where I want- usually in the marked h/c spot, at the back end of the spot parallel with the backs of the cars, but I usually back in, unless pulling in is better due to the slopes of the spot

I'm glad you think my saddle bags are gay - I think they're pretty happy too But I do also have a backpack and a tank bag... I grew up riding a Silverwing with my daddy, so I'm rather used to bags on a bike....

I keep my helmet with me - I trust no one!

Old July 27th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #16
smcbride11
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): '95 BMW K75

I usually park on the right side of the spot, with my back wheel roughly even with the car to the right's back wheel. That position allows the bike to be seen, and it leans away from the driver's door on the right of me, which seriously lowers the risk that they a) won't see the bike or b) will smash it with a door. Plus it'll allow another bike to use the left side of the spot if they want.

I'll leave my helmet in my tail bag or on the handlebar on *very* quick trips. Otherwise, it sits on the seat next to me with my jacket.
smcbride11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2009, 10:00 PM   #17
emt250
2 Wheel Newb

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250r

I wouldn't leave a helmet locked up to my bike. Too easy to steal. If they plan on wearing it, trying to sell it or just want to take it to be a jerk it doesn't really matter. You're still minus a helmet.

There are a few tankbags that have backpack straps I think, if that would be something you're interested in.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-Tank-Bag.aspx

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...r-Tankbag.aspx

The first one has helmet strappies too, methinks. Fits to the bottom of the bag when you're wearing it as a backpack. its a little pricey though. Hope you find a solution that fits your needs and wants.

Old July 28th, 2009, 04:35 AM   #18
jfauerba
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): '09 Red Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy126 View Post
I use/do:
1. Fast Pack Tail Bag (hides away on top of pillion seat always available) Thecycleguys.com Don't use backpacks as they are a concern of you go down injuring your spine from the impact of items inside your pack, contributing to flipping you over & over and not allowing a controlled slide, straps tearing away at your armpits during the drag across the pavement, not to mention the possibility of hanging you up on the grill of a semi!
2. Joe Rocket Manta Tank Bag for work
3. Take helmet with me. Most people will store for you if you ask them. They love touchin the helmet!
4. Parking use sidewalks if there is a deadspot available that does not disrupt pedestrian areas - never ticketed. End slots in parking rows - never ticketed. If forced in parking lots park on a slight slant and closer to the rear of the spot so people don't try to sling the cage in and don't see the bike there. I stay clear of the curb parking cuz someone for sure is gonna back up and not see the bike or pull in too close and bump the bike from behind just like they do with other autos. Curb parking is a lost art!
I also have "Fast Pack Tail Bag". I use to use a backpack but did not like it because:
1) walking into stores with it
2) cross winds
3) getting it on and off with my jacket

If I need to carry small items, my jacket has lots of pockets for this. For long items I use my tennis racket cover. Pics of tennis bag and fastpack at http://www.onthewebsite.com/mc/tenni..._side_view.JPG
jfauerba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 05:15 AM   #19
yokozuna
ninjette.org member

Name: yokozuna

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 08

2. i use this, also function as back protector

yokozuna is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 05:31 AM   #20
gizmogamez
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE Green

wow, I feel like I am one of very few people who lock their lid to the bike. I will carry my lid around with me if I am planning on just running in somewhere for a few min (it's more hastle to lock it to the bike i find lol).
I leave 1 or 2 lids locked under the rear seat or cowl quite often (when I go to the beach, the movies, dinner...ect) but like someone said, maybe it's area dependentI do have a bike lock that I got for free at a bike night that I will take with me so I can also lock my jacket to the bike if it's for something where I don't want to carry my jacket or won't have somewhere convienent to put it. I just run the cable through the arms and around the triple, I know some guys that will do the same for their lids.

do what you are confortable with.
gizmogamez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 06:15 AM   #21
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokozuna View Post
2. i use this, also function as back protector

And what the heck is this? It looks bloody sweet! Details man, details!!!!

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 08:42 AM   #22
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

1. Always check with your local City and state laws about parking on sidwalks and the like. For example in California it is legal, in Oakland, to park on the sidewalk...But not many other Cities support that. Your city may be different from others.
When parking in a spot I park towards the back of the spot (where the back ends of cars are supposed to be). That way people see my bike there.

2. I have a tank bag, tail bag, and backpack. I use the backpack most of the time. Mine though is specific for my camera not my motorcycle. What ever one I suggest getting one that might allow you to put a hydropack in it.

3. I have never locked my helmet to my bike (I think I did once and it was to close to the pipes for my comfort.). I always take my helmet in with me. Of course I don't sit at the bar either I usually sit at a table. If I am with a bunch of people we make to get a big table. At this point there might be room at a nearby table or under the chairs. I have done this several times to the amusement of others.

Old July 28th, 2009, 02:13 PM   #23
taztabboo
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Teresa

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 - "Black Betty"

I have a Icon Urban Tank Bag. It becomes a backpack and a helmet holder so it takes care of #2 and #3 for me.

I also have Cortech Saddle Bags that I use when I need to carry more. I have put $50 worth of groceries in them
taztabboo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 02:25 PM   #24
muffinman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), '05 ZX6R / 636

I usually park in "high-viz" spots.. spots within eyesight people walking in and out of the store to minimize the risk of someone jacking my bike or my helmet. If I'm just running in and out of the store / running quick errands, I'll just park my bike in front or side of the store (on the sidewalk, near bicycles, etc.) and hang my helmet underneath the pillion seat.

Longer trips.. IE: to the library, restauraunt, etc, I bring the helmet with me.

As for luggage, get a magnetic tank bag. Some stylish, low-key ones out there (IE: Joe Rocket Manta XL)
muffinman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #25
beowuff
ninjette.org member

Name: Yancy

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

1) When I am alone, I park my bike at a slight angle right in the middle of the parking spot, making sure there is plenty of room for the doors on the cars I'm next to. I figure if I'm at a slight angle, it makes me more visible to someone trying to pull into the spot. Also, I back my bike in so that when I'm ready to leave, I just have to pull forward.

When I'm with my wife, I park on the left side all the way into the parking spot, and she parks on the right side farther out in a staggered formation. Both of us try to back in.

2) I can't stand wearing a back pack on the bike. I use a tank bag for small things and a tail bag for larger things. When I go touring, I've got a set of nice sport bike saddle bags that match the tail bag. I just don't like something pulling on my shoulders when I'm trying to ride.

3) I usually take my helmet with me when I go inside some where. If they don't like me putting the helmet on the counter, then I go somewhere else. I've never, actually had a problem with the helmet. Then again, I don't usually sit at a bar, but go to a table where there's room for my gear.
beowuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #26
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Well, my practices for 1 have already been covered; usually near the end of the spot on the right side. I also try to not park on the oil that's accumulated from cages; slick spot on your tire will ruin your day.

2) I use a Camelback MULE backpack. Provides 3L of water when I want it, and a fair amount of storage without being uncomfortable. Also is well ventilated along the spine so doesn't interfere with airflow through my jacket much. That said, I go hiking a fair bit so I'm quite used to wearing a backpack. I don't trust storing anything in saddle/tank bags for the same reason lots of people don't use the pillion seat helmet locks: someone with a knife = you missing gear.

3) I usually don't have an issue putting my helmet on the passenger seat locks, but we've got a fair number of cops around. Also bring it with me if I'm gonna be gone for more'n 20min or so.

Edit: Yes, I realize the last sentence of #2 and the first of #3 somewhat contradict one another if I'm in town (ie why have issues using tail/tank bags if no issues locking helmet because lots of cops). That said, with more storage on the bike, I know I'd be inclined to leave stuff in the bags for extended periods, unlike the helmet.

Last futzed with by Momaru; July 28th, 2009 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Logic
Momaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 04:33 PM   #27
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by miks View Post
And what the heck is this? It looks bloody sweet! Details man, details!!!!
that is cool, but why is the bottom shaped like that? please tell me they dont expect me to think of it as a "wing" for my bike when im hunched over?

Old July 28th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #28
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

wait, heres why!

i think im going to have to order one of these!

Old July 28th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #29
elars
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): None

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
The same as you paid for it, minus $9 for someone to sew the strap back on. If you think about it, your strap is sewn together already, a good stitching will hold up much better than you think.

Bottom line, anything left out is at risk of being stolen, even your motorcycle. Take with you anything you don't want to disappear.
elars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2009, 02:55 AM   #30
komohana

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

Quote:
Hi Guys,
1 - i met my buddies for lunch, and when parking my bike in a spot between 2 cars i wondered, should i pull all the way in the space?
i park close to the entrance of the parking stall, at a 45 degree angle, farther than the rear-ends of surrounding cars for visibility and to keep clear of opening doors. i always back the bike into the stall, to avoid entering the traffic flow back-walking the bike ass-first when it's time to leave. i'll put the bike in first gear after shut-down if it isn't already, push the bike forward till it wont roll anymore, then set it on the side stand (never on the center stand outside of the garage). depending on where i'm at, i may even cock the bars to lock the steering head before pulling out the keys.
others have suggested to check your local ordinances for parking rules, which is always a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork View Post
Also, multiple bikes in one spot.. anything would be helpful... i know absolutely nothing about the parking of a bike...
at my work, i've pulled into the parking lot to find another person who rides a sport bike (THAT I KNOW) having a space to himself. if there's room, i'll manuver my cycle and park behind his bike in the same parking stall, matching his angle and leaving him plenty of space. i'll put the bike closer to the inside end of the stall, again to avoid car doors being opened in the wind. the first time i did this i let him know and it was no problem thereafter. i wouldn't do this anywhere else period unless i'm with another rider. i'll never pull into a stall with another person's bike already in it.
(if you DO decide to do this...find another sport bike to park next to ok!?)

Quote:
I was able to fit the can in my jacket, but i'd like an easier way to carry stuff. i refuse to load my bike up with gay saddle bags and ****. What sort of backpacks are out there designed for motorcycle riders?
personally, i use a joe rocket manta tank bag and a cortech cycle back pack that has a pull out cover-pouch to carry a helmet. if you DO end up carrying alot of stuff there's alot of semi-gay, or full on macho-man 'cycle luggage' that is out there that looks stylish and is functional as well. just look around for something good that you like....(but dont STARE at cycle luggage...people will think you're gay...)

Quote:
Supposedly its bad ettiquette to leave the helmet on the bar top. do you guys carry around the helmet bag under the seat and maybe bring it in with you, and suff the helmet and gloves in it and hook it on the bar seat?
i'll choose bad ettiquette every single time. i've never locked my gear on the cycle. no matter where i am, i'm going to find a place to put my stuff.

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2009, 08:32 AM   #31
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

I ended up buying a Boblbee Peoples Delite Executive backpack. It's smaller than the Megalopolis Aero that holds the helmet. I saw pics of the Megalopolis on some people and it looks like a rocket pack. This smaller "womans (not sure why except the smaller size)" one i think will be a little lighter and not feel like im carrying a camping frame on my back. I'll let u guys know how it works out. BTW the Peoples Delite Executive comes in many colors, i was going to get the Saphire Blue to match the bike, but i'll be wearing it even when im not on it so i went with the Phantom, i think it will look better with a leather jacket. Plus it looks real spy-esk in phantom, rather than the "i love the apple imac and buy matching furniture to match my computer like my iDesk and iStapler" look.

Old July 29th, 2009, 09:12 AM   #32
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

I just leave my helmet on my helmet hood. I don't like to worry...actually the crime rate is pretty low here, and it's way more convenient to not have to carry that giant helmet with me

Old July 29th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #33
coolbreeze
ninjette.org sage

Name: darius

Motorcycle(s): 2000 250 sold; 2005 636 sold. BIKELESS IN ATLANTA

1 - I try to park slightly off center more towards the back/opening.

2 - My helmet came with a bag, so I either wear it on the outside or fold it up and stick it in my jacket pocket. The bag can be worn over either shoulder or as a backpack. If I'm carry small items, I can tie it to my grab bar. Larger items require that I wear the bag.

3 - I have only left my helmet on bike when its in MY view, even then it's locked under my seat. I basically have to take my long ('00) seat off to get it on or off. Any other time, my helmet goes with me either in my hand or my helmet bag. My helmet cost too much and I don't want to have to buy another one.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #34
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

One of the reasons I always take my helmet with me is that it keeps it COOL.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2009, 11:46 PM   #35
andrewexd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 07 GSXR600 (N250 sold :( )

I just use a plain old backpack for riding. The current leather jacket im using is really heavy so i dont even notice it if theres nothing heavy in it.
andrewexd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #36
An Examiner
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R; '08 YZF-R6

Also keep in mind that the passenger seat on the new gens can be removed with a hard tug.
An Examiner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2009, 02:05 PM   #37
travis5018
ninjette.org member

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

I leave my helmet locked on my bike, haven't had issues so far
travis5018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2009, 08:27 PM   #38
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

I usually park on a sidewalk or up next to a building when I go out somewhere, and I usually just set my helmet on the ground next to the kickstand.
I don't know if it's "legal" to park on sidewalks here, but a lot of bikes do...and if someone really want's my helmet, then it's gone because I'm not dragging it everywhere with me. I usually leave my gloves tucked up under the windshield as well, and sometimes the jacket over the handlebars, but that's rare.

Old August 24th, 2009, 02:04 PM   #39
Jerry
ninjette.org member

Name: Jerry

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

Don't like backpacks, myself

I prefer the gay saddle bags, and cool magnetic tankbag.

Somehow, having a glass quart bottle of Miller High Life in a backpack just doesn't sound like a good idea...(or anything else that's harder than my spine--can of beans, cooked spaghetti, etc)

The helmet? It's a $160 HJC, plain black. I usually just set it on the saddlebags..someone really wants my sweaty, SOLAS taped, generic-looking lid? Fine, I'll get another.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02615.jpg (141.5 KB, 19 views)
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #40
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Passenger Helmets

When I drive to work in the morning, I have to drop my daughter off at school on the way (she's in 2nd grade). I'd like to start taking the ninja to work more, but I'm not sure what options I have with the passenger helmet. Is there a rear bag that can hold the helmet that may be able to be folded up into a tank bag? Should I try a bungee net or something? Does anyone else ever have to deal with this issue?

And before you ask, I don't want her to take the helmet into school with her.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote