Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old July 29th, 2011, 12:33 PM   #1
Validioxus
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): 2001 EX250

Two-Up Made Me Better?

Hi everyone

I read the forum here at work quite a bit (boring summer job, smh) and really enjoy all the different opinions and insight I read; im usually not much of a poster but something happened yesterday which I wasn't expecting at all. And I was wondering if this happened to anyone else.

So two days ago I carried a passenger for the first time. I told her all the generic info: dont bounce around, lean and look through corners, etc.
We spent a while in a parking lot so she would get used to slow speed maneuvering and help calm her nerves a bit. Long story short, we wound up going up to 40/45mph for a few minutes before calling it quits.
I was being safe and cautious with the added responsibility of a passenger and trying to be as steady and smooth as possible in all aspects of my riding.

So the following day (yesterday), I went riding again for almost two hours and I felt much more relaxed/confident in my abilities. The bike felt much lighter and I felt I was able to take corners a little more quickly; but I did feel my body position/technique/smoothness in general improved as well. It was also the first time wearing earplugs while riding so maybe that contributed to the extra 'relaxed' feeling. Anyways, I was just curious if this had happened to anyone else after riding 2up for the first time because i thought it was pretty neat.

sidenote: I started looking through corners more while driving a car for practice, anyone else ever done this? haha

Cheers
Validioxus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #2
YORCHI
n00b

Name: Jorge

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Validioxus View Post
Hi everyone

I read the forum here at work quite a bit (boring summer job, smh) and really enjoy all the different opinions and insight I read; im usually not much of a poster but something happened yesterday which I wasn't expecting at all. And I was wondering if this happened to anyone else.

So two days ago I carried a passenger for the first time. I told her all the generic info: dont bounce around, lean and look through corners, etc.
We spent a while in a parking lot so she would get used to slow speed maneuvering and help calm her nerves a bit. Long story short, we wound up going up to 40/45mph for a few minutes before calling it quits.
I was being safe and cautious with the added responsibility of a passenger and trying to be as steady and smooth as possible in all aspects of my riding.

So the following day (yesterday), I went riding again for almost two hours and I felt much more relaxed/confident in my abilities. The bike felt much lighter and I felt I was able to take corners a little more quickly; but I did feel my body position/technique/smoothness in general improved as well. It was also the first time wearing earplugs while riding so maybe that contributed to the extra 'relaxed' feeling. Anyways, I was just curious if this had happened to anyone else after riding 2up for the first time because i thought it was pretty neat.

sidenote: I started looking through corners more while driving a car for practice, anyone else ever done this? haha

Cheers
I want to start taking my wife on the bike but I want to make sure that I am completely confident in my own abilities before I start adding more risk and responsibility. The only thing we did so far is drive around in a big circle in my parking lot race track and it was pretty fun. I was really expecting the bike to bog and struggle but it did pretty well, much better than I expected.

#KCCO
YORCHI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 12:59 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
sidenote: I started looking through corners more while driving a car for practice, anyone else ever done this?
Absolutely! The additional attention and techniques you gain as a rider most certainly translate back to driving a car as well.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 01:09 PM   #4
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Just remember that your stopping distance gets a lot longer with a passenger . I also look thru turns while caging around. I'm sure the F1 drivers do as well. LOL

Old July 29th, 2011, 01:22 PM   #5
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Quote:
When first learning to drive a car I would abruptly turn the steering wheel around corners until I was tought not to look directly in front of me but a little distance ahead to anticipate corners and start turning before entering the corner instead of at the corner or in most cases after I entered it.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 01:37 PM   #6
Validioxus
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): 2001 EX250

haha im glad that im not the only one who looks through turns while 'caging' (i like that by the way lol). I didn't even realize i was doing it at first which is cool -- its starting to get ingrained into my subconscious i guess
Validioxus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #7
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by YORCHI View Post
I want to start taking my wife on the bike but I want to make sure that I am completely confident in my own abilities before I start adding more risk and responsibility.
+1
As someone who used to passenger ride before I started riding my own, may I suggest that when you do take her for her first real ride, make it a nice, relaxed ride through the country. City riding is a bit much for someone inexperienced to handle, at least, that is what my hubby and I have talked about.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #8
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Allyson, you have come a long way from your days as a passenger. You take those corners like a pro.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 06:57 PM   #9
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

I also notice that I'm a lot more careful with everything that I do when wifey is on the back of the bike. Not that I'm not cautious all the time anyway... but I definitely wouldn't want something to happen with her on there
Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2011, 07:22 PM   #10
ninja_sleeper
ninjette.org guru

Name: Carrie

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Allyson, you have come a long way from your days as a passenger. You take those corners like a pro.
I want to take corners like Ally when I grow up.
ninja_sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2011, 04:04 AM   #11
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Don't know about that, Rick, but I appreciate the props. I'll forever be a work in progress, but that's how I like it! I've had you guys as mentors from nearly day 1. I'd only been riding a couple of months when I found this board. This has been such a valuable source of information to help me grow as a rider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_sleeper View Post
I want to take corners like Ally when I grow up.
Grow up?!? Who wants to do that? That's why I teach 9-year-olds.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2011, 05:13 PM   #12
h0yitsdom
newbie newbie

Name: Dominic

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja ex250

the day i got my new helmet i took my girlfriend out with me. we rode around for 30 minutes just to let her get used to being on the back of my bike. i didn't really drive any differently in terms of speed and i took her onto the freeway 10 minutes in to her first time being on a freeway lol. the bike sure does feel a lot different with another person on top of it tho

2nd time we went out we rode for around 2 hours, going up the 15 to the 78 back down the 101 and back onto the 56. it is so much fun being able to enjoy ridin with someone else i just wish she would get her own bike
h0yitsdom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2011, 10:06 AM   #13
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

I think this feeling happens anytime you do an activity in a more-strenuous way than it's intended to be done and then go back to the way it was intended to be done. For example, I swim competitively and one of the drills I do is with the hand paddles, which create resistance in the water. After doing a 500 with those and then taking them off I can decrease my 100 time by at least a few seconds, which is a lot.
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2011, 03:08 PM   #14
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Two-up made me better......

at wheelies!