ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 30th, 2009, 03:51 PM   #1
CANTFUNCTION
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250(red)

Nitrogen in Tires

Frist off let me say I check my tire pressure on a regular bases and it always 28 psi front and 32 psi rear. I have had my bike for about 6 months now and never put any air in the tires, which leads me to believe that the stock tires were filled with nitrogen.

Some facts about nitrogen
http://www.getnitrogen.org/why/index.php

The only advantage of using nitrogen vs air that I can see is you don't have to check your tire pressure as often.

The only advantage of using air vs nitrogen is air is free. It cost about 8 to 10 dollars per tire to fill with nitrogen.

My question is when I need to replace my tries should put nitrogen or air in the tries? Also do you have nitrogen or air in your tires?

Thanks
CANTFUNCTION is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2009, 03:56 PM   #2
kkim

I use air... not enough advantages for me to justify filling with nitrogen. what happens when you find the pressure low or want to experiment with different pressures? It's not free and that's why they want you to use nitrogen.

BTW, your tires didn't come filled w/ nitrogen from the factory... were your valve stem caps green?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #3
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

It's a matter, really, of what do you have ready access to? If you can get the nitrogen fill for free, go for it. It's not really that you don't have to check your tire pressure as often. We fill aircraft tires with nitrogen, and we check pressures during every daily inspection before a flight. It's that nitrogen will be filtered to remove moisture that's relatively common with compressed air, and that nitrogen does not react with the rubber. Also, since the nitrogen molecule is larger than the molecules of the gasses that are in the air, it has a harder time escaping through the pores in the rubber and through the micro imperfections in the valve seat. (Incidently, soft plastic valve caps are essential to the system, as they form a secondary seal on purpose)

Your stock tires, I'm sure, were filled with air, if for no other reason than the cost to the dealership. Nitrogen is relatively expensive compared to compressed air and cannot be produced on site without some VERY expensive equipment, so it is usually supplied in cylinders. Good, new tires and valves will hold pressure very well, so NOT needing to air them up over a relatively short period of time is not an indication that it's nitrogen filled.

Most air loss in tires is caused by poor rubber condition, poor valve condition, and poor bead seat. Nitrogen will only delay the inevitable, which is the leak, and is a total waste of money for 99% of the people who are trying to solve one of those problems (which it will not).

Old May 30th, 2009, 04:03 PM   #4
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

Name: Jody

Motorcycle(s): EX250J9

The air in my tires is comprised of about 78% nitrogen. So is the air in your tires.
sm0kediver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #5
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
The reason you will have to refill you tires is a puncture . Air or nitrogen will hold pressure for a very long time. The main difference is that the pressure stays consistent over the entire temperature range of the tire . Also there is no moisture in nitrogen . There is a lot of moisture in air. The moisture will cause corrosion of the wheel and deteorate the rubber of the tire over time. and eat the tire pressure monitor if you had one.That said . just use air.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #6
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

I would say No too. For the street it just worthless, and for the track you need to see the changes from cold to hot too find the correct psi.

For the track your looking for 5-7 psi gain(cold to hot). Any gain lower than that is too much psi to start off with. Gain 8-10 is too low psi starting off with. < thats almost a C/P
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #7
CANTFUNCTION
ninjette.org member

I was the same thing I was thinking Kelly. As for the valve cap they are not green.

I think they just put the green caps on all the fast bikes.

Old May 30th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #8
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANTFUNCTION View Post
I think they just put the green caps on all the fast bikes.
no, they put all the fast motors into the green bikes.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2009, 04:18 PM   #9
CANTFUNCTION
ninjette.org member

I think I will just fill with air when it is time for new tries then. Thanks for all your help and very fast response.

Old May 30th, 2009, 07:30 PM   #10
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I use helium. It gives you wings, or is that Red Bull?

Old May 30th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #11
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

i always laugh when the oil change place i take my jeep to wants to sell me nitrogen for my tires. Agree with racer x that nitro is less temperature sensitive (more stable) than air. Thats why you check tire pressure when cold. Heat of riding increases pressure more in air. That is why rear shocks of bikes are charged with nitro and not air (though not sure if250 shock has nitro charge). In the late 70s a lot of mx bikes had air shocks and air in forks. As the suspensions pounded up and down the heat built up then the air got hotter then the suspension got harsher. old pics of mx bikes will show schraeder valves on top of fork tubes. Long story short - waste of money to put nitrogen in road bike tires.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2009, 08:59 AM   #12
gizmogamez
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE Green

wow...crazy you guys get charged for the nitorgen in your tires....I asked several places about that and every dealer that sells a product that comes with nitorgen in the tires will fill them again for free, you just have to take it back to the dealer....
if your car or whatever didn't come with nitrogen and you go somewhere other then your dealer i'm not sure though.
if you are out and find you need to top up the pressure though, you can put air into the tire until you are able to make it to the dealer where they will drain the tire and then refill it...
gizmogamez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2009, 09:24 AM   #13
backinthesaddleagain

this is a quick lube place near me that charges for nigrogen.

Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:18 AM   #14
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
freudian slip

Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:35 PM   #15
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmogamez View Post
wow...crazy you guys get charged for the nitorgen in your tires....I asked several places about that and every dealer that sells a product that comes with nitorgen in the tires will fill them again for free, you just have to take it back to the dealer....
if your car or whatever didn't come with nitrogen and you go somewhere other then your dealer i'm not sure though.
if you are out and find you need to top up the pressure though, you can put air into the tire until you are able to make it to the dealer where they will drain the tire and then refill it...
Gizmo - what up in Canada comes with nitrogen in the tires? Can't think of anything around here (New England).