ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 5th, 2009, 07:14 PM   #1
hzrnbgy
ninjette.org member

Name: HzrnBgy

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Black Ninja 250R, 2004 Yellow Ninja 250R

shipping motorcycle....

so heres the situation. im shipping my ninjette on monday june 8. the shipping company luckily provides a container big enough to throw the bike in. All i have to do is to securely strap it inside so it doesnt move. how do i go about this? i was told the containers are provided with hooks and permanent fixtures to attach the straps and everything.

where should i strap the bike securely? do i need some wheel chokes?

for those that race their bikes, how do you usually strap your bike at the back of your pick up truck. im assuming it should be similar to what im about to do.

i needed your help badly. thanks
hzrnbgy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #2
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Where are you shipping it too and which company?

nb

Old June 5th, 2009, 07:20 PM   #3
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

We just use a canyon dancer harness and a coupe of tie-downs on the front - worked great to get her home.
pm me and I can see if I can scare up a pic

Old June 5th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #4
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

You can get motorcycle tie downs like those made by Ancra. They often have a ratchet or cam mechanism so you can pull down on them and they don't loosen until you press the release. These work better than hardware store general purpose straps. The handlebars between the triple clamp and the switchsets are a good place up front. Not sure whats a good place on the back of the ninja (remove the tail plastic and connect to the underseat frame tubes?). In a pinch i have gotten some used crating straps that were used to secure new bikes in their crates on their way to the dealer.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #5
kkim

use tie downs... good tie downs... ancra reds.

you can also buy some ancra sof ties to loop around the handlebars to prevent the tie down hooks from scratching the bike.

push the front wheel of the bike against the wall of the container so the bike is perpendicular to the wall. run the straps through the handlebars where it won't touch any bodywork. connect tie downs to hooks in the container and pull the front wheel/tire forward against the container wall until you feel the bike is stable and solid.You want it as tight as it takes to keep it from moving, but not so tight that you are bottoming the forks.

Pull the tiedowns so the bike stands as upright as possible. When you are satisfied with how the bike is tied to the container, take a piece of rubber inner tube or a tie wrap and use it to pull the front brake lever back towards the throttle until the front brake is applied. At that point the bike should be solid in the container.

You can leave the kickstand up and the bike in gear.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2009, 11:12 PM   #6
hzrnbgy
ninjette.org member

Name: HzrnBgy

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Black Ninja 250R, 2004 Yellow Ninja 250R

im shipping it to maui for my summer internship.

ive got a couple of tiedowns but these are the general purpose ones i got from a local hardware store. i have a bunch of nylon cords long enough to wrap around the bike five times.

so the bike gotta be upright and not on the kickstand. i was thinking of running a rope from the container hooks to the passenger footpeg arms. for the handlebar, its a bit different as i have clip ons installed. getting the bike in gear and front brake applied sounds like a good idea too. never thought about that.

if you guys have some picture, that would be cool too. im printing one as a guide.

as for taking the plastics out to gain access into the frame, ill look into it.

thanks a lot guys
hzrnbgy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #7
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Internship in Maui - congats and good luck. I am envious.
Posted via Mobile Device
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote