Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Notices

Old February 9th, 2009, 11:12 AM   #1
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

Las Escobas Track Bike

The 250 is finally ready for the track. We picked it up from Billy Wiese at WRW Racing on saturday morning after he finished setting up our suspension and tuning our carbs on his dyno, and went right to work doing the final assembly on the body. I created some templates for the number plates using butcher paper, then we applied the yellow vinal with the aid of some soapy water, a hair dryer and some patience. We finished it off with some pin striping tape and it looks pretty nice. if you're interested in following us as the season progresses, subscribe to my blog here: Las Escobas Racing

Pipe
the pipe we choose is a full Yoshimura system. After we already had it in our hands we found out about a pipe called Area P that seems to be a little better, but our dyno results show they’re about even. i like the look of the yoshi better anyways.

Rear Sets
We choose woodcraft for our rearsets. they seem like a great quality product and bring the pegs up and back just the right amount. we’ve also crashed the left side rearset already and it held up pretty well.

black with woodcraft controls:

silver with OEM controls (our backup set)... before we cut off the kickstand mount:

Clipons
Initially we bought the Vortex Clipons. I really liked them, but in order to mount them above the triple tree you have to drop your forks down about 1/2 inch. The problem with doing that is that it begins to limit some of your adjustment (can’t raise the front of the bike if we want), and lowering the front takes away from the feel of the bike. instead of getting good feed back from the front end warning you of a lowside, it just goes. you can also mount them below the triple tree to solve that problem, but then the bars are too low to clear the body work. We’ve now listed those on ebay, and installed the woodcraft clipons. As always, their quality is top notch and we have full adjustability of the height of the bike, which our tuner likes. sorry, i forgot to take some good picts of the woodcraft clipons.

vortex

Race Plastics
Theres a few options for race plastics out there now. we ended up with the hotbodies set. they look pretty good and weren’t too hard to instal. overal i don’t have too many complaints about them. we did have to trim the belly pan to clear the chain and exhaust, and the front fairing to help clear the brake and clutch levers, but that wasn’t a big deal. We got them painted by our friends at Texas Chrome Worxs.

Suspension
This is where we spent some money (its usually the best place to do it). we splurged after the advice from our tuner and bought the Penske Triple Clicker rear shock. It looks great on the bike and will give us all the adjustments we need to really dial in the bike. We also had our forks rebuilt with new internals and springs. This combination should give us top notch handling.

Tires
Our tire sponsor has set us up with some Bridgestone tires. We ended up with a 120/70 BT003 soft front & a 140/70 BT090 rear. No one makes a competitive tire in a 130/70 so we upsized the rear to a 140, but doing that required a height change in the front. The 120 soft compound works really good on that bike and lasts forever.

Protection
We ended up with a pretty cool setup from Shogun for our frame sliders. the kit came complete with bar ends and rear spools. Its much sturdier than the Intuitive sliders since they have a real sturdy bar that runs from the front motor mount to the rear one that the slider attaches too.

Misc.
Of course we safety wired everything and replaced the antifreeze with water wetter. We also cut off the kickstand mount since it hangs out far enough to dig into the pavement and take you out. We’ve also eliminated the dash. Partly because it’ll bring in some money on Ebay, and we really don’t need all that. we’re planning on making our own dash with a few idiot lights and a tach soon.

We’re very excited to get out on the track. The suspense is driving us crazy. I think we’ve done all our homework and prepared well, so our first outing should be very successful. hopefully it doesn’t take me long to feel out the bike and we can get on the box!

Old February 9th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #2
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kurosaki 250, 09 Honda 600RawrRawr

Very nice!

Post up pics on the track when you get out there and video too if you can.
Kurosaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #3
VeX
That's me!

Name: TJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Tis blue), 2008 CBR600RR

Very well done! Yeah good call on the woodcraft clip-ons for adjustability of your fork height While it's kind of a pain to adjust your fork tubes up/down, it gives SOME adjustability. Are you restricted and required to use a steering damper?
VeX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2009, 03:59 PM   #4
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Looks pretty nice!

Good luck on the season
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2009, 04:48 PM   #5
Broom
Track Junkie

no, we don't have to use a steering dampener since the 250 is considered a "mini"

Old February 9th, 2009, 05:26 PM   #6
VeX
That's me!

Name: TJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Tis blue), 2008 CBR600RR

Yeah it doesn't make a terrible amount of sense (unless you REALLY went buck wild raising the forks). I was inquiring because I guess the WERA rules where CajunTLR (I believe it's CajunTLR) require everyone to have 'em. So he had to fab one up !
VeX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2009, 06:46 PM   #7
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Jon - thanks for the pics and the editorial. It looks like someone is going to be having fun this summer.

Old February 12th, 2009, 08:28 AM   #8
RaceBikeRentals
Pimpin

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): Bunch of em

Nice!!!

Old February 13th, 2009, 09:23 AM   #9
BradtheAg
ninjette.org member

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): None yet

wow that is freaking bad ass. i'm in dallas as well, any chance i could come by and see the bike some time?
BradtheAg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2009, 09:42 AM   #10
Broom
Track Junkie

the bike is actually at my parents house down near the killeen/ft. hood area right now. we haven't decided if thats where the bike will live for the season or not yet. my brother went to MMI, so naturally he wants it around to work on (lives at my parents), but i've got the big, nice truck to pull the trailer around.... we'll see how it works out.

Old February 13th, 2009, 12:55 PM   #11
BradtheAg
ninjette.org member

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Cool, thanks. I'm going to buy one of my own soon hopefully.
BradtheAg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2009, 10:39 AM   #12
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

that is awesome - it that shogun kit retail and available?
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2009, 11:46 AM   #13
Broom
Track Junkie

yeah, i think my dad got it through cycle gear

Old March 9th, 2009, 01:23 AM   #14
zartan
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

Your rad bike is still my desktop. People at work ask is it mine?? I say no but it would be funner to lie.

Hey !! please keep me posted on how the exhaust hanger handles the racing stress. I always appreciate feedback. Thanks!

Old March 9th, 2009, 01:40 AM   #15
Broom
Track Junkie

thats your hanger? i didn't realize that. .... so far we've had 2 low sides on the left side, and we have about 7 or 8 hours of track time on the bike. holding up fine. i'll let you know if we crash on the right or if something changes.

Old March 9th, 2009, 08:58 AM   #16
zartan
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

just don't be crashing at all ok???

Old March 9th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #17
Broom
Track Junkie

tell that to my teammates... and the weather man :/