ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old May 3rd, 2009, 05:26 PM   #1
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mikel

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue Kawasaki KLE650 Versys, '95 Ducati 900SS/CR (undergoing track conversion)

First Track Day after 4 years of recovery...

I had a mechanical failure, that became catastrophic by the time the bike was finished tumbling down the road. Anyways, I ended up with some extra metal in my arm at the elbow and some nerve damage (my funny bone now resides on the inside of my arm under the bicep). Until recently the nerve damage caused enough concern that I wasn't sure I would be able to make and control an emergency stop. The damage is permanent, but with therapy and work, it has made it so the lack of nerve command only affects my pinky and half of the next finger. I don't use those to work the brake lever, to its easy to just keep them on throttle duty.

So this track day was to knock the rust off my skills, and let me relearn my limits as well as the limits of my Ninja. The heavier springs made things perfect. I was able to go through some of the rougher lines of the track that were causing others fits with some "Sketchy" moments...

My impressions...I love it, she handles like a dream, and for this track she was perfectly geared to save on shifting, and letting me focus on the cornering skills that had rusted over.

The track was dusty thanks to last weekends Off-Road Truck event, so a few of the corners were a bit on the timid side until about the 3rd session when the different ride groups managed to clear some good lines. Til then, it was point and pray...

I need new tires before the next track day

wyckedflesh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2009, 05:30 PM   #2
jonb08
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

Welcome back man. You'll knock that rust off real quick. Nice bike.
jonb08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:56 PM   #3
kkim

when you're ready, buy a green one for even more speed.

congrats on getting back on the horse.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:46 PM   #4
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

congrats on the remount, can't say git back on the horse, SOMEONE already said it

anywho, glad to know the prognosis is good and you have work arounds for the controls,

nb

Old May 4th, 2009, 11:55 AM   #5
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

welcome back to the track. sounds like you had fun

Old May 5th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #6
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue Kawasaki KLE650 Versys, '95 Ducati 900SS/CR (undergoing track conversion)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
when you're ready, buy a green one for even more speed.
So I can slip and slide all over the track in the slime falling off the fairings?

Wife and I were talking last night after work, and she is asking what would be cheaper, a dedicated track day bike or running my commuter. I haven't decided but it is interesting that she is the one bringing it up. I don't intend on racing anytime soon, just hit up the monthly track day every month or two.

Old May 7th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #7
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Old May 8th, 2009, 10:44 AM   #8
rceezy
Lean Me

Name: RC

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

SWEET... I am so happy to hear you're back out there. Congrats! Looks like a lot of fun!
rceezy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2009, 09:02 PM   #9
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kurosaki 250, 09 Honda 600RawrRawr

ride or gay

that's my motto
Kurosaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2009, 09:23 PM   #10
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyckedflesh View Post
Wife and I were talking last night after work, and she is asking what would be cheaper, a dedicated track day bike or running my commuter.
Sounds like you have a very special lady their Mikel.

Old May 8th, 2009, 09:35 PM   #11
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kurosaki 250, 09 Honda 600RawrRawr

I would get some track fairings for the bike and just switch back and forth when you track it. Save the money for tires and such.

Or track it as is. The 250 is not so bad. The whole right or left fairing is only about 260 new compared to 250 dollars for just one piece of a fairing on a supersport...

But track fairings are cheap peace of mind that it doesn't really matter if you lay it down. Give you the freedom to really let loose. I've already crashed mine in street trim at the track so I don't care anyway.
Kurosaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2009, 11:46 PM   #12
i916it
ninjette.org member

Name: Sky

Motorcycle(s): 250R 08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosaki View Post
I would get some track fairings for the bike and just switch back and forth when you track it. Save the money for tires and such.

Or track it as is. The 250 is not so bad. The whole right or left fairing is only about 260 new compared to 250 dollars for just one piece of a fairing on a supersport...

But track fairings are cheap peace of mind that it doesn't really matter if you lay it down. Give you the freedom to really let loose. I've already crashed mine in street trim at the track so I don't care anyway.
This is an old post but.
After your baby gets beasted (cracks/rash/no more beauty), you start to go all out!
i916it is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2009, 06:29 AM   #13
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
That's when your bike becomes a race bike!