ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 Tech Talk

Notices

Old September 26th, 2019, 03:14 PM   #1
paqmanbiker
ninjette.org member

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Fork seals kit

So I am considering doing the fork seals on my 2013 300. But I'm not sure where to get tall the parts I need. I know the oil I will buy separately, but do you all know of a good kit that has all the parts I will need to do the seals? I haven't done forks before so I don't know the parts well enough to just order them piece by piece.

Is there a good place to get a kit? Or even just a good site where I can get all the parts I need? Just not sure which parts I really need to replace.

Thanks!
paqmanbiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2019, 06:19 PM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Try Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ninja+300+fork+seals
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2019, 07:54 PM   #3
paqmanbiker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Ha ok I've looked on Amazon, and eBay, and yes there are plenty of kits out there. But I know nothing about them. I come to a Ninja forum to find out what the experienced Ninja guys prefer. I was hoping someone here would say, I've bought xyz fork seals from xyz.com and they were great, those ones on ebay are crap, get these ones.

Old September 26th, 2019, 07:57 PM   #4
BoBO
ninjette.org guru

Name: Genesis

Motorcycle(s): SC28 Fireblade

Just buy some OEM seals with thicker oil weight or the right springs depending on weight.
BoBO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2019, 07:59 PM   #5
paqmanbiker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBO View Post
Just buy some OEM seals with thicker oil weight or the right springs depending on weight.
Why a thicker oil weight? I don't want to change it, I want to leave it how it is. I assumed I was going to buy the proper oem oil.

Old September 26th, 2019, 08:49 PM   #6
BoBO
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by paqmanbiker View Post
Why a thicker oil weight? I don't want to change it, I want to leave it how it is. I assumed I was going to buy the proper oem oil.
Well I don't know how much you weigh? But the Ninja 250/300 forks tend to be on the spongy side of the spectrum. I'm about 155 lbs and I find it too soft for daily and track. My preload adjusters does help a bit will have them rebuilt soon though with maybe a custom setup.

If you like the stock setup that's good for you it's cheaper that way. Thicker oil helps make the forks firmer along with aftermarket springs and valving.

Old September 26th, 2019, 08:57 PM   #7
paqmanbiker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Well I don't know how much you weigh? But the Ninja 250/300 forks tend to be on the spongy side of the spectrum. I'm about 155 lbs and I find it too soft for daily and track. My preload adjusters does help a bit will have them rebuilt soon though with maybe a custom setup.

If you like the stock setup that's good for you it's cheaper that way. Thicker oil helps make the forks firmer along with aftermarket springs and valving.
I'm 160, and I don't go to the track, and I havent really ridden any other sport bike so I just don't have much of an opinion. Just want to save money, not make changes and keep it pretty stock.

Old September 26th, 2019, 09:25 PM   #8
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
You can always get OEM seals: https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/...646/front-fork

Or go with All Balls:
https://www.allballsracing.com/56-123.html

Note installation requires some precision. A lot of reports of incompatibility or durability issues comes from sloppy and lazy installation mistakes (hammer & screwdriver not proper tools for removal and assembly).
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2019, 04:50 AM   #9
paqmanbiker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
You can always get OEM seals: https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/...646/front-fork

Or go with All Balls:
https://www.allballsracing.com/56-123.html

Note installation requires some precision. A lot of reports of incompatibility or durability issues comes from sloppy and lazy installation mistakes (hammer & screwdriver not proper tools for removal and assembly).
Thank you! Yeah I'm still not entirely sure I want to do it myself or not. I found the writeup here to be very helpful, and I'm always very careful, but yeah I don't want to screw anything up and just cause myself more costly repairs.

Old September 27th, 2019, 09:16 PM   #10
BoBO
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I'm 160, and I don't go to the track, and I havent really ridden any other sport bike so I just don't have much of an opinion. Just want to save money, not make changes and keep it pretty stock.
You definitely bought the right bike to save cash! Are you leaking oil or is something wrong with your forks? Its like $300 to have a rebuild done.If you're leaking oil just get motion pro fork savers.

Last futzed with by BoBO; September 27th, 2019 at 11:25 PM.

Old September 27th, 2019, 09:37 PM   #11
paqmanbiker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
You definitely bought the right bike to save cash! Are you leaking oil or is something wrong with your forks? Its like $300 to have a rebuild done.If you're leaking oil just get motion pro fork savers.
Well I just noticed one fork is completely clean, the other has oily dirt and residue up on the tube. So I assumed the seal had gone bad and oil was leaking out. I think I am going to try something like those seal mates to try to clean the seal out and see if maybe it is just some dirt trapped in there causing the leak. At least before I go spending money and/or time on new seals.

Edit: Just got a couple pics. Here is the good fork:

And the leaky one:

Old September 27th, 2019, 11:24 PM   #12
BoBO
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Well I just noticed one fork is completely clean, the other has oily dirt and residue up on the tube. So I assumed the seal had gone bad and oil was leaking out. I think I am going to try something like those seal mates to try to clean the seal out and see if maybe it is just some dirt trapped in there causing the leak. At least before I go spending money and/or time on new seals.
My 250 looked like that when it was leaking oil. The motion pro fixed the leak after a few try's it took only a few minutes. Once in a while I'll clean the area where the seal meets the fork.

Old September 30th, 2019, 06:50 AM   #13
paqmanbiker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
My 250 looked like that when it was leaking oil. The motion pro fixed the leak after a few try's it took only a few minutes. Once in a while I'll clean the area where the seal meets the fork.
Thanks, yeah after this thread I've decided to try the seal mate first and just give it a good cleaning.