ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 1st, 2012, 08:35 PM   #1
Kangxi
OMRRA 701

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): 'jette, R6

help me map gauge wires into harness wires

Hi all,

I am trying to install a very simple Koso tach, which has four wires:

white: RPM wire
black: ground wire
brown: "wire connect key on DC12V main power switch"
red: connect to positive pole of battery

Attached in the pix are a photo of the wiring diagramme and the four wires coming off the tach for good measure. White and black are pretty self-explanatory, but could someome please help me understand what to do with brown and red? The Koso package comes with plastic connectors that will clip the wires coming off the tach onto wires on the main harness but I don't know which wires to attach them to.

PS I know there is a Koso tach DIY but it's totally an epic discussion and I could not be arsed to wade through it all - I tried

thanks~!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0266.jpg (20.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0264.jpg (60.7 KB, 6 views)
Kangxi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2012, 08:36 PM   #2
Kangxi
OMRRA 701

le bump!

Old April 17th, 2012, 10:32 AM   #3
Kangxi
OMRRA 701

Hi all -

Could anyone please confirm my reading of the Kawi wiring diagram? My understanding of wires coming off the ignition is as follows:
  • WHITE runs to the battery and is therefore constant power
  • BROWN is "switched power"

Is this correct?
>>>
for quick reference/review here is the kawi wiring diagram:

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/att..._schematic.jpg

Old April 18th, 2012, 10:17 AM   #4
RaceTech Electric
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): 1988 FJ1100

I don't have a for sure answer for you yet but I'm working on it. Do you just want to verify the ignition wire colors and figure out what the white and brown wires are for? The white wire is for sure your main power to the switch from the battery, but it's a little hard for me to figure out if the brown wire is key on power without having a bike here to test. It looks to me that it is "power on" but i'm not 100%. I'm going to consult another person and get back to you on the brown wire.

www.racetechelectric.com
RaceTech Electric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #5
RaceTech Electric
ninjette.org member

I don't have the best eyes, so I found a larger version of this wiring schematic. The white wire is battery power and the Brown wire connects to the white wire when the ignition is in the "on" position and is hot until the key is turned off.

Hope this helps!
Jordan

www.racetechelectric.com

Old April 18th, 2012, 03:09 PM   #6
Kangxi
OMRRA 701

Thanks RaceTech for the reply.

I got the tach working last night and here's how it's wired now. A friend explained that we needed to tap the red koso wire into one of the wires coming off of the ignition module getting switched power such as "tail2" (the one we selected). This wire gets power when the key is turned to on, therefore the tach gets full power from that line when the bike is operating, just as the taillights do.

Apparently the brown wire coming off the tach is for constant power so that the memory settings are not lost.

don't quote me on any of this folks, I'm just learning. YMMV!

thanks
Attached Images
File Type: png koso.png (14.7 KB, 14 views)

Old April 18th, 2012, 03:38 PM   #7
RaceTech Electric
ninjette.org member

Looks like you guys figured it out, but just for fun let me run through the whole thing again.

The gauge has 4 wires coming off of it:

>White wire needs to be wrapped around a spark plug wire for the signal input.

>Black wire grounds to the frame or spliced to an already existing ground.

>Brown wire needs to be spliced to a Key-On Power wire like the brown wire off of your ignition switch or one of the wires from a light (although I would recommend doing it off of the brown wire at the ignition switch rather than tapping into another light source, but the gauge takes so little power to operate that this shouldn't matter)

>Red wire needs to be connected to a constant battery power supply such as the white wire going into or coming off of your ignition switch.

Have fun with the new gauge!
Jordan

www.racetechelectric.com

Old April 18th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #8
RaceTech Electric
ninjette.org member

I read your description wrong, you don't have the gauge hooked up to a constant power source. You have to 12V feeds but both are only hot when the key is on. You need to connect the red power wire to the white wire off of the ignition which runs straight to the battery. The tail 2 wire is only hot when the ignition is on, so there is no power keeping any data saved when the bike is off. If you have a gauge that doesn't have any stored data, this won't really matter and you can leave the gauge how it it, but if it does store data and you want to keep it you will have to connect to the battery positive.

Sorry for the mistake.
Jordan

www.racetechelectric.com

Old April 18th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #9
Kangxi
OMRRA 701

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTech Electric View Post
I read your description wrong, you don't have the gauge hooked up to a constant power source. You have to 12V feeds but both are only hot when the key is on. You need to connect the red power wire to the white wire off of the ignition which runs straight to the battery. The tail 2 wire is only hot when the ignition is on, so there is no power keeping any data saved when the bike is off. If you have a gauge that doesn't have any stored data, this won't really matter and you can leave the gauge how it it, but if it does store data and you want to keep it you will have to connect to the battery positive.
I got it! that makes sense, thank you Jordan much appreciated. I'll have to rewire into the white wire running back to the battery to use the memory functions for the shift light point and so forth. Another thing to do, but really appreciate the help.

Old April 18th, 2012, 06:08 PM   #10
RaceTech Electric
ninjette.org member

No problem man, let me know how everything works out or if you run into any other problems.

www.racetechelectric.com