ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 31st, 2011, 06:15 PM   #1
CmichRider
ninjette.org member

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250

Gas leaking, carbs out, what to look for?

My bike started leaking fuel suddenly about three days ago- I figured it was a stuck float, I read that was common and could cause that problem.

Carbs are out right now. I took the jets out and cleaned them, one pilot jet was halfway clogged, but clear now. Otherwise, the carbs look brand new on the inside. The PO was in here before, stripped screws and an unattached idle knob let me know that.

What should I look for that could potentially cause this fuel leak? It looked like the fuel was leaking from some place above the bowls.
CmichRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2011, 05:21 PM   #2
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

How are the float bowl gaskets? Also, check the float needle seat and make sure there's no crud in there. If there's no fuel filter, add one.

Old August 1st, 2011, 06:23 PM   #3
CmichRider
ninjette.org member

Float bowl gaskets are in decent shape, I see nothing that is a red flag for them. Float needle seat seems to have been clear also. I will add a fuel filter soon here.

I managed to get new screws for the carbs from Home Depot, hex tops on them and everything...so long stripped screws!

Old August 1st, 2011, 07:11 PM   #4
CynicalC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmichRider View Post
Float bowl gaskets are in decent shape, I see nothing that is a red flag for them. Float needle seat seems to have been clear also. I will add a fuel filter soon here.

I managed to get new screws for the carbs from Home Depot, hex tops on them and everything...so long stripped screws!

In line fuel filter cost me $1.35 at kragen. My petcock didn't have a filter on the reserve pickup, and some crud got into the bowls and was keeping that needle from seating.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:33 AM   #5
CmichRider
ninjette.org member

Dunno what a kragen is, but we don't have them here in michigan.

I'm sure some other auto parts place will have one.

In my rush yesterday at the Home Depot, I got 12mm screws instead of 14 or 16..so they aren't long enough to be effective...

I also turned the petcock to "on", to check if it was faulty. No leaks or anything from it..makes me wonder how this thing was leaking fuel to begin with.

ALSO- Where the airbox attaches to the carbs, are there suppose to be springs or some sort of thing to tighten down the boots? Mine are missing anything of the sort.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 08:07 AM   #6
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
yes theres supposed to be spring clamps where the carbs attach to the airbox
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2011, 10:21 AM   #7
CmichRider
ninjette.org member

I see, it doesn't matter anyways, because I can't get those boots to fit correctly. One is the problem, it had stiffened up and is almost like hard plastic now. Boiling them made it slightly better. It's going two ways right now, the boots attach to the airbox but i cant get the one on the carb, or I attach them to the carb but cant get them onto the airbox. Im about to say screw it, and go get some pod filters.

Old August 12th, 2011, 12:45 PM   #8
CynicalC

Well I can send you the boots off my bike if you want. They're off a 96 but I've had the carbs on and off half a dozen times with no problems. I really think you are just expecting it to go easier than it is going to. Put a pair of gloves on and get your hands in there. Realize you might bang a knuckle or two and be uncomfortable but it's not just gonna fall into place.