ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 14th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #1
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

Name: L

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R, '13 CBR500R

clutch lever "plastic spring pin"

so i lubed my clutch cable today, but i accidentally broke off the plastic spring pin that the clutch lever is supposed push in. see the pics below courtesy of kkim. what exactly does this pin do? i took the bike out for a ride and everything was fine so should i be worried?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04769-1.JPG (66.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04788-1.JPG (77.5 KB, 16 views)
gt_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2011, 04:21 PM   #2
kkim

I believe that's part of the clutch switch that prevents starting of the bike while in gear with the side stand down.

try it... put the bike up on a rear stand, put it in gear and try starting the bike with the sidestand down. it shouldn't start with the clutch lever out, but should with the clutch lever pulled in. does it?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #3
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

tried it, no start when kickstand down, 1st gear, and clutch lever pulled in. also no start when kickstand down, 1st gear, and clutch lever left untouched. i thought that anytime the kickstand was down and the bike in gear you couldn't start the bike at all. only when bike is neutral with kickstand down can you start the bike. is that right? not that it matters but whew, i thought i broke something really important. good to know its not too big of deal. thanks kkim.

Old May 14th, 2011, 04:48 PM   #4
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Um...if its broke, and he trys to start it in gear....get ready for a jolt.

It keeps you from starting it in gear with the clutch out....kickstand up i think...
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2011, 04:51 PM   #5
kkim

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Checkin..._safety_switch

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Cleanin..._clutch_switch

Old May 14th, 2011, 04:52 PM   #6
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
Um...if its broke, and he trys to start it in gear....get ready for a jolt.

It keeps you from starting it in gear with the clutch out....kickstand up i think...
which is why I advised him to put it up on a rear stand, first.

Old May 14th, 2011, 04:55 PM   #7
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

i think i figured it out. with the pin broken, the safety switch that checks if you have the clutch pulled in when in gear and kickstand up no longer works. just tried it out and it starts up when you have the kickstand up, 1st gear, and clutch not pulled in. so with the pin broke the safety sensor is always off now. no problem for me, as i have made it a habit to always pull in the clutch before starting it up just incase it is in gear. can never trust that neutral light.

Old September 5th, 2011, 04:08 PM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Umm, it's "no problem" because it now will not start unless it's in neutral, in which case it doesn't matter if you pull the clutch or not.

I'm having the same problem after a drop on the right side. I need to follow it because nothing should be wrong there.

Last futzed with by CZroe; September 5th, 2011 at 05:29 PM.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2011, 04:12 PM   #9
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Umm, it's "no problem" because it now will not start unless it's in neutral, in which case it doesn't matter if you pull the clutch or not.
Actually, it's the opposite. The pin senses when the clutch lever is pulled, and when the pin breaks, it thinks the clutch lever is always pulled. So the bike will start when it is in neutral, but it will also now spin the starter motor when you are in gear and clutch isn't in; that's the problem.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2011, 04:21 PM   #10
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Then why is mine unable to start except in neutral? It doesn't even try.

Last futzed with by CZroe; September 5th, 2011 at 05:29 PM.

Old September 5th, 2011, 04:23 PM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Then your pin is stuck in, not broken. Jiggle it. The most common problem is the plastic breaks so switch always looks like the lever is pulled. If it's stuck in, and doesn't come out at all when the lever is pulled, then it will behave like you're experiencing (the bike doesn't ever know the lever is pulled).

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old September 5th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #12
CZroe
CPT Falcon

I'll have to see when I get home. Thanks. My understanding is that if it were stuck "in" then it would be as if I were holding the lever in. Instead, it's as if I am NOT holding the lever in.

Old September 5th, 2011, 04:42 PM   #13
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Your understanding is opposite to how it works. Check it out when you're looking at it, it will become immediately clear, I promise.

Old September 5th, 2011, 06:38 PM   #14
eds2fitty
ninjette.org member

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R SE

Sorry to bring this thread back up but i too broke that pin and now my clutch lever is more loose than usual... Anything i can do about that?
eds2fitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2011, 07:02 PM   #15
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eds2fitty View Post
Sorry to bring this thread back up but i too broke that pin and now my clutch lever is more loose than usual... Anything i can do about that?
the pin does not have anything to do with lever being loose. i have a china shorty lever and its also very loose. some people say you can find a nylon washer @ a hardware store and put it between the bolt that holds the lever on. that should help with the loose lever.

Old September 5th, 2011, 09:39 PM   #16
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eds2fitty View Post
Why? Like most forums, we actually prefer to continue conversations in existing threads rather than making new ones for previously discussed topics.

Old September 6th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #17
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

In case ya wanted to see inside that switch, here's a link to a related thread and the related wiki on ninja250.org