Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old June 8th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #1
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
First steps into track-dom

So I've been wanting to take a bike to the track basically since i started riding 50cc minibikes as a kid... but i've never taken the initiative to actually start going due to fears that i didn't have adequate skills/gear/time/money/etc...

well i think it's time to start moving in that direction, so i've been reading as much as i can about how to get into it all. (i don't actually know anyone who goes to the track)

should i just go sign up for a class c track day and an intro track lesson? do i need the intro track lesson? do they offer the info i need without the personalized track lesson? (ie- flag signals, entrance/lineup/exit procedures, etc) what other topics do these style of intro track courses cover? i've seen more expensive ones where they follow you with a camera and show you exactly what you're doing wrong... is this really going to help me much on my first track day? i can understand a basic lesson would help greatly, but this super-detailed version? would i really be able to grasp it all so quickly in addition to all the new info on track procedures etc?

should i rent a bike and/or leathers for my first time, or use my own? how much do leather rentals usually cost? (i couldn't find info on this on the track websites i looked at) do the tracks themselves rent things like this out? or is it a separate/independent vendor like rentmyninja.com?
do most tracks have the same bike requirements? i'm planning to go to chuckwalla and/or willowsprings... (probably willowsprings first because it's $50 cheaper)
i know i need to change to water/waterwetter and have appropriate tires...
but do i need an underbelly i didn't see anything about underbellys on the chuckwalla site? do i need to drill/tie my bolts? should i spend time messing with fork oil and spring weight before i get to the track, or can i leave that until i'm actually getting up to decent speeds and have a need to modify it? I've seen motorcycle shops i go to offer "track prep" kits... should i just have them setup my bike for the track? granted i haven't actually asked them what's included in the "track prep" kit... obviously i wouldn't need to worry about this if i rented a bike/gear...

wow, sorry for so many questions... i get like a kid in a candy store with bikes.

Old June 8th, 2010, 05:34 PM   #2
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Both rental companies in CA can hook you up with everything you need. New tires often times can cost as much as a rental bike for the day. You never know if this will be a one time deal or a repeated event. So rent first, then deck out the bike if you want to do more track days. Sears point is the best track on the 250 here in California. If you schedule permits come up and rent from Feel Like a Pro Brian will treat you right and you'll have an awesome time. But there is nothing wrong with willow springs either.

Old June 9th, 2010, 07:32 PM   #3
RaceBikeRentals
Pimpin

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): Bunch of em

Alex,

I handle the rentals at Willow Springs: www.RaceBikeRentals.com

Old June 9th, 2010, 08:47 PM   #4
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Thanks for the info, guys. Matt I will definitely remember that for the next time I'm up north.

Old June 10th, 2010, 01:31 PM   #5
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrack157 View Post
But there is nothing wrong with willow springs either.
Other than it being in the Mojave desert..... it's great
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #6
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Ya I'll never race there personally. Too hot plus my bike is illegal with their rules setup.

Old June 10th, 2010, 02:26 PM   #7
Dmitriy
voda?

Name: Dmitriy

Motorcycle(s): .... & a Ninja 250 duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrack157 View Post
Ya I'll never race there personally. Too hot plus my bike is illegal with their rules setup.
Any chance you are coming out to race thill this weekend?
Dmitriy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #8
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

I will be there friday, saturday, and sunday but no racing.