ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 4th, 2012, 08:46 AM   #1
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Name: Noor

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Ninja 250r

valves keep going out of spec. Causes?

Hey guys. I recently took my bike to a mechanic to do a valve adjustment because when I did it about a day later my valves were out of spec and loose as hell. I'm not sure if I'm being an auto hypochondriac but i it sounds like my valves are already becoming loose. Is there any sort of of issue that could be causing my valves to loosen up so quickly?

I don't know if it's a related problem but my tach hand started to flutter whenever I started getting thes valve issues and it still is.is this normal or should my tach cable sit completely still at idle? It also acts strangely when I go WOT where the bike will, after maybe a second or two of holding the throttle all the way down the rpms will suddenly shoot up. Shouldn't there be no pause?
Posted via Mobile Device
Monkeytofu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Did you tighten the lock-nuts to spec with the feeler gauge still between the cam lobe and the rocker?

The valves typically get tight on their own, not loose.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #3
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Did you tighten the lock-nuts to spec with the feeler gauge still between the cam lobe and the rocker?

The valves typically get tight on their own, not loose.
I made sure to check before and after when I did it myself. However this time a mechanic did the job for me since I was at a loss for why they would become loose both times I did it. The sound hasn't gotten too loud but I'll be taking it to him this weekend just to get a second opinion.

I have no idea how they got loose the first two times because I did tighten them to spec.

Old September 4th, 2012, 06:26 PM   #4
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Pixies.

Old September 5th, 2012, 05:25 AM   #5
davenay67
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Goldwing GL1800, 2002 Ninja 250, 2001 VFR800, 1999 Ducati 996

Check your valve clearances and confirm whether they are actually looser, or just sound looser.

I read another thread on this site where a member was having similar sounding issues to you, and everything was fixed when he installed a new CCT. Not saying that this is true in your case, but just a thought....
davenay67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2012, 07:31 AM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
A vacuum test could reveal hidden problems:

http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/en...cuum-test.html

http://www.austincc.edu/wkibbe/vacuumtesting.pdf

As far as I know, bad battery messes with the tachometer.

Some reasons that occur to me for the problem with the valves:
If valves are sealing on carbon build-up, if cam shaft, guides or some rockers are getting loose, if points of contact don't receive proper lubrication, if valves are not returning back all the way during calibration.

I should be quiet after what I did to your carburetor.............
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #7
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenay67 View Post
Check your valve clearances and confirm whether they are actually looser, or just sound looser.

I read another thread on this site where a member was having similar sounding issues to you, and everything was fixed when he installed a new CCT. Not saying that this is true in your case, but just a thought....
Wish there was a MCT for bike. I never was able to find out if the newgen ones fit on our bikes :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
A vacuum test could reveal hidden problems:

http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/en...cuum-test.html

http://www.austincc.edu/wkibbe/vacuumtesting.pdf

As far as I know, bad battery messes with the tachometer.

Some reasons that occur to me for the problem with the valves:
If valves are sealing on carbon build-up, if cam shaft, guides or some rockers are getting loose, if points of contact don't receive proper lubrication, if valves are not returning back all the way during calibration.

I should be quiet after what I did to your carburetor.............
Hey austincc, I used to go to school there

Is there anyway to check if my battery is "bad"? I haven't seen much to say it is because it's relatively new but I've run it low about 2 times. I'll look about doing a vacuum test this weekend.

Also if anyone knows, whenever my my front comes off a small ledge or bump I hear a "clack". What could this be a sign of? It only started happening after my mechanic did my valve clearance. It's something in the front of the bike near the line and the tach because it happens even when my bike is off.

Also no worries about the the carbs, that stuff wasn't what turned out to be the problem.

Old September 5th, 2012, 07:16 PM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Bad battery means the battery starts to loose performance (hard to reach spec volts when charged / get discharged by itself relatively quickly / little b@lls for extended cranking).

http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/artic...ry-basics.html

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...acid_batteries

Most Autoparts check your batteries for free.
Deep discharges can ruin good new batteries (not saying that the battery is your problem).

For the clack, check the upper track and counter-nut of the steering column: they require a fine adjustment and certain torque (easy turn but with no play).

Carbs OK now: After so many weeks,.............I can finally sleep in peace
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote