ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 28th, 2013, 11:00 AM   #1
MFNcody
ninjette.org member

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 1990 Ninja 250

Pickup coil / alternator cover discrepancy

My apologies if this has already been posted but I couldn't find it

I've got a 1990 that I'm replacing the pickup coil on. I got a replacement from a 2007. So my alternator cover is off and there's a grommet for the pickup coil & alternator stator wiring to pass through the cover (I think 5 wires total). The replacement I have here has a grommet only about half the size with only the pickup coil wires in it - no alternator wires. So what's the deal with that? What bikes have two separate grommets for the two vs one for both together? The service manual I have has it either way depending on what section you're looking at so that doesn't help. The picture in the "electrical system" diagram has two grommets in different locations on the cover. The picture in the "stator coil installation" section shows them together like I see on mine. I'm looking at pickup coils taken off bikes on ebay and whatnot and there doesn't appear to be much rhyme or reason to it. Some are pictures of pickup coils only and some are combined with the alternator wiring.

I guess I'm trying to see if I got the wrong one and would be best off just getting another one or what? Or hell I could probably slice my old grommet in half and then silicone it to my replacement and end up with the same thing.

Thanks for any help folks!
MFNcody is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #2
baxtc1
ninjette.org member

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): '92 GPX 250 (Gone and replaced with '08 V-Strom), 2005 Suzuki C50.

Just had a look on a microfiche and it shows the generator wires and pick up coil wires in different sections. Went and had a look at mine and it seems to be two grommets glued together in the same hole. So you have the same parts, just not glued together.
baxtc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2013, 01:52 PM   #3
MFNcody
ninjette.org member

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 1990 Ninja 250

Yeah I'm an idiot. The grommet does separate into two parts. It really didn't look like it when I looked at it. Cool! Now I sit on my butt waiting for the new cover gasket to arrive so I can replace and put it back together.
MFNcody is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2013, 01:13 PM   #4
baxtc1
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): '92 GPX 250 (Gone and replaced with '08 V-Strom), 2005 Suzuki C50.

Cut a new gasket. I know about waiting, three weeks now for pistons/rings.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 1st, 2013, 01:40 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxtc1 View Post
Cut a new gasket. I know about waiting, three weeks now for pistons/rings.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old July 2nd, 2013, 01:23 AM   #6
baxtc1
ninjette.org member

With the first GPX we had, my wife was going to use it to do the course for her licence. On the weekend that the course was on, I had the bike in pieces, waiting for the clutch nut and gasket. She was not a happy camper when she got back from the course and said get that effin' bike going so I can practice. It was then that I went and bought a sheet of gasket paper and cut a gasket. the missus then spent the next week practicing on that bike, passed the second part of the course the following weekend and is now a happy camper.
Go ahead, cut the gasket and get the bike going. If you have already ordered the gasket, just use it next time you have the cover off.