Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Notices

Old July 5th, 2020, 03:24 PM   #1
Emu
ninjette.org member

Name: Emu

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r

Preparing for first track day

So I got the green light to start going to the track on a bike.

I have literally never done a track day. I have watched a few videos but wanted some input from you all.

I have a newgen and plan on buying another one in rough condition just to beat on at the track.

What modifications do you recommend get done to just get started?

What do you recommend after I move up in skill group (I'm planning ahead and setting aside a budget for mods and upgrades).

What textile's would be decent at the track? I cannot afford leathers at the moment but I know I can get a decent pair of textiles. I honestly need a new jacket anyway and don't own a pair of riding pants.

Lastly, tracks, I have found one track in my area (southern Oklahoma) that has track days for motorcycles on a road track. Literally everything else is either a dirt flat track or motocross. Anyone know of road tracks anywhere between Dallas, Texas and northern Oklahoma I could go to? the only one I have found so far is Hallet motor racing circuit ( http://www.hallettracing.net/ )

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Emu is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old July 6th, 2020, 03:50 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Tracks near you can be found here. There was a track locator somewhere too, lemme see if I can find the link.

Mods to the bike for a first track day? Only tires, you may hate the track and never go back. After that, front springs, better brake pads, clipons and rearsets. Depending on your riding weight, you might want to go for a rear shock.

If you can afford new textiles, you can afford some used leathers. Or at least look into renting a leather suit for the day(s) from the track day org. I have personally seen Cortech hold up well at the track but they are subject to being single event items. Check with the track day org to ensure they will even allow you to ride with textiles. Many do not....

Working on your bike at the track sucks, be over prepared. Read the bike prep rules no less than 4 times and double check everything is done. Put 2 layers of tape over your rear brake light.

Come open minded, the track is not the street and you will find out soon enough. Hopefully you can find a track org that runs a novice school. If so, then sign up for that.

If you are not having fun, you are doing it wrong!

more to come...
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2020, 07:37 AM   #3
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Make sure your health is tip top. Be well rested and well hydrated. The first thing to go when you are tired is your concentration. Ride safe and predictable on the track (no sudden moves, keep your line). Have a good helmet and rent leathers. You don't want to take any chances. Be friendly and ask questions. Follow someone faster than you that knows what they are doing. Don't thrash your bike or yourself. Ride within you and your bike's limits.

Old July 6th, 2020, 11:04 AM   #4
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
If track day organiser has instructors available, definite use them to help you.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old July 6th, 2020, 03:44 PM   #5
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 286, 296, 599, 799

$100 leathers
https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/...132010931.html

$50 set pre crashd
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/mp...138891777.html

$50 again
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mp...132940566.html
AwDang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2020, 05:40 PM   #6
Emu
ninjette.org member

Name: Emu

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r

I honestly can't thank you guys enough. I know I need to get back into shape, I did my obligatory 4 years in the army and never really went back to the gym, needless to say I need to go back.

I 100% want to take this seriously, I'm planning on hitting the track once this year and see if it is something I am going to commit to. I assume I will knowing me. I'm gonna keep it simple and cheap.

I found an amateur race series that goes between a track in Austin, Dallas, and the one I found here in OK with a race school and license. I'm super stoked for this.

You all are awesome!
Emu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2020, 12:05 PM   #7
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I've never heard of racing being cheap!

Old July 19th, 2020, 04:45 PM   #8
BoBO
ninjette.org guru

Name: Genesis

Motorcycle(s): SC28 Fireblade

It's been a while since I went to the track, but getting good sleep the night before is very important. I did not get any sleep the night before my first trackday due to all the excitement lol.

Tires, clipons, and a rear set would be a nice start for mods. If you know someone with good experience pay them to coach you. If you're planning to hit the tracks more than 1x a year having a truck would be nice to haul your stuff. What I mean by stuff are your tools, stands, fuel tank, spare tires, gear, chairs, and cooler for snacks and water.

Good luck and have fun post some pics!
BoBO is offline   Reply With Quote