ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 9th, 2012, 05:26 PM   #1
brinksta
ninjette.org member

Name: tanner

Motorcycle(s): none yet

Help Buying From A Private Seller

I have some questions. I am thinking about buying a used bike from a private seller a couple hours away. I am going to have a friend take me.

Will I be able to ride it home? I have a motorcycle permit? Even though it would still be registered to him? But I would have a signed over title right?

Do I have to get new plates after I get home, or can I keep the old one?

Sorry, I am new to this. Any other tips would be appreciated. Oh and I live in Oklahoma if that matters.
brinksta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Check your state's DMV page, I can almost guarantee there will be a FAQ section about how to buy and/or sell a vehicle.

Permit means you can ride any bike, whether you own it or not. In California at least, you generally keep the plates on the bike as you ride away, but you can also leave the plates, and apply for new ones (for additional cost at the DMV).

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2012, 05:39 PM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Couple of hours is a long first trip (~100 or 120 miles?)

Check the Oklahoma laws about helmet wearing; regardless, wearing one and a jacket and boots will be best.

If you are carrying cash, move the transaction onto a place with cameras, like the parking lot of a bank.

Take your time inspecting the bike and wait until you are really happy with it, if so.

The seller should sign the title and fill up a bill of sale.

You may or may not ride without a tag; the seller may or may not lend you his. You can return it by mail.

Yes, you will have to pay taxes and for a new tag and title.
You may or may not need to present proof of insurance; check local Tax Collector's office.

Best
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2012, 06:00 PM   #4
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09' Blue Ninja 250R and 07' Honda 919

if you are in the same state you go to a tag place pay sales tax and transfer fees, if he doesnt wantthe plates the should let you use them or they will give u temp tags. you will have to have insurance to transfer title so get vin # from seller before you go buy it, call insurance co and get bike insured make sure you get proof of insurance and take it with u. should be easy thats how it is in pa
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #5
witlessevil
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250

Just of couple of tips not all inclusive.

Ask for and get his street address and phone number before you go. Google map his address and look at where he lives. Is the neighborhood decent? Does his house look decent on street view? If he has a land line see if it matches his home address in the phone book. If he doesn't want to give you that info it's not the end of the world, but have him meet you in the police station parking lot.

Do not go alone.

In my opinion it's best to take a trailer. The added stress of having to ride a bike more than a few miles to get it home on top of getting there, looking the bike over, changing money, etc just makes for a stressfull day. And if there is something wrong with the bike, like low oil or coolant, you are not compounding a pretty minor issue into major catastrophe.

Look in the gas tank for rust. Bring a flashlight with you and a basic set of tools.

Make sure you look at the title during your inspection of the bike. Match the VIN on the title with the one on the bike.

Make sure the name and address on the title matches the seller's name. Ask to see his driver's license and match them up.

If he has a lien make sure to do the inspection during his lien holder's business hours. Don't hand any money to the owner. Go through the lien holder and make sure they know you are buying the bike, not just paying off the loan.

Make a written list of everything the bike should come with like an owners manual, tool set, etc. Compare your list with what is really there.

Don't be shy about trying to make yourself a better deal especially if there are issues with the bike.

Good Luck

Steve
witlessevil is offline   Reply With Quote