ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 25th, 2012, 12:21 AM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Where to get Molybdenum Disulfide grease?

Many things in the service manual call for Molybdenum Disulfide grease. I can find many greases with "Moly" added, but they are usually Lithium-based. Not only did the manual not say to use Lithium, I'm pretty sure it said not to in several places, so I'm trying to find *actual* Molybdenum Disulfide grease. I see that there is a brand called Yamalube (Yamaha's brand, no doubt), but I'd rather buy a tub of the stuff. Is Yamalube the same as any of the other Moly greases I see at the auto-parts stores? The online descriptions don't seem very thorough and I suspect that it may be Lithium based or something too.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2012, 01:27 AM   #2
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Plain old crimson grease is fine on everything unless it specifically calls for high temp. I think in this case the manual is just dated. We get new composition oils and greases all the time that replace the stuff we used to use.

Old March 25th, 2012, 01:57 AM   #3
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
Plain old crimson grease is fine on everything unless it specifically calls for high temp. I think in this case the manual is just dated. We get new composition oils and greases all the time that replace the stuff we used to use.
Well, it does call for Hi-Temp in most of the places it specifies Moly (engine applications). It's the 2008+ model SM so I wouldn't expect a copy/paste from the pregen in that regard. Thanks.

Old March 25th, 2012, 06:20 AM   #4
ryanG19
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r Candy Apple Lime

I got a quart at Oreillys Auto parts for like $4.
ryanG19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2012, 06:44 AM   #5
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Sears?

Product info: http://catalog.antiseize.com/viewite...se-plus-trade-

That's a lot of grease..

But you should be able to find some in grease gun tubes at NAPA or an autoparts store.. I'll have a looksie. EDIT: Maybe this stuff is harder to get a hold of than I thought. We have dozens of tubes of it at my work for all of the grease fittings on the heavy equipment. I'll see where they get it from..
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2012, 06:51 AM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

There is no shortage of grease with the word "Moly" or saying the it has or uses Molybdenum Disulfide but, it seems, there are very few that can actually be called "Molybdenum Disulfide grease." Will either of those fit the bill?

Old March 25th, 2012, 07:04 AM   #7
leed
ninjette.org sage

The gain to molybdenum is that you have a incredible friction coefficient that does not increase much with increases in pressure or temperature. Depending on where you use it, I think so long as molybdenum disulfide is a main ingredient, most other chemicals will be there to help. I can't say for sure. If it were me, I wouldn't stress too much over it. Anywhere in particular you are using it?

EDIT: Here is another type that seems to sweep google:
http://www.swepcolube.com/products/s...01-moly-grease
Info sheet:
http://www.swepcousa.com/lubesite/lu...1843_101sb.pdf

Looking at a few others.. They have MSDS sheets, which you can look at (this one does not). But from the gist of it, much of the additives are to keep the grease itself in shape (so it does not break down and let the solid particles disperse, etc) and to keep it a waterproof grease, provide a barrier to oxygen and the like.

Old March 25th, 2012, 07:09 AM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
The gain to molybdenum is that you have a incredible friction coefficient that does not increase much with increases in pressure or temperature. Depending on where you use it, I think so long as molybdenum disulfide is a main ingredient, most other chemicals will be there to help. I can't say for sure. If it were me, I wouldn't stress too much over it. Anywhere in particular you are using it?
Well, most of them say that it also has it as if it were just an additive. Even the ones with "Moly" in the name often mention a completely different "base" and rarely say "Molebdenum Disulfide" AFAIK, there can be a hundred other "Moly" compounds without a spec of the "Disulfide." If they want my business, they had better be specific because I don't know enough not to be!

Thanks. Anyway, I need it for external applications at the moment but I see the manual calling for it internally as well. It probably matters more internally, but I'd rather get the right stuff now.

For the work I'm doing now, I believe I saw it mentioned for the CS sprocket, the fork dust seals, and the chain master link. I also need high-temp wheel bearing grease for the wheels.

Old March 25th, 2012, 07:13 AM   #9
leed
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Well, most of them say that it also has it as if it were just an additive. Even the ones with "Moly" in the name often mention a completely different "base" and rarely say "Molebdenum Disulfide" AFAIK, there can be a hundred other "Moly" compounds without a spec of the "Disulfide." If they want my business, they had better be specific because I don't know enough not to be!

Thanks. Anyway, I need it for external applications at the moment but I see the manual calling for it internally as well.
Haha, I completely understand. I think much of the industry has accepted the short hand of Moly for Molybdenum Disulfide. If it has info-sheets or MSDS sheets, they are likely to be more specific. Or if you are really curious, you could always email the company. I edited the post above with another link to an available product that specifically says molybdenum disulfide!

Old March 25th, 2012, 07:14 AM   #10
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
Haha, I completely understand. I think much of the industry has accepted the short hand of Moly for Molybdenum Disulfide. If it has info-sheets or MSDS sheets, they are likely to be more specific. Or if you are really curious, you could always email the company. I edited the post above with another link to an available product that specifically says molybdenum disulfide!
Thanks a lot!

I added this above as well:
For the work I'm doing now, I believe I saw it mentioned for the CS sprocket, the fork dust seals, and the chain master link. I also need high-temp wheel bearing grease for the wheels.

Old March 25th, 2012, 07:58 AM   #11
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

I just use this on my bike.... Never knew it needed some special grease. Oh well. this stuff works fine. http://www.valvoline.com/products/co...-oil/grease/67
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2012, 10:22 AM   #12
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

If it does not call for a lithium grease, or says not to use it then don't. Lithium will react with some metals.
Posted via Mobile Device
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2013, 05:30 AM   #13
eksine
ninjette.org member

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): 2006 ninja 250

Hey I just found something that is very very interesting. in the ninja org how-to wiki or whatever it's called they recommend a waterproof lithium grease with molydenum disulfide. anyways they show a picture of the product and its a citgo lithoplex can in quart size, here's what interesting...it says on the can NLGI No.2, well I looked and you can't buy this stuff easily, or at all for that matter well...the wiki also states any high pressure (or maybe it said temp?) grease will work. anyways I found this:

Royal Purple 01312 NLGI No. 2 High Performance Multi-Purpose Synthetic Ultra Performance Grease - 14.5 oz

it is designed for extreme pressure and it was selected as the grease for japan's BULLET TRAIN, also it says "NLGI No.2"...very interesting yes? also its under $11 bucks for a tube so I will get it and use it

heres the link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
eksine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2013, 06:59 AM   #14
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Thanks a lot!

I added this above as well:
The bearings of the wheels are sealed.
You can inject some drops of 80W-90/GL-5 gear oil if you carefully lift the lip of the seals.

As for the grease, moly is like graphite, it adds anti-friction properties and the lithium adds the resistance to be washed away by water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molybdenum_disulfide

Copied form http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Servicing_the_swingarm

"Molybdenum disulphide ("moly") grease - Any high-pressure bearing grease will do. However, a waterproof lithium grease containing molybdenum disulphide is the best choice. The factory explicitly calls for molybdenum disulphide, as it is an extremely effective additive for needle bearings in oscillating applications. It reduces wear by plating the bearing needles."

This is what I have been using with excellent results:

http://www.pepboys.com/product/detai...931/?quantity=
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0052.JPG (84.6 KB, 95 views)
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2013, 07:02 AM   #15
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
My favorite stuff. And it is fun to say three times. take a shot of tequila then repete.

Old June 2nd, 2013, 11:48 AM   #16
TBC
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250F

Both Advance Autoparts and Autozone around here were sparse. I ended up with a tub of "Coastal Moly EP Grease."

Link here: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=561753_0_0_
Spec-sheet here: http://www.warrenoil.com/MSDS-Spec/P...P%20Grease.pdf

Today I'm just greasing the rear axle and spacers, though soon I'm going to be doing the swingarm service and the shock link lubrication. Fingers crossed that it'll do the job...
TBC is offline   Reply With Quote