Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroHernandez View Post
.........I can't find my key..........
The key is somewhere, .........find it !!!
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2013, 10:54 AM   #122
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by parox91 View Post
Theres numbers behind a fairing

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_do..._about_keys%3F

read: What if I lose all my keys?
Caveat with that, the key code might not match. I actually destroyed the helmet lock on my pregen to get to the key code and it ended up making a key that didn't work. If they locksmith just makes a new key directly from the ignition, then it's guaranteed to work.

However, I feel like the locksmith is charging way too much. When my friend lost the keys to her scooter, it only cost her about $30 for a new key. Granted we towed the scooter to the locksmith ourselves but still it wasn't anywhere near that expensive.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2013, 11:00 AM   #123
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
........or you could buy a switch with keys and replace it:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/6000/i.html?...ssories&_rdc=1

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_to_...gnition_switch

How is the healing coming along?
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2013, 11:07 AM   #124
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
As the title says, I can't find my key. The steering wheel is unlocked. I don't know what to do. I called a locksmith and he said its $150 for a new key and $75 to come do it at my house which is the only way I can do it. Does $225 sound like a ridiculous price? Because it sounds really ridiculous to me.
Sounds like divine intervention, listen to it.

J/k but I couldn't resist

Like motofool said, look for it. Make sure you look in common places where people throw stuff. I once helped my friend break into the trunk of his own car cuz he insisted he locked his keys in it.... 2hrs of scrapping the crap out of his door interior and weather stripping trying to pop driverside lock we got the car open and popped the trunk and what do you know....no key to be found. Found it an hour later on a small shelf in his kitchen under a napkin

good luck

P.S. edit - I would also like to point out that I had lost a set of keys to a car I had years upon years ago.... I looked forever for them, they had to have been around my house somewhere but no luck. I expected to find them years later while cleaning or something but they still have never turned up. I only assume I dropped them in the dirt somewhere and they got buried, only thing I can think of to why they never turned up.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2013, 11:11 AM   #125
tfkrocks

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Since the steering is unlocked, find someone with a truck and ramp and tow it yourself. Save yourself a few bucks. Definitely try asking different locksmiths as well.

Old August 6th, 2013, 11:17 AM   #126
sunspots
ninjette.org member

Name: Sunspots

Motorcycle(s): 08 Plasma Blue 250

I've read up getting keys cut before and I could've sworn it only cost like $7 to get a new key and get it cut at a locksmith.

And like $14-$20 if getting it done at the dealership.
sunspots is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2013, 11:24 AM   #127
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunspots View Post
I've read up getting keys cut before and I could've sworn it only cost like $7 to get a new key and get it cut at a locksmith.

And like $14-$20 if getting it done at the dealership.
I think this is the case if in fact you have a key to use as a model, but if you have no key, then the lock smith has to make a mold or something to that effect of the ignition (IDK how it works, i'm not a locksmith) after he gets the mold then he can use that to create a key with the proper grooves and notches which you are paying for his time and skill set = more than $20 bucks

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Old August 6th, 2013, 11:29 AM   #128
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
I think this is the case if in fact you have a key to use as a model, but if you have no key, then the lock smith has to make a mold or something to that effect of the ignition (IDK how it works, i'm not a locksmith) after he gets the mold then he can use that to create a key with the proper grooves and notches which you are paying for his time and skill set = more than $20 bucks
Was just as cheap for my friend who needed an entirely new key cut. Actually I ended up getting a completely new key cut for my pregen from the ignition as well because my one original key was too worn to make a decent copy. Still only cost about $30.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 6th, 2013, 11:31 AM   #129
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
^ interesting, perhaps it is easier to do than I imagine and I am giving locksmith to much credit.

but yeah I really have no idea how much it should cost but would expect $40 at least. I think there is a lock smith on this forum....trying to remember who it is...

Old August 6th, 2013, 11:40 AM   #130
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/merged a few "lost mey key" threads; there's a bunch of good information throughout on what people have done to get a working key.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 6th, 2013, 01:26 PM   #131
DroHernandez
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r

This guy from "ACM Locksmith" said he does not need a key code if he comes over to my house to cut a key and it'll work. He said unless the key has a chip in it. He's saying that he does not need a key code. All he needs is to have the bike in front of him. Does this make sense?
DroHernandez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2013, 01:52 PM   #132
Dustinh1989
ninjette.org member

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 11' SE 250R

Dealer..
Dustinh1989 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2013, 01:59 PM   #133
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
This guy from "ACM Locksmith" said he does not need a key code if he comes over to my house to cut a key and it'll work. He said unless the key has a chip in it. He's saying that he does not need a key code. All he needs is to have the bike in front of him. Does this make sense?
Yes. Any competent locksmith can make a new key from just the lock. I've had that done.