ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 26th, 2014, 01:04 PM   #201
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Name: Richie

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda CRF300L Rally, 2015 Ninja ZX6R 636, 2014 Ninja 1000, 2013 Ninja 300 (sold), 2011 Ninja 250R (sold)

Agreed! Neil, will you be at Cresson 11/3?
geeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2014, 03:24 PM   #202
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Not sure yet, as November is a bit away. I will probably try to.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2014, 04:11 PM   #203
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

So I just went out to bike here at work to take pic of my massive strips, to find this! Wtf! I knew I needed new tires but didn't know this bad. Do you feel I can make it a few days until I can get the tires in? I depend on bike to commute to work

Attachment 31813
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-07-26 18.10.03.jpg (76.8 KB, 9 views)
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2014, 05:44 PM   #204
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Do you think it is a good idea?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2014, 05:47 PM   #205
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNasty View Post
So I just went out to bike here at work to take pic of my massive strips, to find this! Wtf! I knew I needed new tires but didn't know this bad. Do you feel I can make it a few days until I can get the tires in? I depend on bike to commute to work

Attachment 31813
that's the exact same situation I ran into with my stock IRC rear, I wonder why the cord patch is so similar. Maybe it's something with the tire but I thought it was odd that it came off as a patch rather than a line at first.

I made it through 3 days of conservative riding with my rear like that but I can't recommend that at all. If you have alternate transportation now is a good time to use it

Old July 26th, 2014, 06:23 PM   #206
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Do you think it is a good idea?
Yeah prob not, wife saw it and grounded my bike until i get new tire. That was a kenda 671, got 8k out of her

Old July 28th, 2014, 04:45 PM   #207
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

I take it those with the brick shaped tyres never see a drop of rain... back end looks like it would aquaplane at the mention of it, never mind the cords showing through...
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2014, 04:53 PM   #208
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
I take it those with the brick shaped tyres never see a drop of rain... back end looks like it would aquaplane at the mention of it, never mind the cords showing through...
Suprisingly I have riden through a couple downpours with these on. I use bike to commute 40 miles a day, all freeway on concrete roads. Nt many twisties except for the occasional overpass/exit. I try to even them out by doing as many SMIDSY's as possible, but to no avail this is what I end up with after 8k miles

Old July 28th, 2014, 04:58 PM   #209
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Waiting for dealership to open up tomorrow, going to have to put next set of tires on the kawi card since they can't wait until I have enough cash. I am going with the Avon Am26's front and back this set. Will see how those run. I liked the Kenda, but thought I would have gotten more than 8k out of it. Prob no matter what tire I have on, including the hockey puck stock tires I will prob only get about 7-8k out of them due to the freeway riding and the concrete roads. 70-80mph everyday is gonna wear them out fast

Old July 28th, 2014, 05:10 PM   #210
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Waiting for dealership to open up tomorrow, going to have to put next set of tires on the kawi card since they can't wait until I have enough cash. I am going with the Avon Am26's front and back this set. Will see how those run. I liked the Kenda, but thought I would have gotten more than 8k out of it. Prob no matter what tire I have on, including the hockey puck stock tires I will prob only get about 7-8k out of them due to the freeway riding and the concrete roads. 70-80mph everyday is gonna wear them out fast
They the roadriders?

Had a set, they lasted 12,000 miles & still had thread left when I lost confidence in them, they were very good in the wet but felt the same or worse in the dry & I was pushing them pretty hard, 90-95mph in the wet on the highway, fast enough through the twistys.

put a set of BT45s on got near enough 10,000 miles from them at a combination of city commuting & fast open/twisty roads. Much preferred the BT45s
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2014, 05:47 PM   #211
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
They the roadriders?

Had a set, they lasted 12,000 miles & still had thread left when I lost confidence in them, they were very good in the wet but felt the same or worse in the dry & I was pushing them pretty hard, 90-95mph in the wet on the highway, fast enough through the twistys.

put a set of BT45s on got near enough 10,000 miles from them at a combination of city commuting & fast open/twisty roads. Much preferred the BT45s
I will prob try the bt45' Street the avons if I end I up not liking them. I'm sure they are better than irc' anyhow. Ifi could afford ties every 5k miles I would just go with the best and put Diablo on

Old July 30th, 2014, 03:08 PM   #212
spooph

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
Quote:

Attachment 31813
Nah, you're fine... it only becomes a problem when you start throwing sparks....

Now before somebody jumps down my throat again, that was meant to be a light hearted joke in the form of sarcasm...

onto a more serious tone: I think Alex asked the right question.... When in doubt, leave it out...

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2014, 01:05 PM   #213
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chickstrips5.jpg (31.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg chickstrips4.jpg (28.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg chickstrips2.jpg (30.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg chickstrips1.jpg (33.2 KB, 6 views)
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2014, 01:50 PM   #214
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Lookin' good there Katie! No need for the face.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2014, 05:40 PM   #215
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
I'm re-learning how to ride now that I actually have an honest and willing partner..... My ninja was all kinds of ****ed up and it made me ride defensively against the bike and against myself, but now that I have the SV I'm getting a lot of confidence back. Funny how that works... usually the 250 is the confidence builder! But as @Sirref can tell you, mine was .... no such thing.

Old August 18th, 2014, 07:46 PM   #216
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
hahaha the suspension on that 250 when I picked it up was...nonexistent to say the least

the rear shock could be compressed by hand
it's much better now but I'm definitely more comfortable on the 300

I noticed a huge difference in your confidence between this ride and the last time we rode katie, though you should definitely hit up a track to improve your body positioning since you were all kinds of crossed up.

Old August 18th, 2014, 07:58 PM   #217
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
meh I'll figure it out. I don't think I'd get much out of a track day right now for various reasons. I'm going to that MSF parking lot soon, I want to spend an hour just doing the corners in both directions. I still have images of me and my bike sliding across the pavement and into the trees every time I lean it over

Old August 18th, 2014, 08:29 PM   #218
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Lol, Ben's confidence is likely because of that sketchy tank securing job.

Katie, take a breath when you get those visions. Relax and focus on being loose and remembering that you're intentionally practicing so that those visions do not become reality again. Remember that accidents like that are usually rider error and that practice inproves the rider. Try to focus on the here and now, forget about the past. If I can get back on the track after a fast-ish lowside, so can you!! It just takes mileage to bring back the confidence.

Old August 19th, 2014, 07:03 PM   #219
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind
Lol, Ben's confidence is likely because of that sketchy tank securing job.

Katie, take a breath when you get those visions. Relax and focus on being loose and remembering that you're intentionally practicing so that those visions do not become reality again. Remember that accidents like that are usually rider error and that practice inproves the rider. Try to focus on the here and now, forget about the past. If I can get back on the track after a fast-ish lowside, so can you!! It just takes mileage to bring back the confidence.
When I lowsided, I was riding on 7 year old tires in the rain. Definitely rider error for not checking my tires and for riding those tires in the rain, but still I think a lot of it had to do with the quality of the tires. So I guess I'm also worried about something on my bike failing. But like I said, with this bike I have now, I don't worry about it. Only thing I'm preoccupied with is my lack of skill and lack of practice. So I'm just trying to put as many miles as I possibly can on this bike and trying to make every ride successful and relaxing while still concentrating on how I'm riding, without any 'oh-****' moments

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 19th, 2014, 07:18 PM   #220
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Since my track adventure the rear tires on both of my bikes had no remaining chicken strips. There was rubber hanging over the edge of the tire but since i have been riding on the streets again they are begining to return. MUST RETURN TO THE TRACK.
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2014, 07:25 PM   #221
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
this.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2014, 07:58 PM   #222
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
When I lowsided, I was riding on 7 year old tires in the rain. Definitely rider error for not checking my tires and for riding those tires in the rain, but still I think a lot of it had to do with the quality of the tires.
That's a good thing to learn though! Pilot error is one thing, aging/bad equipment is another. Good thing it wasn't a more serious accident to learn from.