ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 20th, 2009, 07:15 PM   #1
bluphobic
ninjette.org member

Name: W

Motorcycle(s): None

Super Sport for short riders?

I'm on a quest to find a good sized 600cc SS bike that fits short riders comfortably. That includes riding position, Clipon reach, ground reach. I've done many 300-500mile trips and have had no comfort issues with the 250. To give you and idea about myself, I'm 5'5" with short legs, i can almost flat foot the 2fity on both sides w/motorcycle shoes on. I've heard that gsxr's and cbr's are good for short riders but I haven't heard exactly why though.
bluphobic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #2
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Personally I don't think you're going to find the comfort you're looking for in the SS bikes.

However, you could check out the ZZR 600. It's actually the old style of ZX-6R that was continued on as the ZZR 600 when they upgraded the ZX-6R several years ago. The bike is supposed to be rather comfortable while still having the SS style and it can still compete on speed and handling from what I've heard. Might be worth looking around for one. I know I plan to eventually.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #3
Verus Cidere
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

I'm about the same size as you and I have the same problem, but FWIW, the newest-gen Yamaha R6 is very nice when it's lowered. It's as easy as my 2fiddy to lift, and has a very comfortable setup (peg distance, seat padding, etc.) IMO. The only thing you may not like is that the bars are a little more down-angle than most bikes stock. To me, they also seem closer. I don't know if you want to fork out the money for lowering links and an adjustable kickstand, but that's what I've noticed. Like Mike said though, not a whole lot of comfortable SS bikes out there.

Old August 20th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #4
andrewexd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 07 GSXR600 (N250 sold :( )

wth, I can't even flatfoot with boots and im 5"7-5"8 probably a short inseam
andrewexd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2009, 11:55 PM   #5
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

The Ninja 650R (ER6F) is maybe not exactly what you want but the seat height is the same as the 250R and gives a good comfortable position with a SS look.

Steve

Old August 21st, 2009, 12:08 AM   #6
andrewexd
ninjette.org guru

I wish they would revise the tail of 650r, its hidious.

Old August 21st, 2009, 12:41 AM   #7
Wade
ninjette.org member

Name: Wade

Motorcycle(s): Black 2009 Ninja 250

I was looking into the same thing. I like the ninja look so what i would be the happiest with would be the ability to get a zx-6r to the same seat height as the 250r as thats what im riding fine with atm. Or a yamaha r6 at 250r height. Anyone know if this is possible / has been done?
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2009, 02:09 AM   #8
andrewexd
ninjette.org guru

well the 2 ways of lowering a bike is shaving the seat and lowering links, im assuming you could get close with a combination, although i think the cbr600 has the lowest seat height out of the 4 600 SS.

Old August 21st, 2009, 02:54 AM   #9
Xorro
ninjette.org member

Name: Zoe

Motorcycle(s): CBR650F replacing the Ninja 300

Before buying the little Ninjas we tried the ZZR600 and were really surprised at how low the seat was. Admittedly the ZZR is more of a sports-tourer than an SS, but we liked the position of the seat and handlebars, and may consider that as our next bike(s).

I'm 5' 4".

I do know of someone in the UK who has gone from the 250r to a GSXR600 with a lowering kit, she is 5' 2".

Old August 21st, 2009, 04:17 AM   #10
bluphobic
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
Personally I don't think you're going to find the comfort you're looking for in the SS bikes.

However, you could check out the ZZR 600. It's actually the old style of ZX-6R that was continued on as the ZZR 600 when they upgraded the ZX-6R several years ago. The bike is supposed to be rather comfortable while still having the SS style and it can still compete on speed and handling from what I've heard. Might be worth looking around for one. I know I plan to eventually.
The ZZR looks more like a sport touring bike, It may fit some of my needs however i kinda want to stray away from carbureted motors. If i have the chance I'll check some of them out, seeing the bike in person may change my mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verus Cidere View Post
I'm about the same size as you and I have the same problem, but FWIW, the newest-gen Yamaha R6 is very nice when it's lowered. It's as easy as my 2fiddy to lift, and has a very comfortable setup (peg distance, seat padding, etc.) IMO. The only thing you may not like is that the bars are a little more down-angle than most bikes stock. To me, they also seem closer. I don't know if you want to fork out the money for lowering links and an adjustable kickstand, but that's what I've noticed. Like Mike said though, not a whole lot of comfortable SS bikes out there.
My friend has an 07' R6 and he complains that the seat is angled forward, this sometimes pushes him into the tank. As you mentioned the bars are very aggressive, I don't know if I'll be able to handle a good 400mile trip. Lowering links can be an option but I'd rather not mess with the original suspension geometry of the bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
The Ninja 650R (ER6F) is maybe not exactly what you want but the seat height is the same as the 250R and gives a good comfortable position with a SS look.

Steve
After seeing the new 650r in person, i'm very impressed. The new look is very appealing, the riding position is very comfortable, the bars are bit higher than what i would prefer. I'd probably convert to clipon's and adjustable rearsets. Overall, i like this bike the most but the price is the only thing that kills the deal. I'm looking at spending no more than $5,500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewexd View Post
well the 2 ways of lowering a bike is shaving the seat and lowering links, im assuming you could get close with a combination, although i think the cbr600 has the lowest seat height out of the 4 600 SS.
The CBR F4i was another consideration I had in mind but they are few and hard to come by.

Old August 21st, 2009, 09:34 AM   #11
Talonne
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jessica

Motorcycle(s): '09 Metallic Diablo Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post

Steve
Oh heck no... I sat on my friend's 650R and was fully on tiptoe on both feet! I can get the balls of my feet down on my 250.
Talonne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2009, 10:08 AM   #12
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonne View Post
Oh heck no... I sat on my friend's 650R and was fully on tiptoe on both feet! I can get the balls of my feet down on my 250.
+1. The 650R is indeed a bit taller (though not a whole lot).

FWIW, Kawasaki does sell a seat for the 650R that lowers the height by an inch or so.

For about $400.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2009, 03:30 PM   #13
bluphobic
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
+1. The 650R is indeed a bit taller (though not a whole lot).

FWIW, Kawasaki does sell a seat for the 650R that lowers the height by an inch or so.

For about $400.
What a steal.

Old August 21st, 2009, 03:42 PM   #14
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluphobic View Post
I've heard that gsxr's and cbr's are good for short riders but I haven't heard exactly why though.
Don't know about the gixxers, but the cbrs had the shortest reach from seat to bars than the other bikes. The old suzuki gixxers used to have a long reach. also, the cbrs seat height was among the shortest of the SS bikes and the peg location wasn't was rearward. Don't know if this still holds true, but it was back in the cbr f2/f3 days.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2009, 04:04 PM   #15
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Suzuki GSX-R750

Thumbs up

Quote:

if you can flat foot the 250, u shouldnt have too much of a problem on a ss bike..and if you do, u can always have it lowered, and it'll be just fine for you..As far as the reach goes, the first time I sat on my 750, it felt like I was all stretched out and my feet were way behind me..keep in mind I've only ever been on a 250, but after about a day or two it felt totally normal....
AnarchoMoltov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2009, 05:16 PM   #16
edwinmcq
ninjette.org member

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChiF0JwogX0

Old August 21st, 2009, 05:27 PM   #17
sombo

Quote:
The ZZR looks more like a sport touring bike, It may fit some of my needs however i kinda want to stray away from carbureted motors. If i have the chance I'll check some of them out, seeing the bike in person may change my mind.
It's more of a SS bike then the 650r is. In fact the ZZR used to be what an SS bike looked like since that's EXACTLY what the older ZX-6R used to be. The 650R however has the seating posture, ergonomics, and suspension setup for that of a mid-range sport-tourer.

I do agree with you however on the carb'd issue. I love the look of the ZZR since it's honestly more like the SS bikes then the 650R (split seat vs solid seat, ram air scoop in the front, large side can) just that it's look is about 10 years old. But the fact that it's carb'd is an issue for me. That's why I'm also looking at the GSX650F from Suzuki. They used the Bandit's frame and engine (I4 fuel injected), a Gixxer-style front end, and a more sport-tourer seating posture for more comfort.

Might be worth checking out the GSX650F for yourself. Never know, you might like it.

Old August 21st, 2009, 06:42 PM   #18
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

^^ aside from the FI on the GSX650F its is a inferior bike to the ZZR.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2009, 07:10 PM   #19
sombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
^^ aside from the FI on the GSX650F its is a inferior bike to the ZZR.
Would you mind listing the differences and how the ZZR is the better of the two? Since I'm interested in both bikes I'd like to know more about they stack up to one another. If you don't mind sharing your knowledge on this, I'd love to learn more.

Old August 21st, 2009, 08:07 PM   #20
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

IMO Neil's spot-on. The ZZR is for all intents and purposes a ZX-6R circa 2000. Was a great bike then, and continues to be a great bike. Stiff aluminum frame, decent suspension, great tank range, willing motor, etc. Everything I've ever read about the GSX650F is that it is built to a price, has anything but a sporty chassis/frame/suspension, and the motor is lukewarm. It's a bargain-type bike that is very clearly built to a price. The ZZR was a top of the line bike that is continued to be made as the tooling is already paid for a million years ago.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2009, 08:21 PM   #21
sombo

What about all the good reviews the GSX650F has been getting?

I'm not trying to disagree, I'm honestly curious about both bikes.

Old August 21st, 2009, 08:34 PM   #22
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I guess what it comes down to is that it's hard to find a bad bike nowadays. They're all pretty darned good. But if two bikes are aimed at the same market, go for about the same price, and differ on some features; people can certainly decide that one is better for their purposes for a variety of reasons. The ZZR has a better pedigree, and IMO has the components that make for a sportier, yet still eminently useful, motorcycle. Doesn't mean the 650F is a dog, but I don't find any compelling reason to choose it over the Kawi.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2009, 09:13 PM   #23
sombo

Hmmm, interesting. I guess my slight holdup with the ZZR is that it's carb'd and I'm just not a big fan of carburetors tbh. Had trouble with cars that were carb'd in the past and just find the pros of FI to be better then the pros of a carburetor. But that's just my opinion. If the ZZR was FI powered then it would be a landslide win. I think it looks better then the 650F even if it's about 10yrs old in design. Plus, even though both are considered to be mid-range sport-tourers, the ZZR doesn't look it. To me it honestly looks nothing like a sport-tourer but rather looks like a true sport bike. The pre-gen ninjette looks like a sport-tourer while the new-gen looks like a sport bike.

I know I want to sit on both and take them both for a spin eventually. Only problem is finding the ZZR. There's virtually none for sale that I can find.

Old August 22nd, 2009, 06:36 AM   #24
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

My local dealer in Quincy,Ill. has 3 of them still in the crates.
Call around they are out there brand new then you won't be
buying used where you won't know how it it was taken care of.
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2009, 11:55 AM   #25
bluphobic
ninjette.org member

Are there any other bikes (yr/model) that anyone would like to comment on. I've taken into consideration to look at CBR's 04' and higher. The consensus is that the ZZR600 is another good bike.

Old August 22nd, 2009, 01:24 PM   #26
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Alex pretty much listed it for you. Its not the the F is a bad bike, but it was built to be a entry level sport standard and the zzr was built to be a super sport of the time. Its just he the progression of the modern super sport had made them more and more of the race reps we know of now. In the last several years, the super sport market has demanded a radical reassesment of the bikes every two to three years - making a top of the line sport bike of 2000 more like a sporting standard. i could go on and on and rant but i will throw down why I find the ZZR to be a far superior SPORT bike.

weight - 530 ish for the zuk 430 ish for the Kawi
chassis - stolen straight from the european bandit, the zuk has a steel naked standard frame while the kawi has a aluminum frame that at the time won championships
power - hight 70s at the wheel for the zuk low 90s at the wheel for the kawi
brakes - 4 piston non radial 310mm for the zuk six piston non radial for the kawi 300 mm
suspension 41mm pre load only fork for zuk 46 mm fully adjustable fork for the kawi (both kinda budget but the zuk much more so) - rear shock for the zuk is preload and rebound while again on the kawi full adjustability

you guys can feel free to look up even more specifications but the contest is this - with the ZZR you get a machine that was built with all the racing technology available a decade ago, packaged in a ergo setup that is sportier than a standard but not break your back like todays race reps. with the 650F you get an infusion of newer technology - but of the budget sense, meant to fill an entry level hole left by the katana

THAT is what in my eyes make the ZZR and much better sport bike than the GSX650F

Old August 23rd, 2009, 01:33 AM   #27
sombo

Alright, thank you for your response. That's exactly the type of info and feedback I was looking for. Now to decide if I want more of a true sport bike or more of a sport-tourer. That 90hp kinda spooks me a little still, considering where I'm at in my riding right now. But I honestly don't plan on getting anything else until next summer. So because of that wait, and because I know of the last brand new ZZR600 in the state already being sold, means I won't have a choice when I finally go SERIOUSLY looking for one. I still want to try them both out before making any final decisions. But tbh, I kinda like Kawasaki's in general a little more to begin with.

Old August 23rd, 2009, 06:15 AM   #28
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

dont forget the Yamaha R6S which is the rebadged 03-04 r6 (the seat height is more tolerable than the newer R6) Or even try to find a used YZF-600r thundercat they made those up till about 07. The R6s is fuel injected by the way.
Daeldren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2009, 03:45 PM   #29
andrewexd
ninjette.org guru

I sat on the cbr600rr and the gsxr600 today, both really nice bikes. The handlebars are much further up than the 250. The height isnt too bad, I could probably ride either without lowering. The only thing I worry is if i will have back pains, I get pain from riding the 250 so I don't want more back pain !! they had the zx6r and r6 but im not interested in those much.

Old August 23rd, 2009, 04:02 PM   #30
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Make the bike fit you. There's no good reason to be uncomfortable, ever.

Look into Heli bars.

I'm a bit of an ergonomics nut... if something doesn't fit me, it's not MY fault, it's the MACHINE'S fault. I routinely modify all kinds of stuff to make it fit me better.*

The 250R fits me really, really well, right out of the box. If a bike with the exact same ergos and a bigger engine were offered, I'd buy it.

*Really, really seriously off-topic reference that nobody but me will get... Science fiction writer Larry Niven's The Mote in God's Eye.

I'm a "brownie."
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2009, 04:06 PM   #31
andrewexd
ninjette.org guru

yeah i'll probably have to, maybe i should rent one for a day and see how it feels (when i buy which isnt for a while)

Old August 23rd, 2009, 04:55 PM   #32
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

Quote:
+ infinity

Old August 23rd, 2009, 04:56 PM   #33
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

^^ i do also agree with adouglas. I never see a car or motorcycle as a finished product that is what I have to live with - I see it as a canvas, blank and ready for my enjoyment and touch. i do however fully believe you shoud do the research and find the machine that meets the most of your most important requirements to start with. those requirements are different to everyone as well.

Old August 23rd, 2009, 06:11 PM   #34
gitoy
ninjette.org guru

Name: gitoy

Motorcycle(s): 04 ninja 250, 05 zzr 600 (sold), 07 cbr600rr

Quote:
The consensus is that the ZZR600 is another good bike.
well heck, blu...i guess i might as well chime in...

i have the 250 and the zzr so i have experiences on both...44k on two 250s, 10k on the zzr...haven't ridden other 600s...

i ride the 250 a lot more than the 600...but that is just me since i ride more technical roads...more flickable and no problems what so ever on the freeway unlike the other thread suggesting otherwise...

now the 600...shave the seat, or even get it lowered, and you are set to go......as far as the carbs, start right up, no hesitation, no problemo...of course i live in socal...

if you haven't seen this review to which i concurr, here is the link...

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/14february05_zzr600.htm
gitoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:10 PM   #35
andrewexd
ninjette.org guru

geez it costs 200 bucks a day to rent a cbr600rr (800 a week).... and on the website it says I must be 25 and have experience riding a similar powered bike and I have neither... so then whats the point !? who rents a 600 when they have a 600 ?

to the op (since i forgot), I kind of doubt you will be able to get enough of your feet down to feel safe/comfortable riding on a supersport. I know some people just use one leg to stop but I don't think I would prefer that. According to wikipedia the gsxr is slightly lower than than the cbr600rr (0.3 inches) and I could tell from sitting on them. According to the dealer you can lower the cbr600 without any links so thats a plus and its lighter. 341lbs dry vs 391lbs dry.

Old August 24th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #36
im_a_ninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Shannon

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Quote:
I'm on a quest to find a good sized 600cc SS bike that fits short riders comfortably. That includes riding position, Clipon reach, ground reach. I've done many 300-500mile trips and have had no comfort issues with the 250. To give you and idea about myself, I'm 5'5" with short legs, i can almost flat foot the 2fity on both sides w/motorcycle shoes on. I've heard that gsxr's and cbr's are good for short riders but I haven't heard exactly why though.
I'm 5'2" tall with a 30 inch inseam.
I sat on the new cbr 600rr the other day and I'm dead-set on buying one!
They are so comfortable and I can touch the ground exactly the same as my ninja 250...granted that isn't flat and I did lower my 250 a bit to get flatfooted. But, either way, it's about the same...seems like I could ride it. Ive sat on a gsxr and they just seem HUGE to me.

hth
shannon
im_a_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2009, 02:48 AM   #37
Xorro
ninjette.org member

Name: Zoe

Motorcycle(s): CBR650F replacing the Ninja 300

Hi Shannon, out of interest what year CBR600 did you sit on?
Posted via Mobile Device
Xorro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2009, 06:33 AM   #38
im_a_ninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Shannon

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorro View Post
Hi Shannon, out of interest what year CBR600 did you sit on?
Posted via Mobile Device
The CBR I sat on was just put on the floor, so I'm guessing it's a 2009. It was red and black and I really liked it a lot. I want one so bad.
im_a_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2009, 07:30 AM   #39
bluphobic
ninjette.org member

I just stopped by the dealership the other day and the new CBR's are nice. The reach didn't seem that bad but you never really know until you ride it. I could definately tell that the bars sit a little higher then an R6 or ZX6R. I was on my toes but with some moto shoes on, it'll probably be better. As far as price is concerned, too much money. I'll save my funds for a used CBR on craigslist. Well, i think i've made my mind. Now i just need to sell the 250.

Old August 25th, 2009, 06:50 PM   #40
sombo

Stopped by a dealership today that had a modded 2006 ZZR600 with 19k miles on it for $6500 (a bit much if you ask me) and got to sit on it. OMG I couldn't believe how light it felt. I wasn't quite as flat footed as on the 250 but with how light it felt and how much I could actually touch the ground it felt sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good.

I feel dirty, like I cheated on my bike.

I don't really want to give up the 250 but the ZZR is calling to me with a voice like Hal from 2010 Space Odyssey. "Mike, come to me Mike. Buy me Mike, you know you want to ride me."

Help!!!!!