ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 28th, 2009, 09:20 AM   #41
cifex
ninjette.org guru

Name: Z

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (sold)

My buddy on his old CB650 took off from a dead stop and were dead matched up to about 60mph when we backed off it. However, he only has about 800miles of riding in vs my 5k so who knows what he was doing.
cifex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #42
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

I hate to beat a dead horse here but my bike is far from stock. I dynoed my bike and got over 30 rear wheel horsepower. (up almost 25% from stock) Ive ran it thru the quarter ALOT, I run it on the track. My bike has a wet weight of somewhere in the 340 lb range with a half tank of gas. I weigh about 150 lbs in full track gear and even less at the dragstrip. Go ahead and think that 650 of yours will beat my trackbike with me on it if you please. Your welcome to meet me at Gingerman raceway in Michigan and Ill spank that 650 lap after lap after lap and down the 1300 foot+ straight.(ill even switch back to the stock rubber) As far as the dragstrip goes Ill run mid 14's all night and if the weather is right the low 14's.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #43
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

I hit 60 around 6 to 6.5 seconds. I weigh 155. The guy who tested the 7.5 time was on the heavy side im sure.
The number is highly dependent on how much you weigh. I'm sure the time would be slower if i weigh even 20 pounds more.
Nickds7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #44
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Nick - how are you measuring that you've hit 60 mph, by the speedometer? If so, it really needs to be measured by when you hit 65 - 67 on that gauge; an indicated 60 mph is quite a bit less than a true 60 mph for the vast majority of our ninjettes. Not like it matters a whole heck of alot, but that small difference would be more than enough to change a 6.5 second run to 7.0 seconds pretty easily.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #45
Mista Bob
Über n00b

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Triumph TT600, Honda NS50F, Kawasaki ZZR-250 (sold)

Alright I'm going to end the whole thing right here and now.
Ninja 250R 0-60 stock (which is what I was talking about the whole time, until you came around almost40) will not be ANYWHERE near 5.5.

Let's have a comparison here, to the Yamaha WR250X.
Also stock of course, this bike will do 0-60 in 7.5 to 7.6xx seconds confirmed by several sources.

Well, what better way to demonstrate it then a video pitting the two against each other.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuJXm5fLTcM (race starts at 1:30 in video, they do two runs switching riders for the 2nd)

That right there should settle it. The Ninja loses for those that don't want to watch the video.

And Almost40, I'd be extremely impressed if you actually managed to knock over 1second off that guys (a pros) 1/4 mile time.
I'd be lying if I doubted the possibility of that with your minor modifications, sorry.
Although I do have to admit I don't know how much tires affect 1/4 times of bikes (only familiar with cars when it comes to the 1/4 mile) and you are running slicks, correct?
I would also be equally impressed (and doubtful) if you knocked off 2 seconds off the 0-60 time.
However, my bike is still faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Nick - how are you measuring that you've hit 60 mph
Would love to hear this.
Mista Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2009, 06:35 PM   #46
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Nick - how are you measuring that you've hit 60 mph, by the speedometer? If so, it really needs to be measured by when you hit 65 - 67 on that gauge; an indicated 60 mph is quite a bit less than a true 60 mph for the vast majority of our ninjettes. Not like it matters a whole heck of alot, but that small difference would be more than enough to change a 6.5 second run to 7.0 seconds pretty easily.
Correct, 65 on the guage. I'm exactly 10% off (although thats 66 :P) There is an iphone app that uses accelerometers to test 0-60. Might try mounting one with Velcro to get an even more accurate time.
Nickds7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2009, 06:39 PM   #47
muffinman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), '05 ZX6R / 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost40 View Post
I hate to beat a dead horse here but my bike is far from stock. I dynoed my bike and got over 30 rear wheel horsepower. (up almost 25% from stock) Ive ran it thru the quarter ALOT, I run it on the track. My bike has a wet weight of somewhere in the 340 lb range with a half tank of gas. I weigh about 150 lbs in full track gear and even less at the dragstrip. Go ahead and think that 650 of yours will beat my trackbike with me on it if you please. Your welcome to meet me at Gingerman raceway in Michigan and Ill spank that 650 lap after lap after lap and down the 1300 foot+ straight.(ill even switch back to the stock rubber) As far as the dragstrip goes Ill run mid 14's all night and if the weather is right the low 14's.
Wow, you're pretty awesome.

The point wasn't whether you could outpace someone through the twisties on a track, but a drag race from A to B.

I also think we were discussing a stock 250 with some minor mods.. a "heavily" modded 250 shaving 2+ seconds off its 0-60 time isn't really a Ninjette anymore, is it?

Hell, I could put $20,000 into a Toyota Echo and make it a track monster but it still wouldn't be representative of the typical Echo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost40
Ill take that bet all day long. Bring your wallet. Hell with a 2 second lead, Ill bet I beat you thru the quarter mile.
I also call BS.. but hey, who knows, maybe you're the next Rossi and are the exception to the rule.

2009 250R 0-60mph run on YouTube... it took him around 7 seconds keeping the revs in between 8k ~ 12.5k to get to the SPEEDO 60mph (which is really about 54-55 mph).

Link to original page on YouTube.

muffinman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #48
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

Since we are debating Youtube Videos, here is one for this mix.

Link to original page on YouTube.

It looks around 6 seconds to 100kph(62mph). He did however have a bad start slowly pulling into traffic and rolling on rather then a good launch.

Who knows what mods may or may not be done to the bike.

Also, I'm not debating what the bike does 0-60 in.
It's PLENTY fast enough for daily riding and I would say it IS faster then 90% of cars on the road (there are TONS of faster cars, but you mainly see SUVs, minivans, and small economy cars on the road).
Whether it does 0-60 in 5 seconds or 9 seconds, it's more then fast enough to get going above the legal speed limit quickly.

I just wanted to throw the video in for the mix (remember it isnt hard to slightly speed up or slow down a video as well...)

Old August 29th, 2009, 12:08 AM   #49
almost40

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Its your story and 650 mista, you tell it anyway you want. I watched that vid long ago and judging by reaction times of those 2 riders they are a long long long way from being pro's at the strip. I just find this whole thing amusing and especially you, and that 650. You used to own an 04 250 and took that giant leap to a 650? Buyers remorse? I think theres something your not telling us. Did you lose a race with a 250 while riding your 650? Is that why you come here and tell us all how fast that 650 is? Are you holding some resentment for selling your 250? Talk all the smack you want about your 650. this conversation started over a 2 second lead against a Lexus.
BEWARE of the little 250. You might just get spanked by one out there on the street even if your on your big bad 650.
FYI
I didnt mod my bike heavily, Hell, I didnt even crack open the motor. Ive got the same mods most of the guys here have. I shaved some weight off her, tuned the carb for hours and made about 100 passes at the dragstrip.

I know what my bike will do. I know with a 2 second lead Ill spank that Lexus to 60 all day long and unless it runs 12.5 second quarters (which I doubt) Ill beat it there too.

Muffinman Im not the next Rossi, I perfer Ben Spies. Your also welcome to meet me at the track if you please. Bring that ZX-6 to Gingerman It doesnt scare me a bit.

Old August 29th, 2009, 12:44 AM   #50
Mista Bob
Über n00b

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Triumph TT600, Honda NS50F, Kawasaki ZZR-250 (sold)

Quote:
Its your story and 650 mista, you tell it anyway you want. I watched that vid long ago and judging by reaction times of those 2 riders they are a long long long way from being pro's at the strip. I just find this whole thing amusing and especially you, and that 650. You used to own an 04 250 and took that giant leap to a 650? Buyers remorse? I think theres something your not telling us. Did you lose a race with a 250 while riding your 650? Is that why you come here and tell us all how fast that 650 is? Are you holding some resentment for selling your 250? Talk all the smack you want about your 650. this conversation started over a 2 second lead against a Lexus.
BEWARE of the little 250. You might just get spanked by one out there on the street even if your on your big bad 650.
FYI

Yeah.... I didn't buy the DR650 because I wanted to do a little bit of off roading, nor did I buy it because the riding position suits me better (I'm tall).
Sarcasm by the way.

I bought it expecting it to be equally as "fast" as the 250, but instead I ended being surprised at just how much of a difference torque can make (also has more HP but that's not as important).
The intention of "upgrading" was never part of the reason for buying it.
It was to get something different because well... I wanted to? and the little 250 wasn't working for me.

Either way, the burden of proof isn't on me.
I'm not the one claiming crazy performance stats on my bike.
I already posted a video of a 250 getting smacked around by a bike that does 0-60 in 7.5 seconds.
0-60 being what this whole topic is about.
Not pro's? Well why don't you show us proof of how awesome your fire breathing monster 250 is with the amazing rider that you are on it.
I would absolutely love to be proven wrong here, I really would.
So please do.

Also you still haven't clarified how you are measuring your 0-60.

Quote:
Did you lose a race with a 250 while riding your 650? Is that why you come here and tell us all how fast that 650 is? Are you holding some resentment for selling your 250?
That's my favourite part, you should be a comedian.

Now, this is starting to get a tad off topic. If you want to continue this I'd be more then happy to do so via PM.
Mista Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2009, 01:47 AM   #51
istreefitty
sir posts a lot

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

Quote:
Ill take that bet all day long. Bring your wallet. Hell with a 2 second lead, Ill bet I beat you thru the quarter mile.
obviously a 2 second lead would bea little extreme however nowher near as extreme as a 5.5 second claim on our ninjette 0-60

Dude i wouldnt want to take your money. my little is350 does sub 5 sec 0-6 and mid-high 13s in the 1/4 mile (both video tested by track times and gps units). sorry man but i would not only beat ya but i would have enough time to go buy you a bottle of water to drink after you cross the finish line

that said I do not want to take anything away from our ninjette. the fact is our bike has 14X less displacement (than the 350) and gets 2x the MPG of my is350 (and that is the is350 is being driven like a grandmother). If I wanted braggin rights I would have gotten a busa and who knows what would have happened.
istreefitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2009, 06:12 AM   #52
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

Here is my problem with looking at performance numbers on bikes, they really are all relative to rider weight, elevation, etc... Plus lets not forget that a bike takes more skill to ride to 90% than a car. Now if you switched the shifting pattern to GP shifting I'm sure your 0-60 times would be a little faster just due to reaction time being faster. That being said our ninja's are not drag strip monsters, neither is a rs125 which actually has a slower 0-60 if I remember correctly but that doesn't make them slow bikes at all, with a good rider pushing either of those two bikes to 90% 99% of their abilities you will see a whole new side to the little speed demons.

Lets also keep in mind that a rider who can comfortably tuck well inside the ninja's fairings will reduce the drag a bit better, and drag does have a huge effect on the ninja due to its small motor.
Daeldren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2009, 09:33 AM   #53
almost40

If it runs mid-high 13's with a 2 second lead you cant even beat my little ninja when it was stock thru the quarter. I never said my ninja will run 5.5 seconds. I said sub 6 second runs are possible with a rider under 180lbs. You go on thinking you will take my money but I can do math and Im quite sure Id make a pretty penny off you with a 2 second lead.
As far as 0-60 times go the dragstip I goto doesnt give that info. In order to turn a sub 15 second run you have to be under 6 seconds to 60 because theres no way your making all that time up on the big end of the track with our tourqe limited 250. I have no way to measure an accurate 0-60 time but years at the strip, 60 foot times, and 1/8 mile times along with some common sense make my statement alot closer to fact than a you tube video of two guys who are taking a nap at the tree.

Lets also keep in mind that a rider who can comfortably tuck well inside the ninja's fairings will reduce the drag a bit better, and drag does have a huge effect on the ninja due to its small motor.

Amen to that, its the key to getting low 14's. That and staying away form Ice cream.