ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 19th, 2010, 11:06 PM   #41
kobachi
ninjette.org member

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250R

Thanks all! Apologies for the repeated thread, the inability to search for 3-character terms is a real drag. I just found my spare (thought I'd lost it, too!), so I'll take to a dealer and see if I can get a copy.
kobachi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2010, 11:28 PM   #42
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobachi View Post
the inability to search for 3-character terms is a real drag.
Agreed! There's no easy way around it. MySQL sets the minimum length at 4 for fulltext search, and strongly warns against moving it down to 3 as the server load take a surprisingly substantial hit. I'll keep this in mind for testing at some point, but it's near the bottom of the list.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2010, 12:58 AM   #43
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Agreed! There's no easy way around it. MySQL sets the minimum length at 4 for fulltext search, and strongly warns against moving it down to 3 as the server load take a surprisingly substantial hit. I'll keep this in mind for testing at some point, but it's near the bottom of the list.
is it possible to set it to include selective 3 letter words?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2010, 02:40 AM   #44
kobachi
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Surely the forum is not doing fulltext search of every post on every search? There must be an index somewhere, built into either vBulletin, MySQL, or both. While I certainly won't presume to know the amount of traffic ninjette.org sees, I am a software engineer by both education and occupation. For the size of the dataset and the usage scenario here, and considering that the "one per ten second" limit is also enabled on searches here, I'd have a hard time seeing a significant affect on server performance by lowering the limit to three characters. I imagine the MySQL warning is a generic one, meant to keep people out of trouble who wouldn't know any better. Maybe give it a shot and, if things get too slow, simply put it back up?

Old April 20th, 2010, 05:49 AM   #45
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
is it possible to set it to include selective 3 letter words?
Nope. It used to be if you use the old-style vbulletin built-in search, but everyone migrated to the mysql fulltext search years back as it's orders of magnitude quicker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobachi View Post
Surely the forum is not doing fulltext search of every post on every search? There must be an index somewhere, built into either vBulletin, MySQL, or both. While I certainly won't presume to know the amount of traffic ninjette.org sees, I am a software engineer by both education and occupation. For the size of the dataset and the usage scenario here, and considering that the "one per ten second" limit is also enabled on searches here, I'd have a hard time seeing a significant affect on server performance by lowering the limit to three characters. I imagine the MySQL warning is a generic one, meant to keep people out of trouble who wouldn't know any better. Maybe give it a shot and, if things get too slow, simply put it back up?
It's on the list, but it's not high priority. The how-to is up here (link), but I need to see if my current host allows those modifications to mysql. Many shared hosting platforms don't allow access to those parameters, but I believe on our current one it may be possible.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old April 22nd, 2010, 12:14 AM   #46
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

The previous owner may have written the code in the manual as instructed. Also, I hear that it is stamped somewhere near the key hole.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2010, 04:13 PM   #47
sinblesser
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Steven

Motorcycle(s): '08 250r

Hahh, thanks for this post, the old owner of my bike never gave me the number for it.
sinblesser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2010, 03:16 PM   #48
Alex
ninjette.org dude

OK - I've updated the mysql parameters, and we can now search for 3-letter search terms on this site. It'll be that much easier when somebody asks about a key going forward.

Old May 23rd, 2010, 03:18 PM   #49
kkim

yay!!
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2010, 03:21 PM   #50
kobachi
ninjette.org member

Quote:
OK - I've updated the mysql parameters, and we can now search for 3-letter search terms on this site. It'll be that much easier when somebody asks about a key going forward.
Excellent! Thank you! =)

Old November 30th, 2010, 10:11 AM   #51
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

$13 key?

Do I need a $13 blank key?

What are my options?
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2010, 10:34 AM   #52
2WheelGuy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Motorcycle(s): '98 EX250, '02 EX250, '08 250r, '03 SV650, '98 GSXR750 '03 Hayabusa, '87 YSR50, '84 ZX900, +MORE

You should be able to get a pre-gen blank from most locksmiths for a couple bucks.

I haven't seen any generic blanks for the new-gen 250s, 2008+. I had to purchase an OEM blank for mine.
AFM #278
2WheelGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2010, 11:48 AM   #53
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

The OEM plastic-headed Kawasaki key is uber-expensive for a blank IMHO. Cheapest I've seen one of those is around $14. Ron Ayers has them for $8 and change plus shipping, FWIW. On the other hand, the ILCO X266 (or X103 for pre-1999 bikes) typically only costs a couple of bucks. From reports, the X266 will require some slight filing to work properly, but when I cut my own key I didn't have to do that. From several cross reference books I see that the Ilco X41 KA14 is supposed to be the correct blank. I haven't looked at that blank so don't know how accurate it is. Check out a local independent locksmith for blanks, you may be pleasantly surprised at price.

Some reference material on keys:

http://forums.ninja250.org/posting.p...&t=66079&tro=1

http://forums.ninja250.org/viewtopic...=791518#791518
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2010, 12:36 PM   #54
onetruevibe
Love Rival

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

I had a bad scare a few weeks ago, thinking I had lost my only key.

From what I've read on this forum and on others - that is a nightmare.

After finding it I immediately (after doing a happy dance) ordered a blank from here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3#ht_500wt_956

USD12.56 is a small price to pay, IMHO.

Next up - find someone to cut the blank.

Old November 30th, 2010, 01:53 PM   #55
ithaca00
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250 (street), 1994 EX250 (Race), 2008 250R (Race), 2000 250 (project), 1991 EL250 (a cruiser!)

My local ACE hardware had the generic blanks for both my classic and new gen bike. If it's a street bike I recommend riding there so you can test the key in all locks so they can make corrections as needed.
ithaca00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2010, 02:15 PM   #56
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetruevibe View Post
From what I've read on this forum and on others - that is a nightmare.
How so? The key code is right on the bike, and any Kawi dealer can cut a new key based on that key code. In fact, it seems almost too easy to create a key that will start the bike (that may or may not belong to you).

Info in this thread and this one.

Old November 30th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #57
FrugalNinja250

A lot of independent locksmiths also bought the code key book for Kawasaki bikes. The one down the street from me can cut a code key easily.

Old November 30th, 2010, 04:30 PM   #58
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
How so? The key code is right on the bike, and any Kawi dealer can cut a new key based on that key code. In fact, it seems almost too easy to create a key that will start the bike (that may or may not belong to you).

I read something about the keymakers refusing to cut it because they'd have to dedicate a cutting wheel for the metal type. IIRC, it was aluminum when most were steel.

Old November 30th, 2010, 10:43 PM   #59
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
A lot of independent locksmiths also bought the code key book for Kawasaki bikes. The one down the street from me can cut a code key easily.
I'm in sw Ft Worth(hulen st). Where can I find this locksmith this weekend?

Old November 30th, 2010, 10:56 PM   #60
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

I dunno about local to you, but if you need a new key cut from your code and aren't having any luck in your area, I know a dealer near me that does it. Hillbilly Cycle Sales in Princeton, WV. Happy to liaison for ya if you need it.

I had an OEM blank cut by my local TrueValue though. Not sure what this business is about needing to dedicate a separate cutting machine though... if our keys are aluminum vs the 'standard' steel, a normal wheel would cut our keys like butter.

Old November 30th, 2010, 11:34 PM   #61
ryu hayabusa
ninjette.org member

Name: ion

Motorcycle(s): 2000 ninja 250r

Quote:
. From several cross reference books I see that the Ilco X41 KA14 is supposed to be the correct blank. I haven't looked at that blank so don't know how accurate it is. [/url]
i tried that key, it barely worked on the gas cap, it didn't work at all on the ignition. maybe it needs filed?

Old December 1st, 2010, 06:57 AM   #62
FrugalNinja250

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I read something about the keymakers refusing to cut it because they'd have to dedicate a cutting wheel for the metal type. IIRC, it was aluminum when most were steel.
Nah, all the Kawi keys I've seen are brass. Some aluminum keys are out there in house keys but the cutting isn't any different really. I've not seen steel keys anywhere at all.

Old December 1st, 2010, 06:59 AM   #63
FrugalNinja250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasko View Post
I'm in sw Ft Worth(hulen st). Where can I find this locksmith this weekend?
Acme Safe Key & Lock
602 West Pipeline Road (NW corner of Hurstview)
Hurst, TX 76053-4926
(817) 282-7441

They were really decent to me, even gave me some Toyota key wafers to play with so I could re-key some locks on my bike.

Old December 1st, 2010, 07:20 AM   #64
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Quote:
Acme Safe Key & Lock
602 West Pipeline Road (NW corner of Hurstview)
Hurst, TX 76053-4926
(817) 282-7441

They were really decent to me, even gave me some Toyota key wafers to play with so I could re-key some locks on my bike.
Thank you.

Old December 1st, 2010, 02:04 PM   #65
FrugalNinja250

Ordered 6 OEM key blanks from Ron Ayers today, should be here in a week or two. Once they get here I'll track down the Ilco key blanks (X266, X103, X41) and measure/study them to see what all is different, and post what I find here and over on Ninja250.org. Then I'll cut a new key for my bike.

Old December 3rd, 2010, 03:01 PM   #66
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Nah, all the Kawi keys I've seen are brass. Some aluminum keys are out there in house keys but the cutting isn't any different really. I've not seen steel keys anywhere at all.
Obviously, I[didn't]RC.

So, what I was told then was that the type of metal used in the Kawi key was different than most keys and that keymakers were reluctant to dedicate a cutting wheel to it. Something about the metal bits embedded in the wheel after using it meaning that they can't use it on another type of metal for some reason.

Old December 3rd, 2010, 03:47 PM   #67
FrugalNinja250

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Obviously, I[didn't]RC.

So, what I was told then was that the type of metal used in the Kawi key was different than most keys and that keymakers were reluctant to dedicate a cutting wheel to it. Something about the metal bits embedded in the wheel after using it meaning that they can't use it on another type of metal for some reason.
Straight BS. Probably didn't want to cut the key so made up a lame excuse rather than just say no.

Old December 6th, 2010, 01:04 AM   #68
Memengkamatis
ninjette.org member

Name: AL

Motorcycle(s): ex250r, vulcan 800b, k1200r

$13 key.

Bought key blanks on Ebay from a dealer from Hialeah, Fl. He said to insert the keys onto the locks to make sure the profile is correct then took it to a locksmith to be cut. Rode the bike there and tested each one. Cost was $5.56 each blank and $2 bucks to cut. Ride safe.

Meng
Memengkamatis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2010, 07:35 AM   #69
onetruevibe
Love Rival

Quote:

I agree, locating the key code is way too easy - but apparently finding someone who can actually cut the key from the code is not so straightforward. I was basing my comment on what I read in this thread on KF:

http://www.kawiforums.com/ninja-250r...ey-code-3.html

Yet even the authors of the threads you link to have found the process to be a real PITA. It seems Hillbilly Cycle Sales in West Virginia is the place to go

Old December 6th, 2010, 04:38 PM   #70
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

I had mine made by a local locksmith. The cost was $10 for a look-a-like kawi key. The new key is indistinguishable from the original except that it doesn't say "Kawasaki" on it.
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2010, 07:58 AM   #71
FrugalNinja250

Does your new key have a rubber coated head on it? The blanks I've seen, at least the Ilco ones, are all metal.

Old December 7th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #72
n4mwd

Mine has the rubber head exactly like the original. The name on it is "SILCA - Made in Italy." The blank number is: KW12BP. Regarding code cut keys, my locksmith charges $50 for those.

Old December 10th, 2010, 07:24 AM   #73
FrugalNinja250

Silca is no longer sold in the states, but I found a distributor who had some old stock. Got ten blanks on order for less than $20, should be here next week. I have the Ilco blanks and hopefully the OEM Kawasaki blanks will be here shortly.

Old December 10th, 2010, 04:17 PM   #74
Ichiro
ninjette.org member

Name: Ichiro

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r(sold). 2013 Kymco Super8 150

The problems people have referred to having to do with keys, codes, cutting,etc.were related to the 2008 and new gen Ninjas, not pre-2008 models.
Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2010, 04:54 AM   #75
n4mwd

The blank codes I gave were for the 2006 model. I don't know if they fit anything else. I live in South Florida and my locksmith had no problem getting the Silca blanks.

Do the new-gen keys have chips or something?

Old December 11th, 2010, 08:31 AM   #76
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Nope, just a different blank
Kinda wish our bikes were that high tech, but do you really think Kawasaki would put an electronic ignition control system in a bike they couldn't be bothered to consistently put FI into?

Old December 11th, 2010, 09:45 AM   #77
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiro View Post
The problems people have referred to having to do with keys, codes, cutting,etc.were related to the 2008 and new gen Ninjas, not pre-2008 models.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Old December 11th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #78
onetruevibe
Love Rival

I just got back from the local hardware store where they cut my 2008 OEM key blank.

The younger guys there wouldn't touch it so they called the old-timer/owner back and he was very hesitant and offered no guarantees. I asked why and he said that his machine couldn't hold the key properly in the clamps, making it impossible to use the other key as an exact guide. He'd have to "eye-ball" it.

Good enough for me - he whipped it out for $1.50. Although, I did get a little nervous when the blank slipped out of the clamp at one point and shot across the room.

Anyway, I'm no key-cutting expert, so his story may have been rubbish, but I thought I'd share.

Old December 11th, 2010, 11:13 AM   #79
Ichiro
ninjette.org member

Name: Ichiro

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r(sold). 2013 Kymco Super8 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetruevibe View Post
I just got back from the local hardware store where they cut my 2008 OEM key blank.

The younger guys there wouldn't touch it so they called the old-timer/owner back and he was very hesitant and offered no guarantees. I asked why and he said that his machine couldn't hold the key properly in the clamps, making it impossible to use the other key as an exact guide. He'd have to "eye-ball" it.

Good enough for me - he whipped it out for $1.50. Although, I did get a little nervous when the blank slipped out of the clamp at one point and shot across the room.

Anyway, I'm no key-cutting expert, so his story may have been rubbish, but I thought I'd share.

Quote:
So are these New Gen OEM keys steel or brass? Sure looks like steel.
Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2010, 10:57 PM   #80
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Quote:
Silca is no longer sold in the states, but I found a distributor who had some old stock. Got ten blanks on order for less than $20, should be here next week. I have the Ilco blanks and hopefully the OEM Kawasaki blanks will be here shortly.
How are the blanks?
Wanna sell one?