ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old December 10th, 2010, 05:18 AM   #1
magikmagikninjawhut
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Footpeg/ rear sets

Hey, Im a new rider and was thinking about some Farkles mods.

Was thinking about getting some nicer looking footpegs but thought id ask you all what pro/cons on these 3 options;

-Just aftermarket Footpegs
-Aftermarket footpegs + Rearset adjusters
-Or a New rear set

Rear Sets look awesome but would they be any use to fork out so much $$ For a new rider over just some footpegs and adjusters?
magikmagikninjawhut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2010, 06:54 AM   #2
Foreigner
ninjette.org member

Name: Debbie

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikmagikninjawhut View Post
Hey, Im a new rider and was thinking about some Farkles mods.

Was thinking about getting some nicer looking footpegs but thought id ask you all what pro/cons on these 3 options;

-Just aftermarket Footpegs
-Aftermarket footpegs + Rearset adjusters
-Or a New rear set

Rear Sets look awesome but would they be any use to fork out so much $$ For a new rider over just some footpegs and adjusters?

Hey Tom, welcome to the forum!

Unless you're taking the bike to a track, I don't think you really need rearsets, it's a lot of money to spend on bling, but that's my personal view. Aftermarket rearsets have the advantage of being more robust than OEM as they're solidly mounted (OEM footpegs are on hinges). They also help increase ground clearance (letting you lean further), but you shouldn't really be leaning that far on the street anyway.

If it's a matter of comfort/seating position, add adjusters with a new set of footpegs, yoshimura makes some for example:

https://www.yoshimura-rd.com/ps-4403...-brackets.aspx

Some rearsets actually bring the footpegs up higher and tighter. As they're solidly mounted, if you lower them a lot, you risk lifting the bike if you lean too far and the pegs touch the ground - um, ouch.

If you think you'll end up taking the Ninjette to the track eventually, save up and go for the rearsets. If that's not your intention, at the end of the day, it's a matter of taste, and what you're personally willing to spend on looks.

Old December 10th, 2010, 07:46 AM   #3
magikmagikninjawhut
ninjette.org newbie

Yeah thats what I was thinking.

So

Matched with

Might be the better option then.

What is this sagging i hear with some aftermarket footpegs?
I would hope that Yoshi's quailty would not do that compared to the cheap ebay ones people on here talk about or is it worth saving my money and just getting the cheap ones?

And yeah, wont be tracking the 250. Plan is to upgrade to her bigger sister once i get some experience behind my belt.

Old December 10th, 2010, 08:55 AM   #4
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Hey Tom, how long have you been riding? Is your riding position comfortable to you or do you feel like you need to shift your feet back? I just started riding in September and after a few months and nearly 2k miles, it always felt like I needed my feet a little further back. Make sure you are comfortable with the bike enough that when you install rearset adjusters, it doesn't make riding more difficult. I love my rearset adjusters for what they do. I would suggest the Shinto rearset adjusters instead of the yoshi ones since they offer more adjustment points.
CThunder-blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2010, 08:55 AM   #5
Foreigner
ninjette.org member

Name: Debbie

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

By sagging do you mean they become bent, or loose? Haven't heard of that before, but perhaps someone might have more experience.

I don't think you're obliged to get the yoshi pegs with the adjusters, you can get others if you prefer their look, as long as they fit the original rearsets. I think the Yoshi adjusters would probably be good quality (if price is any indication). Do you need to adjust the pegs? Otherwise, get them on their own and forget the adjuster.

From what I can tell in this thread, people seemed happy with the cheap ones anyway, although they do mention sagging

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33881

If you're not entirely sure about the cheap option, take a look in this post and see if any of these sites offer a good set of aftermarket pegs:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37334

It pays to do an internet search for reviews of people who've used them, sometimes, even the same brand but on a different bike. Good luck!

Old December 10th, 2010, 09:05 AM   #6
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

I personally really like the feel of the OEM pegs. Maybe I'm just strange tho . I don't think the round pegs would be very comfortable to me. That and the rubber helps give you grip.
CThunder-blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2010, 09:14 AM   #7
magikmagikninjawhut
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreigner View Post
By sagging do you mean they become bent, or loose? Haven't heard of that before, but perhaps someone might have more experience.

I don't think you're obliged to get the yoshi pegs with the adjusters, you can get others if you prefer their look, as long as they fit the original rearsets. I think the Yoshi adjusters would probably be good quality (if price is any indication). Do you need to adjust the pegs? Otherwise, get them on their own and forget the adjuster.
From what i read on these here, the sagging is the pegs getting bent.
The reason i'm thinking Yoshi Pegs is because they use the oem springs (the cheap ebays one do too, but people are saying they are a tight fit)..and the yoshi's looks more sturdy and more like the orginal design, so hoping that keeps its from sagging. Although I could be completely wrong.

Ebay cheapies;

Yoshi's;

Anyway,I'll look at those other stores (although being from Australia its difficult to find one that posts out here, for a price less then cost of a new bike!

Thanks for your input!

CtThunder - I'm newer then you and this is my first bike (apart from riding my mates Fzr250), the position isn't necessary uncomfortable so far, but the adjusters ain't too expensive of a mod, so I wouldn't mind testing it out to see if there are more comfortable positions for me.