ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 13th, 2016, 05:24 PM   #1
Gold dust
Gold dust

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki ninja 250

Idle problem

Hi everyone so I really need some help I have recently bought a 2008 ninja 250 the other day I was riding it and everything seemed fine I came up to a red light and it died just out of nowhere I couldn't get it to start again for over an hour when it did finally start and I twisted the throttle it would stick at 4000rpm this is happening every time it gets to 4000rmp it sticks some times it takes 10 to 15 seconds to return to idle and some times I have to turn the bike off because it won't go back down to idle also I noticed only 1 header was getting hot and the other one was kind of warm so before I take it to the shop and have it looked at does anyone have any ideas what this could be also the carbs were cleaned and I checked the throttle cable. Also the dealership that I got the bike from was working on the shims would that have anything to do with it ????? Also wondering could this be a ignition coil problem or a cdi box problem ???
Gold dust is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2016, 07:51 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold dust View Post
Hi everyone so I really need some help I have recently bought a 2008 ninja 250...........
Welcome, Rob !!!

Relax, you are over-thinking the problem.

The sudden stop seems to be a fuel starvation problem.
First thing to verify is the supply of fuel into the carbs.
The filters must be clean and the tank's cap must allow some air to replace the consumed fuel.

The sparks and the carburetors may have some problems, but we will work on those after you verify that fuel freely flows all the way down during a whole trip.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2016, 08:02 PM   #3
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Was the gas low at the time?

You could have drawn in some condensation or possibly debris from the tank that's now stuck in one of the carbs. Draining the floatbowls will tell you if you have either in the system.

I personally always drain the tank completely and fill with fresh gas before moving on to any serious troubleshooting.

Also check the condition of the air filter. The hanging idle symptom also suggests a vacuum leak or something hanging-up in the carbs.

If someone worked on I would take it back to them.

Riding it if the RPMs stick at 4000 is dangerous.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 14th, 2016, 03:58 AM   #4
Gold dust
Gold dust

As far as I know it's getting fuel the bike runs and idles fine both bowls have gas in them I turned both the fuel screws under the carb and both had gas come out so I can only assume both carbs are getting gas the problem is when you turn the throttle it's hanging at 4000rpm and not going down or taking 10 to 15 seconds to return to idle also one time the rpm was jumping all over the place

Old June 14th, 2016, 06:52 AM   #5
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
If you got it from a dealer, or paid someone to work on the carbs recently, I would take it back to them.

Old June 14th, 2016, 07:04 AM   #6
Gold dust
Gold dust

The work was being done on the bike as I was buying it this was back in March my warranty is up they only gave me a 30 warranty so even if I take it back I'll have to pay for it not only that I don't trust this place to work on my bike as I have found numerous things with the bike since I got it from them like wrong spark plugs in the bike black oil the dirtiest air filter I've ever seen so bad that I put a used one in to hold me over till I got a new one like you would think this stuff would have all been taken care of before they sold me the bike so this makes me wonder if they even knew what they are even doing and has me worried they did the work properly

Old June 14th, 2016, 07:49 AM   #7
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Get a new air filter before going much further.

Check around the intake boots for loose clamps, then spray some cleaner around the boots and clamps to look for a vacuum leak.

If that's OK, I would drain the tank and floatbowls completely and refilling with fresh 87 octane.

When you drain the floatbowls it will take some cranking to get the petcock to flow fuel, so make sure the battery is fully charged.

A discharged battery can give you strange running problems also, so I would check it now as it sits. You should get 12.7V or more if it's fully charged.

Old June 14th, 2016, 09:19 AM   #8
Gold dust
Gold dust

The battery is good we tested it has new air filter and spark plugs and the gas is new in the tank the only thing I haven't done is check for air leaks I'll do that next

Old June 14th, 2016, 09:22 AM   #9
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
New air filter? Or new used air filter? 2 hours ago you said it had a used air filter in it and now you say it's a new one....

If it still has issues with the RPM's increasing when you turn the bars, it's a cable issue. You never said if you dealt with that or not......

You need to take the seat and the tank off and check the routing.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2016, 09:35 AM   #10
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
New air filter? Or new used air filter? 2 hours ago you said it had a used air filter in it and now you say it's a new one....

If it still has issues with the RPM's increasing when you turn the bars, it's a cable issue. You never said if you dealt with that or not......

You need to take the seat and the tank off and check the routing.
I must have missed that part.

That would definitely suggest a cable routing issue and not a vacuum leak.

Old June 14th, 2016, 09:38 AM   #11
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
I must have missed that part.

That would definitely suggest a cable routing issue and not a vacuum leak.
Hmmm...might have mixed this and another thread up. I can't seem to find it either.

Oopsie.

I'd still check the cable routing and cable to carb connections though.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2016, 10:13 AM   #12
Gold dust
Gold dust

It had a very dirty air filter in it so bad I used my cousins old one because it was cleaner then the one in it I have since replaced that one with a brand new air filter proir to my idle problem

Old June 14th, 2016, 10:58 AM   #13
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
As far as I know it's getting fuel the bike runs and idles fine both bowls have gas in them I turned both the fuel screws under the carb and both had gas come out so I can only assume both carbs are getting gas the problem is when you turn the throttle it's hanging at 4000rpm and not going down or taking 10 to 15 seconds to return to idle also one time the rpm was jumping all over the place
That is why I asked you to check at the end of a long trip or when it dies again.
If the cap is not venting properly or the mesh filters are partially clogged up, less and less fuel can flow down, reducing the level of fuel in the bowls and making the mix too lean to keep a proper idle.

Your engine needs a steady supply of at least 1.7 c.c. of fuel per second.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 18th, 2016, 11:48 AM   #14
Gold dust
Gold dust

So it ended up being a blown valve :-(

Old June 20th, 2016, 04:17 AM   #15
juliusmichaelhonrada
ninjette.org guru

Name: Julius Michael

Motorcycle(s): GPX250-RII

Quote:
So it ended up being a blown valve :-(
I have this exact same symptoms except that my bike is a 1988 ninja 250, sometimes when i rev up to 13k , the rpm would stay in 3k instead of 1.5k that is preset , then sometimes it wont idle at all and would just die slowly after i revved it high so i have to catch the throttle .

Well i can tell now that my problem is not the carb or vacuum leaks or the cable , my valves are not shot , but the clearance are way way way out of spec i know because i checked it when i adjusted the timing but have no feeler gauge at that time and it gets worse as the bike gets hot which the valve expands and if its too tight i actually get no clearance at all and the bike will die and wont start
juliusmichaelhonrada is offline   Reply With Quote