@NinjaVanish
@ninjazeus
@triptronix
@rabies
@Dark Wolf
@GroundPilot
@bengry
@shiftyninja

You guys only have a week before the price goes up $120. Let us know yes or no.

Old March 24th, 2013, 04:28 PM   #43
Red250R
ninjette.org guru

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

So the video for the install, is it very similar to the install for a newgen? I know n4wmd said that "he doesn't know for a fact". I'm rushing to do all my research on this install before the end of the month seeing as i just found this GB the other day. I want to possibly get my order in before it ends. Trying to read through everything to understand what needs to be done to get this EFI to work. Any help to simplify what the DIY explains would be greatly appreciated via PM. I'm trying to understand it lol I am mechanically inclined, I've just never messed with any FI system personally. I've also never wanted to tackle adjusting the valves although it never seemed too difficult. The DIY always seemed like it was too in depth for me. As for the welding of the bungs, i can do that myself. I have all the equipment in the garage along with my own know-how for that. I plan on removing the airbox once i pull the bike out so i'll already have the extra space in there.

I know i tossed around a lot of topics/questions in there, but i myself am multitasking between several things and i'm forgetting my own train of thought lol
Red250R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #44
Red250R
ninjette.org guru

Ignore my previous post. After watching the video a collective amount of two times lol I'm positive I can do the install. No problem whatsoever. Now onto my real concern. After the install. Tuning the ecu to work with removed air box, aftermarket parts, etc. I'm reading as much into that as possible. Once I have that more nailed down in my head, I'll make a decision as to whether I want to plunge into this project or not. Once again, any help to simplify it in my head, PM's would be greatly appreciated. Only reason I'm concluding my research tonight is because I'm on my way into work. I'll continue more in the morning.

Old March 24th, 2013, 07:06 PM   #45
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red250R View Post
Ignore my previous post. After watching the video a collective amount of two times lol I'm positive I can do the install.
Good. It's simple really. The trick is understanding what each part does and it's important to have a good feel for what the bike is telling you about its fueling based on how it rides. You're mechanically inclined, so you should be just fine with that, but that was the hardest thing for me; wrapping my head around the variables.

I have data tables available to help get people started with tuning. Everyone in this GB is more than welcome to test them out. This weekend I hope to get a better warm-up map figured out since I'll be home for easter break and will be able to tinker. As I've said in other posts, my goal is to improve the maps enough that an average joe can do the physical install, then update with my maps and be that much closer to a great running bike.

Anyhow, yes the install is simple. Do the valves. They're not hard either They just take time.

FWIW, I will be re-installing my air box because I'm not sold on the pod filter. I also don't like the excess noise.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2013, 08:27 PM   #46
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Ignore my previous post. After watching the video a collective amount of two times lol I'm positive I can do the install. No problem whatsoever. Now onto my real concern. After the install. Tuning the ecu to work with removed air box, aftermarket parts, etc.
As far as the physical install, I just don't know the differences, but I suspect that a good bit of them are with the airbox. I don't know if its harder to deal with or easier than the pregen.

So far I have done no tuning on my install. I expect that to change soon, but it was pretty much ride ready as soon as I reinstalled the last bolt.

Regarding the valve adjustment, I do know for a fact that it is MUCH harder to do on a newgen. With the pregen, you only have to pop the valve cover and turn a few screws. With the newgen, you have to remove the cams and play with shims.

Old March 24th, 2013, 08:33 PM   #47
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Removing cams is easy-peasy. It just takes some balls to do the first time because it looks so intimidating.

But that is neither here nor there, that is for another thread.

Old March 24th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #48
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Removing cams is easy-peasy. It just takes some balls to do the first time because it looks so intimidating.

But that is neither here nor there, that is for another thread.
My understanding is that it is a trial and error process in that you take it all apart, guess at the right shims, put it all back together and test it. If you guessed right on all 8 valves, then hooray. But if not, you get to do it all over again.

Old March 24th, 2013, 08:44 PM   #49
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
No, there's some math involved to get it right.

Old March 24th, 2013, 10:23 PM   #50
Red250R
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
FWIW, I will be re-installing my air box because I'm not sold on the pod filter. I also don't like the excess noise.
Well I basically have a straight pipe on my bike right now so as far as noise goes, it really doesn't bother me when I put my helmet on. I will be switching exhaust this year tho. Apparently the popular consensus for full exhausts are pointed towards the Area-P 18" quiet core. That'll quiet it down a lot comparitively speaking. So me pulling the air box out afterwards will still be quieter than what I have now. As far as tuning after this EFI kit, seems like I'll be making some minor adjustments not only because of the exhaust but because of the no air box/pod filter.

As far as whether or not I want to purchase this kit, I see nothing but positive remarks on it and there's no better time to purchase it other than now to save some money. Tally me up. I'll drop the deposit when I get home in the AM. Thanks guys. Be expecting to help me once this comes in and needs tuning lol

Old March 25th, 2013, 06:01 AM   #51
Red250R
ninjette.org guru

Just sent in my $15 for the deposit

Old March 25th, 2013, 06:31 AM   #52
triptronix
ninjette.org member

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE

I’m a maybe, I was intending to trade in for the 300 but I may keep the 250 and convert it to EFI. The only problem I am seeing is with the O2 sensor install. I know I must have posted something on the same lines before about this, but can I run the EFI kit without the O2 sensor installed?

To make matter worse I'm not really confident on attempting the project on my own

I will let you if I am in by Wednesday of this week

Thanks
triptronix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2013, 06:38 AM   #53
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
As far as tuning after this EFI kit, seems like I'll be making some minor adjustments not only because of the exhaust but because of the no air box/pod filter.
The changes won't be specific to the pod filter or exhaust. The system learns what it needs to do for whatever your setup is. That's what learning mode is for. Read up on the tuning guide from ecotrons so you know how everything works. The changes I've made to maps are applicable to all users who have put their bike in learning mode long enough to get to the same level I'm on.

The only change that's specific to your setup is the warm-up enrichment because that period is during open loop mode. Again, I've got some maps up that are different from the supplied map by small increments to try and help people get that much closer to a nice warm-up enrichment period.

I'm running a pod filter and full exhaust on my EFI kit, and the reason I'm not sold on the pod filter is that EFI is a very precise thing. It needs a consistent amount of cool clean air. Pod filters supply tons of turbulent hot air from right behind the engine. That might be fine for carbs which just dump fuel in, but that doesn't work for an FI system that's trying for a very precise mixture. That's why I'm going to the air box. The noise is just a minor annoyance.

Congrats on choosing the quiet core. That's a fantastic exhaust. I wish I had gotten that instead of my Muzzy. Area P makes fantastic products.

Old March 25th, 2013, 07:05 AM   #54
n4mwd

Quote:
Just sent in my $15 for the deposit
I added you to the list in the first post. If 3 more people buy in, then we save $30 more - total $150 each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triptronix View Post
I’m a maybe, I was intending to trade in for the 300 but I may keep the 250 and convert it to EFI. The only problem I am seeing is with the O2 sensor install. I know I must have posted something on the same lines before about this, but can I run the EFI kit without the O2 sensor installed?

To make matter worse I'm not really confident on attempting the project on my own

I will let you if I am in by Wednesday of this week

Thanks
You should look at the video in post #1 and see if you think you can handle it.

The kit will definitely run without the O2 sensors, but not as good as with them. If there is any kind of programming problem, then you have to manually adjust your variables. With O2 sensors, it figures it out by itself.

In my install (see video) there was a flat spot around 7K. In rich mode (which doesn't use the O2 sensors) it just stayed there. In ECO mode (which does use the sensors) the flat spot just magically ironed itself out and is no longer a problem. I could have done it manually by playing with the variables, but its a lot easier in the long run to just weld on the bungs.

If you don't have access to your own welder, then its best to take it to a welder shop and let them do it for you. If you have everything prepped and ready to weld, then they shouldn't charge too much. The holes should be drilled before you weld them.

I recommend doing the install in three stages.
1) Bungs
2) Throttle body module
3) Final assembly and wiring

That way your bike isn't down for extended periods. But if you are a fast worker, there is nothing saying you can't do all that in one day or weekend.

The group buy goes till the 31st. After that, if you get one, its $120 more.

Old March 25th, 2013, 07:57 AM   #55
Red250R
ninjette.org guru

Alright thanks choneofakind. That post actually cleared up a lot. I understand the learn mode and all that now. I suppose I'll keep the air box in then as well. Makes more sense to. At least for now that is. And the "warm up enrichment period" that you speak of is the part that is different in every bike correct? It varies with several different factors. So writing up several different MAPs that vary in small increments for us to load onto our ecu that will change the programming will help adjunct the FI to run the bike smoothly lol I got it now. Fairly simple when broken down into pieces like this.

Old March 25th, 2013, 11:12 AM   #56
thejaredhuang
ninjette.org member

Name: Jared

Motorcycle(s): none yet

Matt said JackFrost1919 has joined, don't know if he's on the forum.
thejaredhuang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2013, 11:29 AM   #57
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang View Post
Is that the same as Red250R or is that a new guy?

JackFrost1919 is not a user here.

Old March 25th, 2013, 01:54 PM   #58
Red250R
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Embarrassing but yes that's me lol my Paypal is still attached to my old email address and I never changed it because it never made a difference to me. Still have it connected with my iPhone.

Old March 27th, 2013, 06:52 AM   #59
n4mwd

Time is running out. We still need three more buyers by Monday the 31st to get the $450 price.

The non-group buy price is $600.

Old March 27th, 2013, 01:42 PM   #60
drphils87
ninjette.org member

Name: Phil

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ninja 250R more awesome SE

Oh well $30 no big deal. Isn't the 31st this Sunday? So which state and what postal service is the kit shipping from?
drphils87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2013, 01:48 PM   #61
n4mwd

Sorry about that, you're right. I looked at the calendar wrong. Its this Easter Sunday, March 31st. Till midnight anyway.

Old March 28th, 2013, 06:41 PM   #62
thejaredhuang
ninjette.org member

Shipping from

Usps priority, Michigan.

Old March 30th, 2013, 09:39 PM   #63
drphils87
ninjette.org member

So I have enough money to pay for my kit as soon as the month is over, but I have barely enough. (thanks to some BS that happened) I figured I'd have my tax return by now. I don't know about any of you people, buy I feel very on edge when I have less than a hundred dollars to my name. I get paid on Thursday of next week and would appreciate everybody's patience.

Old March 31st, 2013, 12:13 AM   #64
thejaredhuang
ninjette.org member

I'm sure you can bring that up with Matt. I think Matt will ship as soon as he's paid individually.

matt@ecotrons.com

Old March 31st, 2013, 04:19 AM   #65
n4mwd

Technically, the group buy isn't over until midnight tonight so it will probably be a few days before Matt sends out the paypal invoices. If you can pay on Thursday, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Old March 31st, 2013, 10:27 PM   #66
drphils87
ninjette.org member

Well he already sent the invoice like an hour before midnight, so I guess I'm just going to send him an email explaining my situation. I hope it doesn't interfer with anybody else.

Old April 1st, 2013, 12:03 AM   #67
thejaredhuang
ninjette.org member

Invoices have been sent to the group buyers. 6 of them.

I notice there is still another guy want to join. If he can put
deposit $15, and pay the invoice in one week. It can still count as
part of the GB.

thx, Matt

I'm sure he's willing to wait a few days.

Old April 1st, 2013, 06:05 AM   #68
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by drphils87 View Post
Well he already sent the invoice like an hour before midnight, so I guess I'm just going to send him an email explaining my situation. I hope it doesn't interfer with anybody else.
It was probably a time zone thing. Looks like Matt is giving everyone a week to pay so you should do all right.

The last guy to express interest was @triptronix, but he never got back to the group.

Old April 1st, 2013, 01:29 PM   #69
thejaredhuang
ninjette.org member

Don't forget to specify your engine year when you pay.

Old April 1st, 2013, 01:45 PM   #70
n4mwd

I think you mean model year. I think all the newgens are the same, but there are some differences in wiring and valve timing with some of the older pregens.

Old April 1st, 2013, 05:06 PM   #71
Red250R
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Don't forget to specify your engine year when you pay.
Ah ****. I forgot to specify. I have the JackFrost1919 email. I paid like an hour after the invoice was sent out or close to it. I received the email on my break at 1am est. Nonetheless, I have a 2008.

Old April 1st, 2013, 07:07 PM   #72
n4mwd

Quote:
Ah ****. I forgot to specify. I have the JackFrost1919 email. I paid like an hour after the invoice was sent out or close to it. I received the email on my break at 1am est. Nonetheless, I have a 2008.
Make sure you email info@ecotrons.com and tell him which bike you have.

Old April 1st, 2013, 07:20 PM   #73
Red250R
ninjette.org guru

Alrighty, just did. Didn't even think about it during checkout. 1am isn't my strong point lol especially at work

Old April 3rd, 2013, 10:19 PM   #74
drphils87
ninjette.org member

Is there a special place to leave a message to the seller while paying or do I just send an email like he did. btw that email address didn't work when I tried to contact Matt. Since I'm paying tomorrow I guess there is no point to try a shoot him another one, unless that is how I'm telling him what bike I have.

Old April 4th, 2013, 12:03 AM   #75
thejaredhuang
ninjette.org member

Sorry correct email is info@ecotrons.com

I just emailed Matt from the email I used to pay and told him the year.

Old April 5th, 2013, 01:05 PM   #76
Red250R
ninjette.org guru

so sexy...

thank you very very much

Old April 5th, 2013, 01:08 PM   #77
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Looks good. My suggestion is to use better fuel hose and some of those EFI clamps instead of worm clamps. How you install it is up to you. But I know the blue and clear hose will turn funny colors and get really hard. Also, n4mwd convinced me on those EFI clamps, and they're definitely better for applying consistent pressure the whole way around a connection.

Old April 5th, 2013, 01:09 PM   #78
Red250R
ninjette.org guru

look to the left of the oil. you'll see some of the clamps/other pieces that i bought already lol

Old April 5th, 2013, 01:11 PM   #79
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Derp. I didn't see that. Bueno

Let us know how it goes. Make sure everything is in the right place and take your time on install. It shouldn't be too terrible.

Old April 5th, 2013, 01:13 PM   #80
Red250R
ninjette.org guru

yeah definitely taking my time. i have plenty now because i just pulled the bike out of the shed today and the front tire is worse than i thought. the rear tire definitely has another summer left in it. Need a new front tho before i should actually go out riding.