ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 8th, 2014, 11:21 PM   #1
Triple R
ninjette.org member

Name: D.Doan

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki's

R6 Shock?

Has anyone tried or had luck with a 06+ R6 shock on the 08+ 250?
Triple R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2014, 05:51 AM   #2
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
don't know many details but off the bat I don't think the bikes use the same lower linkage mount. I think the R6 is the type that goes inbetween the linkage and not the "U" shaped type that the 250 and gsxr shocks use. So that being said you would have to do a lot of additional swapping ect... to make it work and why?

GSXR shock for $25 on ebay, it is as easy as buying some bolts and drilling a few holes, don't make it harder than it has to be IMO

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 9th, 2014, 09:21 AM   #3
Triple R
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
don't know many details but off the bat I don't think the bikes use the same lower linkage mount. I think the R6 is the type that goes inbetween the linkage and not the "U" shaped type that the 250 and gsxr shocks use. So that being said you would have to do a lot of additional swapping ect... to make it work and why?

GSXR shock for $25 on ebay, it is as easy as buying some bolts and drilling a few holes, don't make it harder than it has to be IMO
I hear what you're saying. I have a R6 shock here and would attempt the swap if anyone had positive results. Looks like I'm going the GSXR route. Curious, does anyone make/sell a "clevis" for the gsxr shock to compensate for the shorter length of the shock? I swear I saw something like that on here not to long ago.

Thanks for the help!

Old July 9th, 2014, 10:06 AM   #4
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
you want shorter dog bones. You can make your own out of steel or T6 or fork out some cash and buy some. Burkhart cycles or something like that sells them specifically for the gsxr shock swap and a reasonable price.

see here (just don't expect any contact from him or to get it on short notice) but you will get them

http://burkhartcycle.com/store/index...dex&cPath=7_34

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2014, 10:10 AM   #5
Triple R
ninjette.org member

I would go that route but the class I'm racing in doesn't allow aftermarket dog bones unfortunately.

Old July 9th, 2014, 11:22 AM   #6
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple R View Post
I would go that route but the class I'm racing in doesn't allow aftermarket dog bones unfortunately.
So you can install a completely different shock that alters everything about the suspension, but you can't install a couple metal spacers to adjust the suspension back closer to stock alignment?

Some racing rules are so stupid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceofWill View Post
So the +1.25 look right at 156mm middle of eye to eye and the +1 look like 158.5mm to me.
FYI, the 39111-1133 dogbones used on the Gen2 EX500 are 157.5mm eye to eye. A lot of EX500 owners buy shorter dogbones from FOG to raise the rear end for quicker steering (similar to the topic of this thread), so you might be able to find some for cheap/free (though $17 still isn't bad). Both the 250 and 500 use the same sleeves through the knuckle and swingarm, but the 500 uses 100mm long bolts (92002-1886) while the 250's are 98mm (92153-1831), so the 500 dogbones might possibly be a bit thicker or something.
Does OEM for a slightly different bike count as aftermarket? Would they even be able to tell (if your own ethics allow you to do this)?

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2014, 11:24 AM   #7
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i use an R1 shock and knuckle with custom bones. the r6 shock is the same but the knuckle is different. i think you gotta use the r1 knuck.

Old July 9th, 2014, 11:25 AM   #8
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
So you can install a completely different shock that alters everything about the suspension, but you can't install a couple metal spacers to adjust the suspension back closer to stock alignment?

Does OEM for a slightly different bike count as aftermarket? Would they even be able to tell (if your own ethics allow you to do this)?
the idea is that if you have to replace the shock with a "drop-in" then people will likely get an aftermarket kit made for the bike so that a "real engineer" produced the design instead of some knucklehead just trying to slap on whatever fits.

Old July 9th, 2014, 11:26 AM   #9
Triple R
ninjette.org member

Quote:

I agree it's stupid but I have to follow them. Granted I probably wont podium or even place top 10 but I just want to be legit. If you guys can recall the guy making the "clevis" type top mount please let me know!

Old July 9th, 2014, 11:54 AM   #10
tuscani451
ninjette.org member

Name: leif

Motorcycle(s): R6, Kawi 250

I think one of the CVMA guys said a R6+SV dogbones works?
tuscani451 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2014, 12:10 PM   #11
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscani451 View Post
I think one of the CVMA guys said a R6+SV dogbones works?
the yamaha shocks have a bearing at the bottom instead of the way suzuki/kawi do it with the bottom of the shock having a square mount that fits over the shock knuckle which has a bearing in it. so if you want to go to the yamaha shock you have to change the knuckle to the r1-style knuckle