ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old May 7th, 2009, 07:46 AM   #1
Realirony
That New Kid

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja250R

Tats

Yea thats not a mis-spell. I checked all over the forum and didnt find any other threads so hopefully this is the first one.
I am going in this weekend to meet with my artist who has spent the past week free-handing a tat I'm getting across my back/shoulder and it has special meaning to me (I always felt that if I was going to brand my body it would be for a deeper meaning). What I want to ask is who here has a tattoo, do you have pics of it? What were your thoughts going in (I know I'm excited but I also know that the day of, I'm going to be nervous). I'm not scared of the pain, a few hours (6 probably) of pain is a fine price to pay for an exquisite piece of art on my body that has sentimental meaning to me. Besides, one of the rules is, if you have to ask how much it hurts, you dont need to get one in the first place. Also, where do you all have a tat if you do have one and does the tattoo have special meaning to you in any way, or was it just "hey that looks nice, ill get that" I know some of my marine buddies have tats denoting their unit or their country. Some other people in the world have tats that denote tribal affiliation or to commemorate life passages or victories. I also know that some people (maybe even some of you) dont think its correct to brand one's body, and thats fine, I appreciate all opinions =)
I suppose what I want to get across is those here that have tattoos, why did you get it, what is it, where is it, and what does it mean to you. If i get some positive feedback from this I'll try to post pics up of it once I have it done (if anyone even cares XD) its supposedly going to be a sizable piece (about the size of a standard sheet of paper). I cant wait to hear other's stories, I like hearing about other peoples life decisions, I learn from it.

Old May 7th, 2009, 07:52 AM   #2
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I do not have ant tats nor is a tat for me at this stage in my life. Perhaps if I had something significan't in my life happen I just might do it.
With that being said I have no problem with people doing it. It is a form of personal expression and shows pride in something they belive in. I say go for it.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2009, 08:12 AM   #3
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

My first rule of tats:

Get it in a place that is easy to hide. So if you need to maintain a "professional" look, it is easily managed.

I got mine in Spain when I visited there. So it has a lot of meaning to me. Reminding me of my party days, the days before I really developed a lot of responsibility. I saw it and it was the ONLY one in the whole shop that I liked. I wanted something to remember the trip I took over there, and what better way than a tat!

The tat isn't exactly centered, but that is before I started "filling out". I got it back when I was at about 140lbs, nearly 6ft. Now I weigh in at 175, so that may have something to do with it being off centered. (now that I look at it, it is because my arm is close to my body, pull my arm away, and it is more centered) Here is a cell phone pic of my tat:

And yes, I'm well aware of my tan lines caused by t-shirts.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2009, 08:23 AM   #4
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

I have one!

I have it in the small of my back (yes yes a tramp stamp). I couldn't tell you to much about the experience except that I sat down on the table, the gave me a yoga ball to lean on. He did the outline which numbed up everything. Took a break, sat back down... And I think I fell asleep/passed out.

Why I choose it.. It was a gift from my BF and he said I can either A) get his name *pfft! hell no that is like a death sentence!* Or I can get this other design he had put a lot of thought into... And for Phil that is a great deal. My name is Sunshine (hince how I get Sunny, and no my parents though they did grow up in the hippie era it is Native American Indian and I am named after my Granny). Growing up I always watched the Carebears and there is Funshine Bear. The yellow bear with the sun in his tummy. Well Phil's idea was to take that bear, chillin on a cloud and put it with the sun around it. How could I say no!?

This is the only picture of my tat in existance...It is kind of hard to see. He is on the cloud and he is blowing a kiss out..

I'll have to see if Phil will take another one.. O.o

Old May 7th, 2009, 08:37 AM   #5
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

i've got 2 half sleeves and a little one on my ribs. i was always nervous going in, and thats normal.

what was weird is how much getting tattoo'd would drain me. i would be exhausted after a 3 hour session. go home, take a hot shower to clean it up and pass out.

my first tat is hawaiian themed half sleeve that i got to remember my family and the good times i've had in hawaii. my second is another half sleeve thats a 50's style texas space ranger chick... cause i like that style, i wanted a pinup style girl, and i live in texas.

i have to admit that neither one came out exactly like what i wanted, but they're bot nice pieces of art, they mean a lot to me, and they're well done... no regrets, but your style and your opinions change over time. i'd get something a little different now if i had to do them over again.

Old May 7th, 2009, 08:50 AM   #6
Realirony
That New Kid

Yea the one I'm getting is more of a family orientated piece, I have been wanting to get it since I was about 18 or so, but I couldnt fund it and wasnt prepared. Now that I am able to fund it I did alot of research on the artists in my area and the guy I chose was because he is an actual artist when not tattoo-ing and he also builds the tattoo machines that he uses, so I figure this guy knows whats up.
The piece I'm getting is going to be a six-winged angel (seraph) with a flock (prolly 2 or 3) of ravens either on or around her. I chose that because a seraph is supposed to be this beautiful thing that is so passionate that they are burning literally and no one can look at them because they would go blind at the sight. The ravens are my family (my family name is suppose to translate into "those from the hills of Ravens") So in a sort of cheesy, pretty, poetic kind of way it means my passion to my family, and their closeness to me.
Typing that out it sounds kinda dumb, but the artist seemed stoked as all about it(said that people get the cliche angel, but no one ever wanted what I asked of him). I just have no idea what I'm going to do for 6 hours, I mean yea I can talk to him. But maybe he'll let me read or something? XD I just had to throw this thread up because I wanted to hear other peoples stories behind their tats. Its always been this sort of surreal thing to me to see other people inked and to hear why. heh, ok...back to work for me >.> so far I like the stories! I didnt know that about your name, sunny, sweet ^^

Old May 7th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #7
Broom
Track Junkie

yeah, you can read. bring some magazines or something. you'll do a lot of finding a spot on the wall and starring at it. kind of a zen moment. you zone out on that spot and try to take your mind off the pain.

i've never done more than 3 or 4 hours at a time. it gets rough after that. if i was you i'd split it up into 2 sessions.

Old May 7th, 2009, 09:30 AM   #8
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Tats are hot, but only if they have a special meaning and can be concealed. Not alot of fun in having a naked lady shown all across your arms and face. It's kinda like a secret that only you know about. Been thinking of getting one....
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2009, 09:33 AM   #9
Snake

Also if they are hidden you can reveak them to that special someone at that special time.

Old May 7th, 2009, 09:33 AM   #10
Snake

What are you thinking of gettin?

Old May 7th, 2009, 09:36 AM   #11
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Me or Matthew, Rick?

Old May 7th, 2009, 09:36 AM   #12
Snake

Sorry, you Corey Beth.

Old May 7th, 2009, 09:38 AM   #13
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

"Drug of Choice" on the back of my neck.

Lot's of sentimental meaning.

Old May 7th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #14
Snake

Sounds very cool.

Old May 7th, 2009, 11:43 AM   #15
xTKx
Finally!

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 09 Red 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realirony View Post
...The piece I'm getting is going to be a six-winged angel (seraph) with a flock (prolly 2 or 3) of ravens either on or around her. I chose that because a seraph is supposed to be this beautiful thing that is so passionate that they are burning literally and no one can look at them because they would go blind at the sight. The ravens are my family (my family name is suppose to translate into "those from the hills of Ravens") So in a sort of cheesy, pretty, poetic kind of way it means my passion to my family, and their closeness to me....
Typing that out it sounds kinda dumb, but the artist seemed stoked as all about it(said that people get the cliche angel, but no one ever wanted what I asked of him)...
That piece sounds sick man! You'll have to post a pic once it's done! Don't feel shy/embarrased of your idea, that's what makes a tattoo unique...that's it's something you thought of!

As for myself, I've got three (all of which reflect my personal faith). The only one that's not original, at the moment, is my calf tattoo which says "Hell hath no fury at all" taken from a Christian rock band. However, I do have an idea for a sleeve that'll make it unique.
Another is on the bottom part of my forearm. It says "Romans 5:5" and has a free-handed dove drawn (yes, it is a "masculine" dove, not a girly one) This was a matching tat I got with my wife last year for her 21st.
My other one wraps around my left arm. I've got a shaded shield/helmet on the back of my arm and Psalm 144:1 in Greek that wraps around. This one I got as my first when I turned 18.

The pain's not all that bad. In fact, if you're getting a larger piece, it will probably be a "stinging numbness" after a while. Have fun man!

Old May 7th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #16
talldrink
ninjette.org guru

Name: Deb

Motorcycle(s): '09 ninja 250 (blue)

One of my tats (haaaaaaaaa.......just an aside - as I was typing in "tats", I mistakenly put in an additional "a" and wrote "tatas". what a riot THAT would have been!!!)

Anyway.....this particular tat has special meaning for me as it (initially) symbolized my husband and myself so I got it done the Monday after his funeral. However, over the years, it has also become a symbol of my two children and the love I have for them as well.

I also have a "tramp stamp". It is the yin/yang symbol (black/red).

biker_sis_2.jpg

Old May 7th, 2009, 12:01 PM   #17
Snake

^^^^^^^^Yes Talldrink that would have been hillarious. Can you imagine the posts you would have got back from that? In New Orleans they like to say: "Show me your tatas".

Seriously that is a very special tat.

Old May 7th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #18
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

( as a side note they have breast cancer awareness shirts that say "Save the Tatas" I have one )

Old May 7th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #19
Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTyke View Post
( as a side note they have breast cancer awareness shirts that say "Save the Tatas" I have one )
I'll bet you get some looks when you were the shirt.

Last futzed with by Snake; May 7th, 2009 at 05:03 PM.

Old May 7th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #20
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

They have those "Save the Tatas" bumper stickers. Our local BMW dealer gives them out all the time. They are a sponsor of the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. What a great organization.

Old May 7th, 2009, 12:30 PM   #21
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

Ive been wanting to get a jolly roger type tattoo except instead of crossbones its two pistons crossed and the skull is in a helmet.
Daeldren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2009, 12:31 PM   #22
Snake

Now that would be a cool looking tat.

Old May 7th, 2009, 12:42 PM   #23
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuriel View Post
I'll bwt you get some looks when you were the shirt.

Heck yeah! People look at me to talk to me then note the shirt (don't ask me why) then they giggle and say they like the shirt... Once I accidently wore it into a Catholic Highschool ....

Now...

Old May 7th, 2009, 12:49 PM   #24
talldrink
ninjette.org guru

Name: Deb

Motorcycle(s): '09 ninja 250 (blue)

I'd like to get another tat. Here's my idea:

I'd like to get a tat that actually looks like a label (stitching around the perimeter and all) (at the bottom of my neck - where an actual label in a tshirt would be) and I'd like for it to have a Nike swoosh. (One of the mottos I try to live by is just do it so............thought that would be apropo).

Whaddya think????

Last futzed with by talldrink; May 7th, 2009 at 12:50 PM. Reason: typo
talldrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2009, 12:50 PM   #25
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tin

Motorcycle(s): 08 black 250r (sold); '09 black zx6r

I got 2.
1 on my arm and 1 on my back.
Definitely put it where you can hide it.

DSCF0347.jpg

DSCF0352.jpg
tinng321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2009, 12:50 PM   #26
Broom
Track Junkie

my tattoos go almost to my elbows. when i first got them i kind of saw them as an automatic filter... if someone is going to judge me because i have tattoos sticking out of my shirt, then i probably don't want much to do with them anyways. i don't appreciate close-minded people and would rather not deal with them.

i really haven't had any problems. i'm a smart guy, and i understand there are some times that a long sleeve shirt is a good idea... like when you meet a girls parents for the first time, job interviews... etc. Having tattoos now isn't the same as 10 or 20 years ago. i think as long as you keep them off your face, neck and hands you're good.

I've even had jobs that have asked me to wear a short sleeve shirt on occasion just to impress clients.

Old May 7th, 2009, 12:55 PM   #27
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broom View Post
my tattoos go almost to my elbows. when i first got them i kind of saw them as an automatic filter... if someone is going to judge me because i have tattoos sticking out of my shirt, then i probably don't want much to do with them anyways. i don't appreciate close-minded people and would rather not deal with them.

i really haven't had any problems. i'm a smart guy, and i understand there are some times that a long sleeve shirt is a good idea... like when you meet a girls parents for the first time, job interviews... etc. Having tattoos now isn't the same as 10 or 20 years ago. i think as long as you keep them off your face, neck and hands you're good.

I've even had jobs that have asked me to wear a short sleeve shirt on occasion just to impress clients.
I totally agree with you.
In today world, tattoos are another forms of art.
Like you said, as long as you keep them off you face, neck and hands.

Old May 7th, 2009, 12:56 PM   #28
camaroz1985

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broom View Post
You stud
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #29
Realirony
That New Kid

Yea, it seems that we have come a long way in that sense. Where I work our supervisor doesnt tell the guy that works next to me to wear turtle-necks because of the Kanji on his neck. So I just assume the world is fine with such things now...or at least most people. Mine will be on my back, so only visible when shirtless or tank-ed. Btw, great pics and stories people. It's keeping me entertained while here at work. But yar, i'll take some during, and after pics if I can get my g/f to take them while im in the chair getting this done

Old May 7th, 2009, 01:11 PM   #30
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

ask her to get one too....

Old May 7th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #31
Realirony
That New Kid

she is. She has 3 already. the usual tramp stamp. a lady bug with "ciao bella" text around it. And she is getting a rib cage piece done by the same artist a week after mine. Its a piece shes been drawing out herself for some time, but like me has been unable to fund it. Its going to be a string of Violets from below her arm-pit to her hip area. Guy said its gonna hurt like hell. We'll see cause im gonna be there with her, I hope my hand will be ok. heh XD

Old May 7th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #32
Broom
Track Junkie

my buddy Oliver Peck doing one of my 13's .... he use to be married to Kat von D when she was on Miami Ink... She's crazy. i've partied with her a few times before she got on the show.

me at work with the coworkers after launching the Skate2 site. kinda gives you an idea how "exposed" they are and what my typical work attire consists of .

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 7th, 2009, 01:56 PM   #33
Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by talldrink View Post
I'd like to get another tat. Here's my idea:

I'd like to get a tat that actually looks like a label (stitching around the perimeter and all) (at the bottom of my neck - where an actual label in a tshirt would be) and I'd like for it to have a Nike swoosh. (One of the mottos I try to live by is just do it so............thought that would be apropo).

Whaddya think????
I think its a great idea. Like a constant reminder to not be afraid but just do it.

Old May 7th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #34
xTKx
Finally!

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 09 Red 250R

Hey Jon, where do you get your work done (the name of the shop)? I'd do a decent drive if it meant great work by cool people. I just haven't been completely won over by anyone in Austin and went to three different shops for my three diff. pieces.
I've got ideas for one more tattoo and to make two of my existing ones sleeves, but I need to find the right place and the right price before I make my decision...

PS: I'm waiting for skate2 to come in the mail from my gamefly...

Old May 7th, 2009, 02:16 PM   #35
Broom
Track Junkie

we were playing the dev version of it before it was released. it was torture keeping it a secret. it loaded slow and had bugs, but it was still fun.

i get my work done at Elm Street Tattoo in Deep Ellum. Its been a few years, but last i was there everyone at the shop was pretty damn good. Oliver Peck and Dean Williams own it and they're two of the best in the business.

my "baby's mama" has tons of tattoos. i'm not sure where she gets them, but she knows of a couple more really good shops in town too. if you're really interested i could ask her about it.

Old May 7th, 2009, 02:17 PM   #36
Broom
Track Junkie

i use to know a couple of good guys down in the killeen area too, but i don't think they're still around

Old May 7th, 2009, 03:10 PM   #37
mcteague
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Yamaha FZ6

Yeah, you love your tats now but check out old people with tattoos. I always ask people who like them if they would wear the same clothes they wore 10-15 years ago. Some basic tribal types can hold up but the multi-color spreads? Ugh!

Tim
mcteague is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #38
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

The Works had one of their shows on the history and technology of tattoos. I think the show has been cancelled, which is a shame, as I enjoyed it. But the tattoo episode was pretty good. There was quite a bit made of some of the newer inks being used which have a much longer life than those used even as recently as 10 - 15 years ago. There are still just a few colors that can fade quite a bit over time, but most of them can actually stay remarkably fresh now for decades.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #39
Realirony
That New Kid

Yea the color aspect is what bothers me about it. I saw in my artist's portfolio an entire back piece he did a la those japanese landscape paintings (the ones that have the scenery exaggerated) and it was alot of color and lines. Prolly gonna be madness when the guy gets older. But the piece on my back I'm getting is gonna be Black and Gray for that purpose, and I figure with it around my shoulder areas wont age too too badly. Either way, Jon you have some amazing looking tattoos on you, and your "BM" too. Looks like where ever you got it done they put their heart into it.
That was another thing that deterred me from another shop, when I pitched my idea to the dude he was all sorts of "yea thats cool, I can do that, another angel tattoo huh? easy enough". I didnt like his attitude towards it, I knew he wouldnt put his all into it and I figured he'd do a crap of a job. This guy I found though has an amazing portfolio and was actually excited as hell about the whole deal so I know he'll actually enjoy doing it and put some soul into the work (which is what artists should do)

Old May 7th, 2009, 05:06 PM   #40
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

If they fade can you not have the touched up?