ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 16th, 2010, 11:46 AM   #1
onetruevibe
Love Rival

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

DIY | Removing Ninja Decals

Hello all,

This probably isn't worthy of a DIY, but I've gained so much from this community, I really wanted to give something back.

This project cost me about $7.00 and 30 minutes (45 if you count the trip to Walmart)

Here are the supplies I used:

- Denatured Alcohol ($7.00)
- Wife's hair dry-thingy
- Rag
- Putty Knife

WARNING - if you decide to use a putty knife for this project, do so at your own risk!!! I used it with no problems, but I imagine if you are not careful you could slip and scratch the fairing.

Removing the Decal

Use the hair dryer to heat up the decal and gently apply pressure with the putty knife until the decal starts to give. Couple tips here:

1. Notice that I used a rasp to round the edges of the putty knife - minimizing the potential for damage if I did slip.
2. Don't "scrape" with the putty knife. Allow the heat to do the work. Apply gentle but consistent pressure with the putty knife until you see/feel the decal begin to give.
3. You can also try pulling the putty knife instead of pushing if you're really concerned about scratches. I use this technique when stripping guitars during a refinish. However, I didn't use this technique here.

Removing the Goo

Goo Gone didn't work out for me, hence the trip to Walmart for the Denatured Alcohol.

I soaked the rag with the alcohol and firmly worked it into the goo with circular motions. I was afraid to rub too hard in fear of re-cracking the fairings, which I repaired with a little J.B. Weld earlier in this summer - so I worked it in good and then hit it again (very lightly) with the putty knife.

Final Cleaning

At this point, I re-loaded the rag with alcohol and wiped off the remaining goo.

That's it. Pretty basic, but I hope someone can benefit from the contribution!

Rock on!
Brian

Old October 17th, 2010, 02:36 AM   #2
Poyter
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

have any pictures of how this looks from further away? looks pretty cool.
Poyter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2010, 08:03 AM   #3
onetruevibe
Love Rival

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Here you go:

However, mine is not a very good sample of this look. The kid I bought my bike off of this summer had dumped it a couple times and busted up an scratched the hell out of both side fairings. I'm going sand them down this winter and repaint them...which is why I took the decals off

if you're interested in this look, check out this thread for better a cleaner example:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...ghlight=decals

Brian

Old October 19th, 2010, 02:39 AM   #4
Poyter
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

ah, didnt see that, thanks brian.
Poyter is offline   Reply With Quote