ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old March 7th, 2011, 09:57 PM   #81
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycy View Post
when i say immigrants, im talking about the indous..mostly..

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #82
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Just barely shy of $4 for the cheap stuff at chevron today. Thanks Libya and friends.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2011, 10:25 PM   #83
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
You guys are still lucky.
Cheap mom and pop station

Technically you can't charge more for debt/credit. I know it is a "no-no" on the merchant agreement contract (because I have one), but I think it may actually be illegal; although there are always ways around that.... like cash discounts, but that isn't what the sign says.

Old March 8th, 2011, 08:59 AM   #84
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

It's an implied cash discount. I'm more worried about the price gouging jumping $.58 from regular to premium.

Old March 8th, 2011, 10:35 AM   #85
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
It's an implied cash discount. I'm more worried about the price gouging jumping $.58 from regular to premium.
That would be what you would argue when you got caught.... but it does in fact look like two distinct prices. Other than contractual/potential legal issues, I would think the word "discount" would be a helpful marketing tool.

I made a purchase the other week over $500, and being a business owner I tried to write a check instead of CC, thinking I was supporting a fellow small business buy helping them avoid CC fees. But of course they didn't take checks (not policy, just didn't know me), so I helped them increase their monthly merchant fees.... believe me, I have thought about adding a "cash discount" (on the heals of a price increase) to cut costs. Merchant fees are confusing and expensive.

Back to the sign - that is a lot of numbers to take in while driving by....

Old March 8th, 2011, 10:45 AM   #86
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Did you guys hear how Obama may tap in to the oil reserve to help lower gas prices?
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #87
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Did you guys hear how Obama may tap in to the oil reserve to help lower gas prices?
I have heard a lot of rhetoric

Old March 8th, 2011, 12:11 PM   #88
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Why bother? He's let us get screwed over for the last 6 months. They're only doing things now because the next election is around the corner.

Old March 8th, 2011, 12:27 PM   #89
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Anyone that thinks the white house can do anything significant in the short-term or even medium-term about oil pricing is fooling themselves. May as well blame them for the weather as well.

The strategic oil reserve, as used to affect the market price of oil, is silly and ultimately ineffective. If it was completely full today, it still only has enough oil to support about 30 days of US consumption. Of course it wouldn't be drained dry, so it would be some much smaller portion for use (1/4? 1/2?), which means we are talking about 5 - 15 days of usage at most.

Putting that amount into the market to try and affect pricing is a blip in the process, and within a few days the price would once again stabilize at whatever the market will bear, with the buyers and sellers agreeing on a sale price. Just like every other day.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old March 8th, 2011, 12:35 PM   #90
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycy View Post
oh and the governement loves to accept immigrants. and those immigrant...they dont work! theyre just sitting on their fkin ass and wait for every months cheque
when i say immigrants, im talking about the indous..mostly..they just make alot of babies..because governement decided to give 5000$ for each baby made

how stupid
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2011, 12:39 PM   #91
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
+1

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2011, 12:44 PM   #92
headshrink

I think he is new here... maybe first an orientation to the culture?

Old March 8th, 2011, 01:25 PM   #93
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Anyone that thinks the white house can do anything significant in the short-term or even medium-term about oil pricing is fooling themselves. May as well blame them for the weather as well.

The strategic oil reserve, as used to affect the market price of oil, is silly and ultimately ineffective. If it was completely full today, it still only has enough oil to support about 30 days of US consumption. Of course it wouldn't be drained dry, so it would be some much smaller portion for use (1/4? 1/2?), which means we are talking about 5 - 15 days of usage at most.

Putting that amount into the market to try and effect pricing is a blip in the process, and within a few days the price would once again stabilize at whatever the market will bear, with the buyers and sellers agreeing on a sale price. Just like every other day.
There is a lot of oil in Alaska that is untapped and will remain so as long as the environmentalists have their say. Until then, OPEC will continue to ream us. The Libyan problems right now is just another excuse for them to jack up prices. Does anyone really expect them to drop prices if the problems in Libya go away? The US government needs to take action of some sort now. Even if it doesn't affect short term prices, it would be nice to see a stabilization. Every week, it's a crap shoot. The prices keep going up, even in good times.

Price of oil is determined by OPEC. Consumers don't really have any say in the matter and the only thing we can do is to consume less fuel to create a larger supply than demand. Since people aren't going to forgo their ski trips or vacations, it's not likely to happen.

Old March 8th, 2011, 01:28 PM   #94
kkim

Just be thankful our ninjettes sips regular... everyone is using regular gas, right?

Old March 8th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #95
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Not when I switch my BRT to the OFF position . In a 4 gallon tank, an extra $.80 cents for a fill up doesn't hurt as much as a 15 gallon fill up.

Old March 8th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #96
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

My diesel truck costs $175 for a fill up. Diesel is up to $4.15 at the pump. Regular gas has gone up to $3.52 a gal. Will be up to $4.50 by Memorial Day. My new bike is also a sipper--55mpg if you take it easy--cruising back roads at 60 to 65mph.

What is killing us is the cost of heating oil this winter. We have a well insulated house and it still hovers around $750 a month. We have no natural gas here in Maine--wood--LPG (Propane) and oil. Wife is allergic to wood smoke and propane is also creeping up. That's the price one pays for beautiful scenery, a low crime rate, and few hurricanes and earthquakes.

Old March 8th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #97
zilaniz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 08 R6

averages about 3.75 for premium in the general philly area. Its all I really pay attention to since I have to fill the car and bike up with premium(wrx and r6)
zilaniz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #98
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Looks like theres a crude sell-off today. Wholesale gas is also selling-off.
Looks like we might get a LITTLE more drop in price in certin spots out there.
$3.44 a gallon here. Wholesale is $2.97 so thats not in line with the price at the pump. (add $.60 cents a gallon to the wholesale here in Illinois to get the pump price.)
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2011, 10:42 AM   #99
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
In my area regular unleaded went from $3.39 to $3.36 a gallon. I hope it keeps going down but I dought it.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2011, 10:44 AM   #100
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Just be thankful our ninjettes sips regular... everyone is using regular gas, right?

Yes, be glad our Ninjettes get 50 to 70 mpg.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2011, 12:28 PM   #101
almost40

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post

What is killing us is the cost of heating oil this winter. We have a well insulated house and it still hovers around $750 a month. We have no natural gas here in Maine--wood--LPG (Propane) and oil. Wife is allergic to wood smoke and propane is also creeping up. That's the price one pays for beautiful scenery, a low crime rate, and few hurricanes and earthquakes.
How about burning coal or corn in "woodburning" style heater in the house. Corn and coal is cheap here in the midwest and a good option if you dont want or cant use wood. $750 a month is CRAZY. $750 will pay my natural gas bill for the whole year. (Even if I dont use the woodburner.) Do you have a flash heat water heater?? I paid $1200 for mine and my daily gas useage dropped to 1/2 a therm a day in the summer for hot water. Down for 3 therms a day. My 200,000 BTU flash heater will run the washer on hot, the kitchen faucet on hot on full bore, and the shower all at the same time. Granted, not at the same pressure as a hot water heater but it will run all 3 all day and never vary the temp 1 degree. It will run 2 of the 3 at full pressure no problem. Might save you alot of bucks if you can afford to buy one.

Old March 10th, 2011, 12:37 PM   #102
almost40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
There is a lot of oil in Alaska that is untapped and will remain so as long as the environmentalists have their say. Until then, OPEC will continue to ream us. The Libyan problems right now is just another excuse for them to jack up prices. Does anyone really expect them to drop prices if the problems in Libya go away? The US government needs to take action of some sort now. Even if it doesn't affect short term prices, it would be nice to see a stabilization. Every week, it's a crap shoot. The prices keep going up, even in good times.

Price of oil is determined by OPEC. Consumers don't really have any say in the matter and the only thing we can do is to consume less fuel to create a larger supply than demand. Since people aren't going to forgo their ski trips or vacations, it's not likely to happen.
Lets not forget the HUGE "new" find of oil in North Dakota, or the tar sands oil that almost runs the length of the rockies. Canada is extracting the very same oil (in canada) as we speak and selling it to us.
Check the above mentioned book out. You might have a different perspective on who controls the price of oil and why. After reading the book I changed my mind.

Old March 10th, 2011, 01:01 PM   #103
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Bought the book for my wife. She's been complaining about it for the past week. In her opinion (haven't read it yet myself, but give it time), it gives conspiracy theorists a fun story to tell, but just doesn't align with reality in so many ways. The fact that the guy used to write for Platts has further downgraded her opinion on the validity of what they provide to the industry. Correlation <> Causality. When the correlation isn't even clear, well, here we are.

Old March 10th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #104
almost40

Quote:
Bought the book for my wife. She's been complaining about it for the past week. In her opinion (haven't read it yet myself, but give it time), it gives conspiracy theorists a fun story to tell, but just doesn't align with reality in so many ways. The fact that the guy used to write for Platts has further downgraded her opinion on the validity of what they provide to the industry. Correlation <> Causality. When the correlation isn't even clear, well, here we are.
I read it with a "this guy is a conspiricy nut" frame of mind myself. The I did a little checking on my own and found alot of validity in the pages. Let me know what you think after you give it a read. The most compelling argument IMO is how the price of oil tracks with world events. The fall of Russia and the rise of the Chinese.

Old March 10th, 2011, 04:11 PM   #105
Alex
ninjette.org dude

That's the crux of the problem. (In her words) it doesn't make a compelling case in the least. There is never a linkage of how any of this could actually have been manipulated. The perception that buttons could be pressed, levers pulled, and influences taken advantage of, to cause the pricing to be affected in such a way, is just not how things work. The author started with a premise, made a bunch of wild assumptions, and ultimately didn't connect any of the dots. The belief that the US has 1: enough unimpeachable foresight over decades of foreign policy, and 2: enough direct influence to affect the pricing, to directly affect things as clearly as the author suggests, does just not hold up to scrutiny.

Old March 10th, 2011, 10:56 PM   #106
almost40

Quote:
That's the crux of the problem. (In her words) it doesn't make a compelling case in the least. There is never a linkage of how any of this could actually have been manipulated. The perception that buttons could be pressed, levers pulled, and influences taken advantage of, to cause the pricing to be affected in such a way, is just not how things work. The author started with a premise, made a bunch of wild assumptions, and ultimately didn't connect any of the dots. The belief that the US has 1: enough unimpeachable foresight over decades of foreign policy, and 2: enough direct influence to affect the pricing, to directly affect things as clearly as the author suggests, does just not hold up to scrutiny.

Well, manipulating the oil market isnt as tall an order as it would seem. It doesnt take decades of foresight to see who the current problem (enemy) for the US is.

All it takes to manipulate the price of oil is money, and we just so happen to have the most of it. Add to that, the fact that oil (and the worlds economy) is bought and sold in our currency and theres no exchange rate for the treasury. How tough would it be?? If you believe that oil speculators can influence the price of oil. Why cant the government? I dont know what percentage of people dabble in oil commotities but Im sure that their combined wealth is a mere drop in the bucket compared to the wealth of the US treasury. Ever wonder why there is a Chinese push to change the way the world uses the dollar to base other countrys currencies??? Think it would benefit the chinese if the word used the chinese yaun insted of the dollar??

The connection of the ultra low priced oil, in times of plenty here in the United States and the colapse of the USSR doesnt strike me as a wild coincidence. Demand for oil was growing like crazy but the price was in the $20 dollar range and stayed there. WHY??
The USSR depends on the oil and gas exports for its very survival. The price of crude leading up to the colapse of the USSR was in the $20 a barrel range. After the colapse it stayed in the basement despite the fast rising demand from the US and others for oil.
It stayed in the basement until the Chinese GDP started to expand at double digits. Coincidence??
This ultra low price knocked the russians down and kept them down for YEARS. Guess what It worked like a charm. Only recently have the russians began to claw back. Why?? Increased oil and natural gas prices.

Fast forward to just a couple years ago. the price of oil rocketed to $140 a barrel. Why?? It wasnt a production problem nor was it a consumption problem despite the story from the media.
Ill tell you why. The most vulnerable economy in the world to high oil prices is the oil dependant chinese. They have very little oil to speak of. (They produce under half of what they consumed 10 years ago. Production figures are according to the chinese govenment and notoriously unreliable) Double digit growth in the economy DEPENDS on $50 or less a barrel of imported oil. Cheap oil means growth to the chinese. This growth keeps the people of china from overthrowing the government as they move from the rice fields and huts to the population centers and condos. The chinese have figured out the game and are currently buying oil leases as fast as they can. I wonder why? If you can lock in a price for 10 years, your all the more stable and uneffected by the manipulation of the oil price.

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/5798500/...torical-prices

Check this link out it gives a little basis to the argument that the chinese are the most vulnerable. As a matter of fact it was the conclusion of the piece.

NOW, do you want me to tie all this into the 2nd invasion of Iraq?? The front door for the chinese military to the worlds oil supply. The supply that they will need to bring the hundreds of millions of people out of poverty and into the population centers. After the invasion by US forces and the UN, that door is currently deadbolted.
Is all this a coincidence??? Not in my mind
I may sound like a conspiracy nut, but I hate those clowns.
I could go on but Ill conclude with this.

I believe that there are SOME people in Washington who are looking at the world situation and planning ahead. While our elected political leaders squabble for political power and make a show of things for the "people". There are people in the NSA, CIA, etc.. that are working to ensure the US stays the worlds sole Superpower and will use any means at there disposal to "attack" our enemies. That includes the oil card.

The left chart is china GDP 10% growth in 05 oil price jump in 05 go figure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GDP_ht3.jpg (20.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: gif USpetroleumconsumption.gif (57.8 KB, 3 views)

Old March 11th, 2011, 12:02 AM   #107
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

I think this makes sense.
I believe that US oil reserves are kept there for some sort of very bad event, on global scale. Something political that is, not a natural catastrophe.

And for the present, most oil comes from middle east, and most of those countries are similar to very large family owned estates. They all want money, and they will sell to the highest bidder.

Toss in some promises of future trade and a few aircraft carriers in the Persian gulf, a demonstration of willingness (Iraq), and there you have it.
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2011, 12:44 AM   #108
Alex
ninjette.org dude

If it makes you feel better to believe that there are people taking care of things behind the scenes in the way you and the author describe, it would be silly for any of us to stand in the way.

/I'm out.

Old March 11th, 2011, 01:25 AM   #109
dyeforever
ninjette.org member

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 04 250r(sold), 09 250r(sold), 07 CRF450x, 07 sv650(sold)

Holy cow. rode by the gas station today, up to 4.37 for regular. dang! glad i still get 40mpg on my bike.
dyeforever is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2011, 03:01 AM   #110
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

Quote:
If it makes you feel better to believe that there are people taking care of things behind the scenes in the way you and the author describe, it would be silly for any of us to stand in the way.

/I'm out.
I don't believe it
It just makes sense. But, looks too easy to grasp. And in general I do believe that this kind of stuff (global economy, or whatever) is too chaotic and random to be controlled that easily, or to be controlled at all. It is interesting to see what others think. Don't give up on us!
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2011, 03:43 PM   #111
almost40

Quote:

/I'm out.
Thank you for pacifying me ALEX Its not a subject that will REALLY get me going. Thanks anyway. Its just my opinion and a confirmation to me that the Pen is more mighty than the sword.
Give the book a read when your wife is done with it.
Form your own conclusion.
Then ill pacify you.

Old March 11th, 2011, 03:50 PM   #112
almost40

$3.65 here, up $.13 cents today. looks like the price at the pump caught up with the whosale price here in Illinois.

Old March 11th, 2011, 03:50 PM   #113
scotty

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
You guys are still lucky.
Cheap mom and pop station

Chevron next to it.

Hey, I ate at that very Wendys!!!

Old March 12th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #114
Raven
ninjette.org member

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja ZX6R

It's 3.69 for regular here. 4.19 diesel. Glad I own a sportbike and gas sipping Mazda B2200 truck.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2011, 06:28 PM   #115
kkim

$4.01, yesterday, for regular at my usual station.

Old March 12th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #116
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

$3.44 for regular here.

Old March 14th, 2011, 10:29 PM   #117
almost40

Wholesale unleaded dropped like a rock today. I expect the price at the pump to begin to trickle down. It hit my local stations this afternoon. $3.59 down from $3.65

Old March 15th, 2011, 12:29 AM   #118
ungluck
sleeper

Name: chris

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '10 690 duke

Quote:

Putting that amount into the market to try and affect pricing is a blip in the process, and within a few days the price would once again stabilize at whatever the market will bear, with the buyers and sellers agreeing on a sale price. Just like every other day.
yup

the immigrant thing...

your very misinformed and very uneducated. there are more trueblood americans(white,black,hispanic,asian,etc) having mutiple children, not working and sucking up welfare,etc.

my sister is one of them.

anyway..

gas prices are not gonna go down..they will taper off in a few weeks. saw 4.14 here today. and i only run our crappy 92 in everything we own. regular is junk on oahu.
ungluck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #119
Raven
ninjette.org member

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja ZX6R

Paid 3.98 a gal, for supreme fuel off chevron this morning.

Alex, about the immigrant thing youll be real suprised how many AMERICANS out there are doing what youre against about.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2011, 11:28 AM   #120
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Let's stop this immigrant topic dead right now. An apparently insensitive comment was made in post 79 of this thread. I reacted/responded to it 2 posts later, but wasn't sure if it was a language thing or if it really was as absurd as I perceived. The poster hasn't returned since, so there hasn't been an update. I assume Chris was responding to that initial poster, rather than any of the followup comments from myself and others.

Back to gas prices...