ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 28th, 2010, 08:50 AM   #361
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

^^^Looks like a lot of "cutting"!
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2010, 09:46 AM   #362
kamikaze
ex-ninjette.org guru :o

Name: Trevor

Motorcycle(s): 2003 SV1000 S

i'm still looking for a cheap headlight housing for a retro
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2010, 09:53 AM   #363
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerociousNINJA View Post
Found this HID Bi-Xenon thread for the '06 Ninja 650R. The headlight looks similar to the '08+ Ninja 250R.

"Newest Mod....a few pics (projector headlamps w/CCFL rings)"
http://www.riderforums.com/showthread.php?t=53770
I've seen those brought up in the past. What turns me off from it is taking the headlight housing apart... then what happens if a bulb goes out, gotta do the whole dang thing again. I'll stick to my normal HIDs.
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2010, 10:10 AM   #364
kamikaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneJunkie View Post
I've seen those brought up in the past. What turns me off from it is taking the headlight housing apart... then what happens if a bulb goes out, gotta do the whole dang thing again. I'll stick to my normal HIDs.
depends on the kit. i think those ebay ones with the projectors are a sealed unit, so the bulb is part of the projector. I want to go with the morimoto D2S mini bi-xenon projectors from theretrofitsource.com (http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...43fb4ae97b2720) and the bulbs can be removed from the back like normal.

Old December 28th, 2010, 06:07 PM   #365
FerociousNINJA
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja TwoFiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
^^^Looks like a lot of "cutting"!
No cutting on the 650R. I did read something about trimming the rear part of the reflector so it sits in a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneJunkie View Post
No need taking the HL housing apart to switch bulbs.

I did notice the current technology is 5th gen which is rare on ebay. Here is a site that give some good info on these type of HID Bi-Xenons:
http://www.xenon-man.com/Angel-Eye_B...ens_Light.html
FerociousNINJA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2011, 12:32 PM   #366
kamikaze

for anyone wondering about the dual in/dual out harness that DDM sells, it works very well with a small modification (well, what I'd consider to be small ). they give you lots of wire, and the connectors all snap into place. since it only comes with one relay (so that either headlamp will power the ballasts, I just added a relay and separated one part of the harness so that the lo beam triggers the relay for one ballast, and the hi beam triggers the other relay. nice thing is that the harness is good for 40A and comes fused, so there's no worries about the factory 10A fuse for the headlamps. I just have to buy a 40A for that harness to keep as a spare just in case. Even without projectors (which i still want to do at some point) the cutoffs look about the same, just a LOT brighter. it's too bad it's raining, i would have loved to take it for a rip since it's so warm out.

Old January 20th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #367
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mikel

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue Kawasaki KLE650 Versys, '95 Ducati 900SS/CR (undergoing track conversion)

I keep reading about people having a fuse problem and wonder why they are stressing the integrity of their wiring as Kelly pointed out earlier, when a simpler solution would be to wire in a Relay. This would also open up the option of running full power to the lights straight from the battery.

I am looking into doing a non-HID dual beam conversion, with both Low and High beams on both sides. With the headlights mounted as close to each other as they are, they still look like one headlight from a distance. As a driver in the City, HID's irritate the hell out of me due to people never having them properly aimed, so yes, it is a personal preference born of irritation LOL

Old January 21st, 2011, 08:10 AM   #368
camaroz1985

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

To solve the problem of sealing in the boot, I noticed the kit I bought for my Versys came with an adapter and not modifications were necessary. I got them from DDM Tuning for $35. I will try to take a picture when I get a chance again, but basically it is a little piece that goes over the bulb like the adapter on the back of the stock bulbs, and matches to the inside of the rubber boot.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2011, 09:59 AM   #369
nattygirl
ninjette.org guru

Name: Natalie

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 Special Edition Red/Black

I have the DDM tuning kit also. Take a look at my pics of it on post #322 and the back of how it looks on post #357. This is what you're talking about, right? No need to post pics.

Old January 21st, 2011, 10:06 AM   #370
kevlar250
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): '94 Vulcan 1500, '06 Katana 600, '08 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyckedflesh View Post
I am looking into doing a non-HID dual beam conversion, with both Low and High beams on both sides. With the headlights mounted as close to each other as they are, they still look like one headlight from a distance.
That could be a problem as the H side is focused for highs only with a standard bulb. Maybe you could get a dual-element H/L bulb to fit and experiment with the two filaments to get L on the H side and H on the L side.
kevlar250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2011, 07:29 AM   #371
camaroz1985

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattygirl View Post
I have the DDM tuning kit also. Take a look at my pics of it on post #322 and the back of how it looks on post #357. This is what you're talking about, right? No need to post pics.
Yeah that's it, but on the Versys everything seals up tightly, just like stock. Guess the rubber boots are a little bit different.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #372
c717905
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Black Ninja 250, 2009 Black ZX-6r

I just put in my DDM Tuning HID kit yesterday and I haven't quite decided if I want to use both bulbs or not. I currently have both high and low beams in HID, but I am thinking of putting the halogen back in for the low beams so as not to blind people when I am riding. I know a lot of people don't care about the other drivers so long as they can see and be seen better, but I don't want to be that guy that has his high beams on all the time, or at least look like I do with my non-projector HID bulbs.

Now to the question. Is there any reason I can't put the stock halogen back in for the low beam and keep the HID for the high beam? Would that cause any obvious, or not so obvious problems?

Thanks all.

Old May 11th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #373
ungluck
sleeper

Name: chris

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '10 690 duke

mine was plug in,ziptie and turn-on DDM unit. 4300 temp..perfect..white light, works great in all weather.

i think the most common issue, is liek most effin ricers, they get really blue or purple colored bulbs(5500 and up) and they can't see in the wet at night...

love having a lowbeam HID..muuucchhh better
ungluck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #374
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by c717905 View Post

Now to the question. Is there any reason I can't put the stock halogen back in for the low beam and keep the HID for the high beam? Would that cause any obvious, or not so obvious problems?
you can do that w/o any problems.

However, I suggest you install both high and low beam HIDs and then take the time to make sure your headlight aiming is correct.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2011, 10:58 PM   #375
c717905
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
you can do that w/o any problems.

However, I suggest you install both high and low beam HIDs and then take the time to make sure your headlight aiming is correct.
I've tried to make adjustments to the low beam by turning the adjustment knob as explained by the OP and others in this thread, but without HID projectors, the beam is scattered and irregular. I am very concerned about blinding oncoming traffic and causing problems. Any suggestions?

Old May 11th, 2011, 11:51 PM   #376
kkim

how are you checking the aim? set the bike up in front of a wall and see what the pattern looks like. mine had a pretty even cutoff with the HIDs. maybe your bulb is not seated fully in the headlight?

Old May 12th, 2011, 10:58 AM   #377
c717905
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
how are you checking the aim? set the bike up in front of a wall and see what the pattern looks like. mine had a pretty even cutoff with the HIDs. maybe your bulb is not seated fully in the headlight?
I did that when I first installed them and thought it would be ok. But when I actually rode with them it seemed light was going everywhere. I will double check the installation and alignment to see if that helps.

Thanks.

Old May 23rd, 2011, 06:58 AM   #378
Dipmode
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 kawaski ninja 250R, 2003 kawasaki ninja 636 zx-6r

i haven't been on here in forever lol but i did make a DIY a long time ago on my bike with the HID so might as well not let it go to waste it took me about 45 min, i was going to go street fighter with it, but anyways thought i'd just put it on here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3hdSlCb6ak
Dipmode is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 07:45 PM   #379
Azhyen
ninjette.org Pirate

Name: Seph

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Hey how did all of you remove the leads from the stock connector? You know the ones that connect to the ballast. Any pics? Thanks to everyone with all their pics so far! Very thorough guys and gals!

Old July 9th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #380
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhyen View Post
Hey how did all of you remove the leads from the stock connector? You know the ones that connect to the ballast. Any pics? Thanks to everyone with all their pics so far! Very thorough guys and gals!
have you read this diy? http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11413

IIRC, the stock plug on the back of the headlight simple unplugs by pulling on it.

Old July 9th, 2011, 11:06 PM   #381
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Kelly, you realize you linked this thread, right?

Seph, are you talking about pulling out the connectors from the stock plug? If you look closely, there's a place where you can insert a flat-bladed screwdriver on the female plug (coming from the wiring harness) to get them out, but I'm not sure why you'd want to given this DIY. Or are you talking about the connectors that mate from the new HID bulb to its ballast?

Could you post a photo of what you're trying to extract? May be able to help once I know exactly what's goin on.

Last futzed with by Momaru; July 10th, 2011 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Clarification
Momaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 11:59 PM   #382
kkim

lolz...

Old July 10th, 2011, 10:51 AM   #383
Azhyen
ninjette.org Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
Seph, are you talking about pulling out the connectors from the stock plug? If you look closely, there's a place where you can insert a flat-bladed screwdriver on the female plug (coming from the wiring harness) to get them out, but I'm not sure why you'd want to given this DIY.
May be able to help once I know exactly what's goin on.
Trying to connect the Ballast:

To the connector on the bike:

Old July 10th, 2011, 11:28 AM   #384
Momaru

Ahhhh. Ok, makes sense.

Well, as you've probably already figured out, those connectors won't work together, even if you pull the female spades out of the stock harness. Unless you want to cut up your stock wiring and solder/crimp on a new female 9006-type connector (the HID ballast has the male end), you'll need an adapter. You can cleanly make them (need 2, 1 for each ballast/bulb you replace) yourself using an H4 male connector (spades sticking out) and a 9006 female connector (accepts the pins from the ballast).

Sometimes those kits include a 9006-type pigtail (connector w/ wiring) but guess they didn't for yours; please correct me if I'm wrong. If they did, you could either just splice that into the stock wiring or solder/crimp on some appropriately-sized male spade connectors and insert them into the spade receivers in the stock harness. If you did this, you'd have basically the piece of wiring shown in the top of the pic from the OP:

Quote:
This is how the wires look, now:
Took a look 'round the internets. Here is about the only place I've found the exact part, pre-made:
http://autolumination.com/connectors.htm
What you want are two of the H4 HID power harness (Search "HID Power" on the page I linked, then select H4 from the dropdown menu below the pictures). Only thing to note with that is it looks like they used all 3 pin slots on their connector, while our bikes only use two of them. One of the male spades won't be doing anything.

Yes, I know our bikes use H7 bulbs, but the stock wiring harness connector is an H4. That little black spacer/extender on the back of the stock bulbs is an H7 to H4 adapter, that essentially just spreads out and widens the pins. Reference post

Alternatively, I'd be happy to make them for ya, as I've got the tools/knowhow to do so, just need the parts. Cost-wise, it'd be pretty close to buying them premade, but I know how to crimp, solder and waterproof my connections, which is more than I can say about most wiring kits I've seen.

Old July 10th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #385
Azhyen
ninjette.org Pirate

Ah ok! It DID come with just ONE. My kit came as a set of two... Thanks so much for explaining that Momaru! Guess I'll just connect the lowbeam for now.

Old July 10th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #386
Momaru

I got just one in my set of two bulb/ballasts as well, but didn't use it as I was going for a more drastic change and wanted to do a 'proper' wiring harness.

If you'd like, I can dig around and see if I've still got it. If so, I'd be happy to attach spades and send it over to ya.

PS. Sorry for the overkill explanation above, I tend to get a bit long-winded pretty often, but like people to understand their options, etc.

Old July 10th, 2011, 04:48 PM   #387
Azhyen
ninjette.org Pirate

No, I appreciate thorough explanations! Managed to get my lowbeams swapped, they look real white compared to the hibeam which is still stock.

Old August 1st, 2011, 02:58 PM   #388
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
I know HID/Xenon lights aren't illegal in NY as many cars have them, but do you know if you can have green HID's? Yes they do exist.

Old August 1st, 2011, 03:54 PM   #389
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2011 white se 250r , 2008 zx6R

my guess would be in NY city you can run any color you want as ive seen cars up there with all different color lights..loL! but honestly id say green wouldnt be legal, anything other then white is usually illegal.. usually slightly blue they wont bother you but...
greatwhiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2011, 03:56 PM   #390
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhiteninja View Post
my guess would be in NY city you can run any color you want as ive seen cars up there with all different color lights..loL!
That's what I would assume. I'm not in NYC though. But, you probably shouldn't get red or blue because you can be mistaken for a police officer.

Old August 1st, 2011, 03:59 PM   #391
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

probably any color from 4k on up to 10-12k youd be all right id imagine. probably could get away with 3k even which is yellow.

Old August 1st, 2011, 04:01 PM   #392
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
I have no clue what green ones are. But yellow wouldn't matter since older lights are already yellow, so I don't think many would even notice that they are HIDs.

Old August 1st, 2011, 04:03 PM   #393
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
I know HID/Xenon lights aren't illegal in NY as many cars have them, but do you know if you can have green HID's? Yes they do exist.
None of the aftermarket HID kits are legal; they aren't DOT approved. But - if they aren't blinding oncoming traffic, they are less likely to cause a legal hassle than they did a few years back.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2011, 05:27 PM   #394
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
So do cars have to be DOT approved? Because if they're not doesn't that mean you can technically be pulled over?

Old August 1st, 2011, 05:32 PM   #395
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
I have no clue what green ones are. But yellow wouldn't matter since older lights are already yellow, so I don't think many would even notice that they are HIDs.
The yellow 3k It's a bright yellow, not a faded yellow. They actually look good.

Old August 1st, 2011, 05:32 PM   #396
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

All lighting equipment (lights, reflectors, etc.) on cars or bikes needs to be DOT approved.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old August 13th, 2011, 12:17 AM   #397
banhbaoo
ninjette.org member

Name: Bao

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r Red

just installed my digital hid .. took forever taking apart the bike for the first time. I dremeled the old bulbs to use the plastic part in order to stabilize the bulbs in place more. Loving it so far!
banhbaoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2011, 09:41 AM   #398
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
All lighting equipment (lights, reflectors, etc.) on cars or bikes needs to be DOT approved.
So why do people install non-dot approved lights?

Old August 13th, 2011, 09:44 AM   #399
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Beats me.

(but the enforcement of those laws is clearly a very, very rare occurrence)

Old August 13th, 2011, 09:52 AM   #400
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Beats me.

(but the enforcement of those laws is clearly a very, very rare occurrence)
Do you have anything that isn't DOT approved on your bikes?