ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 15th, 2014, 06:45 PM   #1
ninjamatt03
ninjette.org newbie

Name: matt

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

bikes throttle sputters at WOT

Hey guys new forum member here. Always reading the forum but never actually made an account because I had nothing to talk about. Well I finally have an issue with my bike and I am confused what to do.

First thing, when I warm the bike up and turn the choke off it will sometimes idle low for a second and then die out very quickly after choke is turned off. This is with the bike fully warmed up. Other times I turn the bike on when its already warm and it will spike right up to 2k. Other times it will be at 1500 where I want it.

The main problem I am having is when I really crank the throttle and start getting to Higher rpms/WOT the bike will sputter and sound bog. It makes it to redline eventually but it will not do it without the throttle chopping g out very hard on the way there.

I replaced the air filter and the problem felt resolved for my first 4-5 min ride but I didn't push it completely as I was scared of how it would react. Next ride problem was back. I also have been running seafoam through the tank for a little over a week trying to clear out the carbs if that may be the problem. I smell gas when I ride so I think its running rich. I dont want to do the carbs myself. Is that the problem here? If what I'm looking at is a carb cleaning how much will that cost me? My shops labor rate is $72 an hour.
ninjamatt03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2014, 07:01 PM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamatt03 View Post
Hey guys new forum member here. Always reading the forum but never actually made an account because I had nothing to talk about. Well I finally have an issue with my bike and I am confused what to do.

First thing, when I warm the bike up and turn the choke off it will sometimes idle low for a second and then die out very quickly after choke is turned off. This is with the bike fully warmed up. Other times I turn the bike on when its already warm and it will spike right up to 2k. Other times it will be at 1500 where I want it.

The main problem I am having is when I really crank the throttle and start getting to Higher rpms/WOT the bike will sputter and sound bog. It makes it to redline eventually but it will not do it without the throttle chopping g out very hard on the way there.

I replaced the air filter and the problem felt resolved for my first 4-5 min ride but I didn't push it completely as I was scared of how it would react. Next ride problem was back. I also have been running seafoam through the tank for a little over a week trying to clear out the carbs if that may be the problem. I smell gas when I ride so I think its running rich. I dont want to do the carbs myself. Is that the problem here? If what I'm looking at is a carb cleaning how much will that cost me? My shops labor rate is $72 an hour.
How fresh is the gas?

Did you oil the air filter?

If the gas is fresh, and the air filter not over-oiled, I think you may need to remove and clean the carbs. If you do it yourself, or have it done, make sure you follow the proper procedures or work with someone that knows what they are doing.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2014, 07:07 PM   #3
psykown
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 "sold" 2014 ninja 300 "Gold" 2000 DRZ400S (Sold the POS) K7 GSXR600 (Also POS...see a pattern?

Try checking you Fuel air mixture as well. I was goofing around with mine and when rich (too much fuel) it did the exact same thing around 10-11k once I leaned the mixture back out the problem completely disappeared.
psykown is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2014, 07:08 PM   #4
psykown
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 "sold" 2014 ninja 300 "Gold" 2000 DRZ400S (Sold the POS) K7 GSXR600 (Also POS...see a pattern?

A couple turns of the mixxture screw beats taking your bike apart

Old September 15th, 2014, 07:11 PM   #5
ninjamatt03
ninjette.org newbie

Fuel is fresh and filter was new and pre oiled. I will try playing with the air fuel mixture and hopefully have some success. What should I do with it exactly? I'm new to working on my bike.

Old September 15th, 2014, 07:17 PM   #6
psykown
ninjette.org member

Try resetting it to the factory position which I believe is 2.5 turns and then it is a matter of experimentation. I believe going lean (turning the screw in) is safer then going rich (backing the screw out) maybe someone else knows better there? for me it took four or five rides with it at different settings and working through the gears WOT to find what worked best.

Old September 15th, 2014, 07:19 PM   #7
amad1972
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Honda ST1300, 2001 Ninja 250

If you have never taken the carbs off, or ever cleaned carbs, this is a good chance to learn. It sounds like you are having problems with the main jets, the idle mixture screws, and possibly other jets. I recently had the same problem with it bogging at wide open throttle, but would eventually make it to redline. I took the carbs off 4 times to clean them before I realized that someone before me had changed the main jets to much too large...possibly for an aftermarket exhaust that was not still on it. Anyway, after replacing the main jets with the correct size, it runs great. The carbs are pretty simple, especially if you read a few threads on cleaning and adjusting them. If you took it to the shop, my wild guess would be about 3 hours of labor.

Old September 15th, 2014, 08:01 PM   #8
ninjamatt03
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks a lot. Will probably just give it to the shop due to the fact that I pulled the carbs out once to clean it and it was not the problem at the time, I just had bad spark plugs. It was terribly hard to remove because of the air box getting in the way. College class + work leaves my time very limited so I am thinking I'm best to just get them cleaned professionally.

Old September 16th, 2014, 04:53 PM   #9
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Welcome to the group, Matt! I'm a fan of stock jetting, airbox, and exhaust because I don't have a dynomometer or air-fuel/carbon-monoxide/carbon-dioxide measuring tools.

So what are you majoring in?

Last futzed with by dcj13; September 16th, 2014 at 04:54 PM. Reason: grammatical improvement...
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2014, 04:57 PM   #10
amad1972
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Honda ST1300, 2001 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamatt03 View Post
Thanks a lot. Will probably just give it to the shop due to the fact that I pulled the carbs out once to clean it and it was not the problem at the time, I just had bad spark plugs. It was terribly hard to remove because of the air box getting in the way. College class + work leaves my time very limited so I am thinking I'm best to just get them cleaned professionally.
I hear you! The first time I removed the carbs, that airbox drove me crazy. After removing them 4 times (along with the rear fender each time to give the airbox some room to move back), I was able to completely remove them in about 15 minutes. It took a few times to get that down, though.

Good luck with it. Let us know what the shop said it was.

Old September 16th, 2014, 07:16 PM   #11
ninjamatt03
ninjette.org newbie

I'll post an update on here when bikes done. Scheduling appointment tomorrow. And dcj13 I am majoring in psychology actually. I love learning about how we work!

Old September 16th, 2014, 07:37 PM   #12
tiii
ninjette.org member

Name: tony

Motorcycle(s): 03 Ninja 250

Mine ran like that. Previous owner didn't get the airbox boots 100% on.