ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old December 20th, 2011, 09:56 PM   #1
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Fix for front wheel squeak noise/Front wheel removal

If you are getting an odd noise at low speed that's repetitive as the front wheel turns most likely it's your wheel hub seals. It also could be because the seal was not installed flush and or was damaged during wheel removal/installation. Over time dirt and grime will accumulate around the seal and eventually get into it. KKim's DIY tire change and balance touches on this topic.

Tools needed:
Pliers
Torque wrench
12mm wrench/socket
17mm wrench/socket
20mm wrench/socket
front triple stand (or at least a rear stand and jack)
rear stand

Materials:
rags/paper towels
wheel bearing grease

Support your bike up with both front and rear stands.
Remove the front brake caliper held on by 2 12mm bolts and move it to the side.
Disconnect the speedometer cable from wheel hub. With some pliers, just unscrew.

Remove cotter pin and castle nut.
Carefully remove the axle bolt while supporting the wheel. Lower wheel and remove. The wheel spacer on the right side will fall out in most cases.

Clean the wheel spacer, speedometer hub seal, and wheel seals of old grease and debris.

Inspect wheel spacer for nicks and scratches where the seal surface contacts. If there are any, lightly polish it smooth. If any of the seals are noticeably damaged, replace them or else water and debris will enter the wheel hub and damage the wheel bearings. I found out that one of my seals wasn't installed flush and had some slight tears on the lip but didn't need to be replaced. Install new grease onto seals, axle bolt and wheel spacer.
Here you can kind of see that the seal wasn't installed flush.

Reinstall wheel spacer and speedometer hub back on to wheel. Carefully lift wheel inbetween forks making sure that the speedometer gear housing stop is aligned with the fork. If it's not aligned, the housing will spin and damage your speedometer cable and housing.
You can see the slot here will it will line up with the fork:

Slide axle bolt through wheel.
Torque castle nut to 65 ft/lb.
Install cotter pin.
Put some grease on the speedometer cable end and put it back into the housing. Spin the wheel so the cable end will fit into the gear slot so you can screw it back in.
Reinstall brake caliper. Torque bolts to 18 ft/lb.

Stay squeak free

Last futzed with by cuong-nutz; December 20th, 2011 at 11:03 PM.
cuong-nutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 20th, 2011, 10:00 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Nice! I linked it from the wiki article on fixing the squeak:

http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/My_Bike...ont_Tire/wheel

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 20th, 2011, 10:41 PM   #3
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

More how-to's to come...Too much free time until I find another job.

Old December 21st, 2011, 01:01 AM   #4
Flying Pig
Resident Lurker

Name: Solomon

Motorcycle(s): R6, Strom, 250R, CH80 Elite

Funny. I noticed that on my diagnostic run. It would come at slower speeds, but not at faster. I figured I'd just remove the front wheel and regrease everything I could, glad to know it's a common problem and not just specific to the ninjette that I picked up

Old February 14th, 2012, 06:37 PM   #5
Megamike
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R

Sorry to revive an old thread/issue, i just wanted to post my experience with this in case its useful for others.

i had a brand new 2011 ninja, squeak starting coming in at about 700mi

1st attempt to fix
- Had a mechanic remove front wheel, grease everything, he said yeah it seemed the wheel was overly tight from factory as mentioned in other threads etc. Squeak came back in about 100mi with a vengeance

2nd attempt to fix
- squeak got so bad you could hear it a block away, (louder than the engine), bike was embarrassing/no fun to ride anymore. took it back to dealer to check out.

they fixed it and only charged 1/2 hour for labor, the below are their notes on it -

"Test ride did hear some noise sounded like brake pad having contact with rotor. Removed wheel Lubed/Greased dust seals, checked bearings all seem ok, removed caliper and no noise present, installed calipers and noise was present, the noise is break pad making contact with rotor, brake pads will break in with time."

so it seems like it was a brake issue. My squeak has completely gone (fingers crossed it stays that way)

After reading a lot of threads on this, it seems like this happens on new bikes and is not something that will just "go away" with break in of the brake pads. My squeak gradually got worse and worse until i couldn't take it
anymore....

So if there are any of you out there still greasing and regreasing with wd-40 etc, maybe checking out and/or adjusting the brake calipers might help.
Megamike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2012, 03:23 PM   #6
GlassAnkles
ninjette.org member

Name: Mo

Motorcycle(s): 02 zx-12r, 13 zx-10r abs

glad you bumped this thread, i was wondering the hell that noise was coming from my 2012
GlassAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #7
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

I'm getting my tires replaced, do you think I could ask them to grease up everything?

Would printing this DIY thing out and showing them would help me fix my issue?

I've talked to them before about it, and they just say it's the brakes. I'm fluent enough with motor vehicles to know it is not the brakes. Like I originally thought, it was something dealing with the bearings...but no, they didn't want to listen.

Thanks for bumping up this thread!!!
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #8
Megamike
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R

I think in your case, you might just want to try another mechanic or a larger motorcycle dealer that might have more mechanics to look at your bike. I think the greasing helps but it really just covers up the brake/caliper issue a little bit.

I'm not sure but i'm assuming when my bike was in the shop they were able to mount my bike on a stand and spin the wheels to test for the squeak with the caliper's on and off. It doesn't sound safe/realistic for them to take it for a ride without the calipers on =D

i'm no mechanic but i already tried the greasing thing with my regular guy and it didn't work. You shouldn't have to grease that stuff as normal maintenance imo, there had to be some cause of it. Maybe you can just have your brakes and calipers checked anyways? seems like in my case the calipers needed adjustment or something.
Megamike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2013, 08:47 AM   #9
Rob250
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Black & yellow Ninja 250

Awesom,
Had my 2012 Ninja for 5 months started hearing this sqeek. Going to check this as its most likely the issue. Very cool Great how to!
Rob250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2013, 05:48 PM   #10
hamm
ninjette.org member

Name: ham

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 09

Just a heads up to anybody reading this, I followed this guide and used wheel bearing grease to lubricate the wheel spacer which fixed the squeak on my Ninja.

Thanks to the OP

www.youtube.com/user/tastyhamsandwhich | motovlogger
hamm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2013, 08:09 PM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old April 23rd, 2014, 12:19 PM   #12
kennetht
ninjette.org member

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

all speedo hubs for 2008-2014 ninjas are identical correct? my bike is 2009, and i need to replace it as it is broken.

looking to replace my 2009 hub with this hub from a brand new 2012 ninja 250

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Kawasak...p=mtr#viTabs_0

this will work fine correct?
kennetht is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2014, 12:24 PM   #13
Alex
ninjette.org dude

2008-2012 are identical. 2013 will be different.

Old April 23rd, 2014, 12:25 PM   #14
kennetht
ninjette.org member

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
2008-2012 are identical. 2013 will be different.
ok so its only 2008-2012 that are identical.

perfect, thank you. going to purchase now.
kennetht is offline   Reply With Quote