ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 9th, 2018, 07:11 AM   #1
isuoboe
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 1981 Honda CB125S, 2006 Ninja 250

Side cover broken "tab"

For lack of the correct term, one of the "tabs" on a side cover is broken off. This is of minor consequence; I forget about it except when I take the cover off. However, there must be an easy fix which some of you have done. (Like drilling a hole and putting the right diameter/length screw in.)

I'd love to hear from anyone who has repaired this successfully.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018:5:9 ninja side cover.jpg (83.3 KB, 2 views)

Old May 9th, 2018, 07:39 AM   #2
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

I've had success using Plastex Plastic Repair kits.

With the Plastex kit you can even re-create a part that's been lost, if the bike you're working on has another identical piece somewhere on it. The Plastex kit includes a bar of material that you soften in hot water and then hand mould/press around the part you want to re-create. When it cools you can pull the mould material off of the "pattern" piece and then execute the Plastex fill-and-drip process to build up an identical part inside the mould. Then you remove the new part from inside the mold and prep it for further Plastex application in its new position on the fairing.

I have a 2001 Honda VFR800 on which I used this process to repair the right hand side fairings. Rebuilt an entire attachment point using the Plastex moulding bar technique. Good results, the Plastex material that is created in the fill-and-drip process seems to be very strong with great adhesion to the pre-existing fairing material. This was a year and a half ago, no signs of the repair aging badly or failing in any way.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 9th, 2018, 09:29 AM   #3
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Do you have broken off piece? I've fixed those easily:
  • Fill base with Bondo.
  • Then inserting bolt, head-first into Bondo and pushing all the way down hole.
  • More Bondo around bolt and into broken off piece.
  • Insert broken piece onto bolt, rotate so cracked seam lines up.
  • Smear Bondo around and over crack.
  • Let Bondo dry and sand lightly to smooth surface
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2018, 10:09 AM   #4
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Do you have broken off piece? I've fixed those easily:
  • Fill base with Bondo.
  • Then inserting bolt, head-first into Bondo and pushing all the way down hole.
  • More Bondo around bolt and into broken off piece.
  • Insert broken piece onto bolt, rotate so cracked seam lines up.
  • Smear Bondo around and over crack.
  • Let Bondo dry and sand lightly to smooth surface
Wouldn't you want an epoxy or ABS adhesive?

Bondo (body filler) doesn't have much in the way of strength.

I would definitely try to re-attach the broken tab if it's available.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2018, 10:51 AM   #5
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

The problem with glue along edge of crack is that there's not a lot of surface-area.
It will work, but not be as strong as something that fills structure solidly.

I wanted maximum strength for repair. That comes from metal bolt inside.
Bondo is just filler that transmits forces from outer plastic shell to inner bolt.
It's quite strong in compression when shape is circular and contained with no air-space to displace into.

Other solution is fibreglass resin with filler such as hollow glass-beads. Yes, definitely stronger than Bondo. Sometimes, I sweep floor and put in metal filings to reinforce Bondo or fibreglass resin.

Old May 11th, 2018, 08:56 AM   #6
isuoboe
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 1981 Honda CB125S, 2006 Ninja 250

Thanks for all your responses. They may come in handy in the future!!

The broken of tab was actually sitting in the rubber grommet where it belonged! I probably left it there on purpose years ago so it wouldn't get lost!

I cleaned the two parts with acetone (nail polish remover) and then repaired it with KWIK J-B WELD. It seems to have worked. (To me this is a sort of miracle. I no longer expect ANY glue type material to work other than when I use it the first time. This J-B WELD was who knows how old. The caps came of fine, and I just had to cut through a thin layer of hardened hardener to get to useable hardener!)

Thanks guys!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 11th, 2018, 11:33 AM   #7
DannoXYZ

Interesting, JB-weld is around 3000psi strength, would be interested to see how long this holds up.

Old May 11th, 2018, 02:36 PM   #8
Cafe Racer
ninjette.org member

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): Harley Fatboy, Honda CX500, Harley XL1200C Sportster, 305 Honda Dream, Ninja 250

I just fixed one of those today along with where the bolt that holds the bottom of the panel that the frame. The whole the bolt hole was broken off. I jammed a washer in the hole,held it in place with blue take. On the other side I made a little cylinder with blue tape and filled the hole with JB Weld. For the broken stud I screwed a brass screw into the plastic, and then made a cylinder with the blue tape. That got filled with JB Weld. After about 6 hours I hit them with a little sandpaper. Put the faring back and went for a hide. So far so good. It was over 90 today in St Augustine. Time to fire up the RV and go back to NJ for the summer.
Cafe Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2018, 10:23 AM   #9
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Interesting, JB-weld is around 3000psi strength, would be interested to see how long this holds up.
When I bought my 2006 the kid laid it down and did a ton of damage to the plastics on the right side. JB weld did an amazing job. On my second summer now after using it and no sign of coming loose. Just be careful it’s easy to get that junk all over the place but it’s amaxing even on the plastics where all the heat from the motor end up. I’d actually say it’s more secure than it was before the kid laid it down.
I’m in Illinois where the summers are brutal like 95 and humid at times. No issues.