ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 12th, 2018, 10:33 PM   #1
mikesomass
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250R

Had to leave the bike in a parking lot - Carb? Help?

Hey Ninja Experts. I hope you can help me out.

My bike has been running like, well, crap. Today I found one of the possible issues which was the air box boots were not connected to the carb.

I took the Carb out, cleaned it, and successfully connected the boots to the carb.

Started the bike up - Successes! Started 10X easier than before. The idle was no longer all over the place.

I took it out for 20 mins and it ran fantastic. Then when I tried to return home I started running into issues fairly quickly. The bike was severely bogging down.

A few blocks later, the bike would only respond if I fully opened the throttle. and then when I did that, the RPMs would hang high for quite a while. Now I can start it but can not use any throttle without it dieing.

I could not get it home due to the hills where I live so I left it and did the walk of shame home.

Tomorrow im heading out to try to get it running, or at least running enough to get home.

Given the symptoms (and my google'ing) It sounds like it may be clogged jets?. The Carb Jets were very clean before I even used Carb cleaner on them. I can do the processed again. Hopefully im overlooking something stupid simple? I'd prefer not taking out and cleaning a carb in a gravel parking lot.

Anyone have any thoughts?

tx,

Mike
mikesomass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2018, 05:34 AM   #2
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Fuel pump

Old May 13th, 2018, 06:21 AM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
It definitely sound like the carbs are not fully clean yet, and you may be getting dirt from the tank into them. Do you have an inline fuel filter between the tank and carbs?
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2018, 06:31 AM   #4
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
What exactly did you do to the carbs when you removed and cleaned them?

One thing I would check is that the vacuum line from the carb is connected to the petcock, and in good condition. Without vacuum to the petcock it will not flow fuel.

Photo - https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/File:Annotated_1.jpg
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2018, 08:07 AM   #5
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

In the last two years I've refurbished two motorcycles, a 1999 and a 2001. Both of them required the replacement of a lot of aging parts.

The problem people get into with older vehicles is being unwilling to replace items that the manufacturer (Kawasaki) considered "consumables". Sometimes it's best just to admit to yourself that old vehicles require maintenance and to accept that some parts don't last forever (that they weren't designed to last forever).

If you fight this inevitable reality of older-bike ownership you can find yourself in a spin-cycle of frustration, doing something like cleaning and re-cleaning your carbs over and over because that's what you've decided to believe is the problem when the truth is something else like a failing petcock and/or needing to have your carbs rebuilt (and I mean professionally rebuilt, complete new O-rings and seals and re-setting to factory specifications like Gordon/Ducatiman does, instead of just "cleaning" them again).
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2018, 10:49 AM   #6
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
thank you for the mention, @greg737

Modern ethanol fuels don't concentrate on any 1 internal carb system, rather attacks various, if not all carb subsystems that it inevitably contacts.

As a result.....ALL those subsystems must be considered, cleaned and "reset", and while you are in there, replacing all those consumables is critical (as greg noted). Concentrating on jets alone will usually end in failure and frustrating, repeat cleaning attempts requiring multiple carb R and R's (removal and replace).
ducatiman is online now   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2018, 05:18 PM   #7
mikesomass
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250R

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

I got it running again. After a bunch of trouble shooting it was the hose that goes from the tank to the carb. there is a screen in the end of that which was completely clogged. I replaced that with a spare hose and it booted up.

Next up I need to get an inline filter. I bought one a few days ago from a general auto shop. Told them I needed one for a bike but the thing is huge and has to be for a car. Time to go to a bike specific shop.

Thanks for the quick replies, I appreciate it.

Mike
mikesomass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2018, 09:36 PM   #8
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I like the little clear plastic filters with pleated paper elements. They're a dime a dozen on eBay. Some sintered metal ones are good and others let too much fine dirt through, so that's why I like the disposable paper type. Carry a spare in case one clogs up on a long ride.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2018, 04:21 AM   #9
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
i agree the "vw" style filters work. just make sure you take out the littke puny in line filter.

Old May 14th, 2018, 07:44 AM   #10
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesomass View Post
Thanks for all the replies, guys.

I got it running again. After a bunch of trouble shooting it was the hose that goes from the tank to the carb. there is a screen in the end of that which was completely clogged. I replaced that with a spare hose and it booted up.

Next up I need to get an inline filter. I bought one a few days ago from a general auto shop. Told them I needed one for a bike but the thing is huge and has to be for a car. Time to go to a bike specific shop.

Thanks for the quick replies, I appreciate it.

Mike
It will probably happen again.

Sounds like you should remove and completely drain and clean the tank.

Note that especially when you install any in-line fuel filter you need to be careful about making a low spot in the system (line) that can cause the fuel not to make it "uphill" to the carbs.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote