ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old August 6th, 2018, 09:56 AM   #41
gantt
ninjette.org sage

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): 2019 Ninja 400, Sold 2012 Ninja 650, Sold 2009 Ninja 250r, Sold 2007 DRZ400s

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Hi, for full Area P exhaust with stock airbox with snorkel delete, should start with following settings using DynoJet kit:

- 38 stock pilots, 2.5-turns out
- 98 DynoJet mains (slightly smaller than factory 98)
- middle clip position on needle

This should get you about +20% more airflow and +20% more power than stock. Will still be too rich in high-end, not as bad as stock though. Fiddle with pilot screws for idle & throttle-opening transition. Adjust needle clip +/- 1 as needed for mid-range/partial-throttle.
thanks!!
gantt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2018, 07:20 AM   #42
gantt
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2019 Ninja 400, Sold 2012 Ninja 650, Sold 2009 Ninja 250r, Sold 2007 DRZ400s

so i ran the bike yesterday, runs ok at idle, but within four minutes or so, as the engine warms up i start to see number two dropping out, ending in a dead cyl at number 2. pulled plugs, number 2 fouled a little, gap at .032 both plugs. swapped coils from cyl to cyl, so eliminated that. also noticed a ticking sound under the valve cover. started thinking maybe i didn't know what i was doing three or four years ago when i did the valve adjustment. pulled the valve cover and noticed some silver in my oil. never a good sign.

i couldn't do a full check, didn't have the correct feeler gauges at home, and engine was still warm. i am pretty sure the valve lash is too tight. i will do a full check today, i likely used too much effort of the gauges when sliding under cam lobe. i am used to adjusting valves on big 13 liter engines, and i must say its a different animal than these little motorcycle engines. i hope i have not done too much damage, cam lobes look ok, no scarring or pitting yet. hopefully i can adjust them correctly this time and move on. if not, i'll follow the adjustment with a compression test to see if i have caused any valve or valve seat damage. i did ride the bike about 40 miles after the adjustment was done, and it started running bad enough for me to have my wife bring the truck and i towed it home.
so looks like i may have messed up.. oh well, will figure out whats bad, and make needed repairs and keep rolling along to get this ole girl on the roads again.
on a lighter note, both tires came in, and Saturday is creeping closer, with @maverick9611 coming with fork know-how and tools for help me replace the springs and seals. most other parts ordered should be here by week-end. lets keep our fingers crossed that a simple valve adjustment will correct my problems!!

Old August 9th, 2018, 02:32 AM   #43
gantt
ninjette.org sage

Checked the valve lash, some intakes are loose, some exhaust are tight. No damage to cam lobes. Going to swap out shims today, and I think I'll do a cyl leak down test while I'm at it. To see if I damaged the valves or valve seats.
My airbox and drop in k&n filter came in yesterday.

Old August 9th, 2018, 04:28 PM   #44
gantt
ninjette.org sage

Went be my local shop today, got all but three shims. @maverick9611 is saving the day with his shim kit Saturday.
The fork oil and seals came in. And a slick looking rear cowl.

Old August 9th, 2018, 09:29 PM   #45
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Hmmm try scoping waveforms from ignition-box and seeing how they change as everything warms up. Yeah those are known for wonky RPM display when hot. Also many cases of one channel failing... sometimes permanently.

I guess swapping in know-good ignition box is one way to test.

Would be interesting to see leakdown results.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2018, 04:37 AM   #46
gantt
ninjette.org sage

lots of work on the bike this weekend. @maverick9611 came over saturday and we rebuilt the forks, new race-tech springs, new seals. super cool dude, with some trick oil level tools. after he left, i installed my shims, rechecked lash, and reassembled the valve cover. filled the coolant, ran it through two heat cycles to help burp it. removed the rear tail, and battery box. installed the airbox, a firm hand was needed. cleaned and slipped the k&n filter in, ran the bike down the road. feels ok, a little fat up top, have not adjusted anything yet. main is dj98, needle on third clip, air screws are 2 3/4 out. about three miles into the ride, the engine suddenly lost power, would brabble and spit, then clear up and haul tail. i had a stoner moment or something last week. i forgot to install the inline fuel filter and ran the engine for a minute or two. the screen in the petcock is removed and i am going to take another look but i think the carb inlet filter is removed as well. feels like i am getting a piece of trash on a jet, and sometimes it falls off, then the bike runs strong. so will remove bowls and see if i see any debris, filter is already installed now. might swap to 96 mains and see how that does while the carbs are out. man this little 250 sounds awesome blowing through the area p quite core. mmhhh.
still need to spoon the new shoe's on, and my wife is getting a tag for it this week. hoping to make a shake down run in a week or so, and start riding to work, want to work all the kinks out before i take this thing out of state.

Old August 22nd, 2018, 04:24 AM   #47
gantt
ninjette.org sage

worked on the bike for a couple hours yesterday. i found a split in a vacuum line, repaired that and the bike was responding so much better. had dj 98's clip on third groove and seemed pretty flat wide open throttle. swapped to 100's on main, still third clip. pulled harder in high rpms, but still feels a little flat. screws are turned out 2 3/4 turns, bike is running rich at idle, can smell it. have a 90 degree screwdriver ordered so i can adjust the screws without struggling and going into a self induced rage.
planning on tuning with the 100's. get it the best i can, then swap to 98's and retune and compare. pulling the carbs with the air box in is a little work, but not too bad. hoping to spoon some tires on it this week, and i need a current tag. fixing to be riding this bike, been over three years, can't wait to get it finished. i'll snap some pics of my method to break the bead on tires. lol

Old August 25th, 2018, 06:06 AM   #48
gantt
ninjette.org sage

Ordered this, came in yesterday. Should make adjusting the mixture screws much easier. Rear tire installed. Might get around to the front today. Wife has been sick, for three weeks now. And mom has a birthday today so schedule is pretty full. Still don't have a tag yet, county seat is 25 miles away and I'd have to take time off work to get the tag. Insurance started yesterday.
This exhaust really does a lot for the little 250 engine. Sounds so much better than the wheezy stock can did. Lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7349.jpg (118.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7351.JPG (16.5 KB, 3 views)

Old August 27th, 2018, 07:59 AM   #49
gantt
ninjette.org sage

def too fat with the dyno jet 100's. i figured so, but wanted to be sure. will go back down to 98, then maybe 96 mains. kinda jumped the gun by putting the fairings on. i had to modify the angled screwdriver to make the bit protrude far enough to reach the mixture screws. but works fine.
took the bike on its first real ride since 2015. 15 miles around the house. i live out in the sticks, so all country back roads. runs good. Racetech springs for oh so good. new Michelin Pilot Street's feel great. i wish i had gotten the bar end mirrors that clamp to the bar end weights. i opted for the other style, and regret not having weighted ends anymore. still less buzz feeling than my stock 650 has. that thing will put your hands and feet to sleep in a hurry!!
buying a battery tomorrow, and getting a tag for it.
going to ride to work on it for a while, and put the 650 down for its long overdue valve adjustment. its only got 26,000 miles. a little over ten thousand over due
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7352.jpg (114.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7354.jpg (214.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7353.jpg (103.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7358.jpg (170.3 KB, 3 views)

Old August 27th, 2018, 09:48 AM   #50
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Whooo!!!! back on the road!!!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote