ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old February 19th, 2013, 03:35 AM   #1
arnoldc6
ninjette.org member

Name: Arnold

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r

What is the normal operating engine temperature?

So basically two days ago when i was riding on my way home the right side of my bike became very hot. My guess would be that it's at 50-65 degrees(122-149 fahrenheit).It has gotten to a point that my leg don't feel comfortable hugging the tank at all.
It can't be the tail wind and exhaust gas cause i was constantly making turns.
I was at third gears about 8k rev and it shouldnt be that hot.
It runs fines yesterday but on my way home from work today it happens again. It weren't that hot but both side of the bike seems to be hotter than normal.
Does anyone know what could've cause this?

I weren't low on engine oil too, although its about time for an oil change.

Old February 19th, 2013, 05:31 AM   #2
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoldc6 View Post
So basically two days ago when i was riding on my way home the right side of my bike became very hot. My guess would be that it's at 50-65 degrees(122-149 fahrenheit).It has gotten to a point that my leg don't feel comfortable hugging the tank at all.
It can't be the tail wind and exhaust gas cause i was constantly making turns.
I was at third gears about 8k rev and it shouldnt be that hot.
It runs fines yesterday but on my way home from work today it happens again. It weren't that hot but both side of the bike seems to be hotter than normal.

Without know what your actual temp was at its hard to say. My Koso dash has a temp sensor and when my cooling system was stock it would run at 155degs in anything below 80deg weather. The thermostat keeps it a least that hot and the your ambient temp goes up then the stat opens completly and you cooling system work 100% to regulate the temp. Even when it was 110deg outside I've never seen about 180degs while cruising down the highway.

Fast forward to 4 months ago I install a thermo bob with an installed 195deg stat so its basically the same deal but my bike never drops below 190 and I've never seen it go above 190 unless I've been idling at a stop for several minutes.

What color is your bike and what kind of leg covering(pants, shorts) where you whearing?

Normal operating temp for most gasolin motors is above 150 degs because that's the minimum temp for optimal performance.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 08:49 AM   #3
Chicagobob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250, 2018 Honda GL1800B

Most engines are designed to run at 180F (warmer for newer emissions motors). My '06 usually runs between 150 and 175.
Chicagobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 08:54 AM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Check for air trapped in the coolant system.

Some days I am sensitive to it, others not so much. Drink more water and have a bit of salt on your food.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 10:29 AM   #5
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoldc6 View Post
.....It has gotten to a point that my leg don't feel comfortable hugging the tank at all.
....I was at third gears about 8k rev and it shouldn't be that hot.

Why are you hugging the tank? If you find thank you need to sit close to the tank and it gets to hot for you, consider a tank bra.

For a normal riding position you should not need to hug the tank. Hugging the tank during commuting can be a sign that your are not comfortable nor confident on the bike. Which indicates that you may be too rigid in your riding posture. You should be squarely on the seat with feet firmly planted on the pegs. Your core should be providing the stability for your upper body and your arms a shoulders proving a lot of the steering input and a little shock absorption/stability. For some riders, hugging the tank can hider their ability to raise themselves off the seat should they need to if going over bumps or dips. Also hugging the tank can prevent you from shifting your position on the seat if you are riding twisties where the turns are a little sharper.

Does your bike sit in the sun all day? Parking in the shade or keeping a cover on the bike can help keep metal surfaces cooler.

Keeping the fuel tank full and out of direct sunlight as much as possible will help keep the tank a little cooler. Gas inside the tank can cool the metal as long as it is not subjected to direct heat

Why and how long were you traveling at 8k in third gear? One of the reasons you have gears is to reduce the amount of load and rpms on the engine. You can easily cruise at 40-45mph in 4th or 5th gear and still have enough power to pull away. Reducing your rpm speed can also reduce heat producing friction. At lower speed, low air flow can have an affect on cooling. The bike needs adequate air flow across the engine and through the radiator. So it is possible for the engine to have a little higher than normal temp in stop and go and slow moving traffic. Keep in mind exhaust temps at the engine can reach up 400 degrees faren. just a couple of feet away from you.

Good engine oil provides a good deal of engine cooling. So keeping the oil changed regularly and frequently is a good thing especially if you constantly run high rpms in high ambient temps. Also keep in mind that the exhaust runs under the right side of the bike.

When was the last time the coolant was checked/changed? you should at least change the coolant in the reservoir in between coolant replacement.
Coolant in the reservoir is not completely air tight and is exposed to air. In a pressurized system it is not. The ethylene glycol breaks down over time and becomes oxidized.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 10:31 AM   #6
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
but what if you ride side-saddle?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 19th, 2013, 10:44 AM   #7
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
but what if you ride side-saddle?
Move to Thailand.

Or get one of these

Old February 19th, 2013, 10:46 AM   #8
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i heard that you can actually get a wreckless ticket for riding a motorcycle side-saddle in america

Old February 19th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #9
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i heard that you can actually get a wreckless ticket for riding a motorcycle side-saddle in america
I know the cops here were giving guys on scooters tickets for doing it.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Accident waiting to happen in the states.

Old February 19th, 2013, 02:16 PM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
When you say side of the bike, do you refer to the engine or to the metal tank or to the plastic fairings covering the bike or to a blast of hot air?

It always happens in your way back home; at what time is that and in what direction of travel approximately (South to North)?
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 02:50 PM   #11
arnoldc6
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Why are you hugging the tank? If you find thank you need to sit close to the tank and it gets to hot for you, consider a tank bra.

For a normal riding position you should not need to hug the tank. Hugging the tank during commuting can be a sign that your are not comfortable nor confident on the bike. Which indicates that you may be too rigid in your riding posture. You should be squarely on the seat with feet firmly planted on the pegs. Your core should be providing the stability for your upper body and your arms a shoulders proving a lot of the steering input and a little shock absorption/stability. For some riders, hugging the tank can hider their ability to raise themselves off the seat should they need to if going over bumps or dips. Also hugging the tank can prevent you from shifting your position on the seat if you are riding twisties where the turns are a little sharper.

Does your bike sit in the sun all day? Parking in the shade or keeping a cover on the bike can help keep metal surfaces cooler.

Keeping the fuel tank full and out of direct sunlight as much as possible will help keep the tank a little cooler. Gas inside the tank can cool the metal as long as it is not subjected to direct heat

Why and how long were you traveling at 8k in third gear? One of the reasons you have gears is to reduce the amount of load and rpms on the engine. You can easily cruise at 40-45mph in 4th or 5th gear and still have enough power to pull away. Reducing your rpm speed can also reduce heat producing friction. At lower speed, low air flow can have an affect on cooling. The bike needs adequate air flow across the engine and through the radiator. So it is possible for the engine to have a little higher than normal temp in stop and go and slow moving traffic. Keep in mind exhaust temps at the engine can reach up 400 degrees faren. just a couple of feet away from you.

Good engine oil provides a good deal of engine cooling. So keeping the oil changed regularly and frequently is a good thing especially if you constantly run high rpms in high ambient temps. Also keep in mind that the exhaust runs under the right side of the bike.

When was the last time the coolant was checked/changed? you should at least change the coolant in the reservoir in between coolant replacement.
Coolant in the reservoir is not completely air tight and is exposed to air. In a pressurized system it is not. The ethylene glycol breaks down over time and becomes oxidized.

Whoa this here is a lot of knowledge. I guess i misunderstand the phase hugging tank..i meant to say i was sitting down with my legs pressed against the tank.
I will look into the coolant system too, i never realise i have such thing in my bike that i need to service.

Old February 19th, 2013, 02:53 PM   #12
arnoldc6
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
What color is your bike and what kind of leg covering(pants, shorts) where you whearing?

Normal operating temp for most gasolin motors is above 150 degs because that's the minimum temp for optimal performance.
It's a black 09'. I rode shorts that day too which is pretty abnormal for me..

Thanks for all the help guys.

Old February 19th, 2013, 11:28 PM   #13
lindasninja
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Linda

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250J

I took of the fairing and molded some flashing tape, aka aluminum tape into a bit of a ridge to try redirect some of the airflow on mine, as I have has a baked leg before a few times! I do ride up near the tank, it’s that, or don’t turn, a bit short, so closer is far better to get bent elbows! Opted to ride in leather pants regardless of temp because of it to, till I did the tape, helped a little, but not fantastic, sprayed all the pipes with washing liquid and water couldn’t see any air leeks either. Most import is to check to see if the oil is overfilled if so, get it out, makes it run waaaaayyyyy hotter! Good luck!
lindasninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2013, 03:02 AM   #14
ninja250r81
ninjette.org guru

Name: scott

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250r se

check the dipstick in the circle to see if the coolant is at the correct level
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 07010355_sm.jpg (37.3 KB, 3 views)
ninja250r81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2013, 09:58 AM   #15
lindasninja
ninjette.org newbie

Yep done that, but mine was serviced and the ‘others’ involved in this added extra oil, who told me running this hot was perfectly normal!! Made sure the coolant was burped, tried all these things, regardless makes sense to always check levels etc.! After it was stuffed so badly at 1000ks! I decided was time to make sure at the least oil changes are done right!
Good point on perhaps being so close to the tank, build’s up the heat, and shorts are kind of asking for It, but I had Kevlar denims on, and when it gets hot its really hot, like burning! Riding at rev range of 6, in say 50kph areas is a guarantee to get this to happen! Assume it’s not getting enough airflow; anyone had troubles with thermostat coming on too late, or temps set to high, is this worth checking?
Mine only has a red self-destruct imminent light, so it’s a bit of a worry! I have to get valves done soon so, going elsewhere for that, and that’s beyond me at this point! But has been hot like this sometimes, from about 500ks, mind you first 500 weren’t really quick, as I real sucked at riding, still sort of do but now, I blend a bit, and care not cause its fantastic!

Old February 20th, 2013, 02:23 PM   #16
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

If your fan is coming on while idling in traffic. It may be normal. When the coolant temperature goes up beyond 96 ∼ 100°C (205 ∼ 212°F), the radiator fan switch turns on the radiator fan. The radiator fan draws air through the radiator core when there is not sufficient air flow such as at low speeds. This increases up the cooling action of the radiator. When the temperature is below 91°C (196°F), the fan turns off.

Feeling heat radiating off the engine is not a call to panic. Bigger bikes do this all the time and worse. as long as your fan is turning on your systems is working the way it should.

The Water Temperature Warning Indicator Light may come on temporarily if the engine is really hot or the oil/pressure is too low. It may do it just before the fan turns on or air flow is improved. It is normal for the bikes to get this hot.

When the bike is actually overheating, you will hear and see coolant coming from the bottom of the bike. It may sound like a whooshing or boiling sound. That is hot coolant being force into the reservoir. If this happens after 10 minutes or so of riding, you probably have a bad radiator cap the is longer holding the recommended pressure.

Severe cases of overheating can result in the engine making a nasty knocking noise, run poorly and eventually seize. This is the time to panic.

Old February 21st, 2013, 01:30 AM   #17
lindasninja
ninjette.org newbie

Love it! Seized engine this is the time to panic, might well take that onboard! No mines usually ok in traffic hot days, and lots of stops I expect it to be hot! But this riding around in 50kph zones like slow speed stuff and still getting some air. Will also do it at high speeds if I nail it to get round a few cars it also takes a little while, to cool after. But when I had an oil overfill it was far hotter all the time it popped the cap on the coolant res! Was new bike, new rider, figured out what was wrong, dumped oil, and changed it, only had maybe 150ks on the oil and oil was black as too! Never missed a beat since, now at 5500 so big services soon! But the heat when you give it a bit has always been! Right hand upper fairing opening! Also exhaust extractor pipe is real close on the faring too that side put heat shield as it was melting a bit, so could be a of center weld for the pipe so kicks out the heat more!?