ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 9th, 2013, 08:28 PM   #1
deanomyte
ninjette.org member

Name: dean

Motorcycle(s): 99 honda rebel/ 04 ninjette

Normal operating temp

I know the ninjette's are famous for being cold blooded, but I'm new to them and was wondering what the normal operating temp is? Also, what temp is considered overheating on these bikes?
deanomyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
200F.

normal coolant boils around 250F

Old September 9th, 2013, 09:09 PM   #3
deanomyte
ninjette.org member

So if 200 is the normal operating temp, what is the overheat temp? 215? 225?

Old September 9th, 2013, 09:15 PM   #4
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I think I just read the fan kicks on at 220*, but not entirely sure if that is accurate or if that applies to only one or both the generations. I'm trying to get my newgen hot enough to run the fan but gave up.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2013, 10:05 PM   #5
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

Name: Asspyre

Motorcycle(s): 08 250RRrrrr

Fan comes on at 210 for me on my temp gauge
Asspire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2013, 06:16 AM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanomyte View Post
I know the ninjette's are famous for being cold blooded, but I'm new to them and was wondering what the normal operating temp is? Also, what temp is considered overheating on these bikes?
Normal operating temperature depends on where it is measured, on the regime of work and on the rate of cooling.
The combustion chamber has the highest.
Open throttle means higher pressure and temps.
High rpms at low speed overloads the cooling system.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Cooling_system

The cool blood is due to the mix being regulated by the manufacturer on the lean side in order to comply with EPA restrictions.
When carburetor's and head's metal parts are cool, the vaporized gasoline in the mix condenses over those, making the mix reaching the combustion chamber way too lean.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2013, 09:57 AM   #7
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

The legendary cold-bloodedness of many of Kawasaki's motorcycles (why they run so cold in cold weather) is due to the overly-simple design of their cooling systems. In a lot of their lower-end models Kawasaki has chosen to use a very rudimentary plumbing. And besides running too cold in cold weather this type of cooling system causes some rather negative effects on the engine's thermal characteristics and this affects its efficiency and longevity.

One person in particular who has done research on this situation is Bill at watt-man.com He's the guy who has developed the Thermo-Bob modification that can be used to fix the cooling system shortfalls in several Kawasaki models.

Here's his analysis of what's going on in one of Kawasaki's cooling systems (a KLR 650 which has the same cooling system plumbing as the EX-250): http://www.watt-man.com/uploads/TB_Testing.pdf

I don't know if you have the interest and patience to read and understand what Bill is demonstrating in this PDF file, but it pretty well explains the dynamics of the EX-250's cooling system and the shortfalls and drawbacks to such a design.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2013, 05:48 PM   #8
GREY NINJA
ninjette.org member

Name: ninja

Motorcycle(s): 2002 ninja 250

Should have a temp. gauge
GREY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2013, 12:59 AM   #9
deanomyte
ninjette.org member

Wow!! Thanks for the info guys. I really appreciate it. I'm just getting the bike back on the road so this is greatly appreciated.

Old September 11th, 2013, 06:20 AM   #10
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
The legendary cold-bloodedness of many of Kawasaki's motorcycles (why they run so cold in cold weather) is due to the overly-simple design of their cooling systems. In a lot of their lower-end models Kawasaki has chosen to use a very rudimentary plumbing. And besides running too cold in cold weather this type of cooling system causes some rather negative effects on the engine's thermal characteristics and this affects its efficiency and longevity.

One person in particular who has done research on this situation is Bill at watt-man.com He's the guy who has developed the Thermo-Bob modification that can be used to fix the cooling system shortfalls in several Kawasaki models.

Here's his analysis of what's going on in one of Kawasaki's cooling systems (a KLR 650 which has the same cooling system plumbing as the EX-250): http://www.watt-man.com/uploads/TB_Testing.pdf

I don't know if you have the interest and patience to read and understand what Bill is demonstrating in this PDF file, but it pretty well explains the dynamics of the EX-250's cooling system and the shortfalls and drawbacks to such a design.
Great info. I wonder how much of it would be over engineering for the 250.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2013, 08:20 AM   #11
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

I put one on my EX-250, love the difference it makes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LD0IpbRWcw
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote