ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old September 17th, 2009, 01:01 AM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Can you easily clean up the square headlight? Reflective stickers to "reshape" it?

The classic look is nice but the square headlight and double-jointed mirrors are an eyesore. Is there any way to make it look more... modern? There are probably no shortage of aftermarket mirrors and, if it comes down to it, even bar-enders will do, so my primary concern here is cleaning up the headlight.

On a black bike it doesn't look so bad because the flat line that is created where the windscreen meets the headlight is black, thus, "body-colored," but it's still boxy/angular on the bottom.

Any ideas/products which can fix this? For example, I was thinking of body-colored stickers with reflective backing that can make them appear to be shaped more like the current-gen's "cartoon eyes." The reflective backing would bounce the light back in the chamber where it will ultimately be reflected back out the slightly-smaller opening, so it shouldn't be a significant decrease in visibility. Anyone know where I could find such a material? I know I've seen static-stickers to cover the current-gen's light for trackdays.

There's always that Ducati 999 fairing mod with the cycloptic headlight.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2009, 11:09 AM   #2
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I figured I'd go ahead and see what it looked like with a Ninja 500R-shaped headlight beceause it's easier to mock-up with MSPAINT and it matches the bike a bit better. While I was at it, Grn99Kawi/Adam's Zero Gravity double-bubble windscreen gave me an idea...

An improvement? Those mirrors have still got to go though.

Old September 17th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #3
CZroe
CPT Falcon

I see someone has already done me one better in the headlight and mirrors department...

It looks like it is/was for sale but the dude's description doesn't mention it (DIY? Product?).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg improvedmirrorsandheadlight.jpg (132.0 KB, 1922 views)

Old September 17th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #4
Verus Cidere
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

Happy birthday!

MIRRORS:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/INTEG...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHROM...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawas...Q5fAccessories

HEADLIGHT:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawas...=p4506.c0.m245

It should be noted that the descriptions for most of these products say "1987 - 2010" for fitment. You'd probably want to contact the seller. Either way, there's pretty much what you're looking for. I think the headlight mesh is the same thing that other guy used, he just cut some out. Hope that helps!

Old September 17th, 2009, 11:47 PM   #5
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verus Cidere View Post
Happy birthday!

MIRRORS:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/INTEG...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHROM...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawas...Q5fAccessories

HEADLIGHT:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawas...=p4506.c0.m245

It should be noted that the descriptions for most of these products say "1987 - 2010" for fitment. You'd probably want to contact the seller. Either way, there's pretty much what you're looking for. I think the headlight mesh is the same thing that other guy used, he just cut some out. Hope that helps!
Thanks.

Yeah, seeing the mirrors on eBay is what prompted me to look for images of them installed where I found that bike. As for the screen/mesh on the headlight, are you sure that's all?

I see that he has viewported it to look like two headlights and there is a screen over all of THAT. It's actually what's underneath the screen that interests me most. Even then, I don't think it would look good on anything but black bikes, but the concept could be applied.

Back to the party.

Old September 18th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #6
Verus Cidere

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

I'm not sure if that's all the possibilities for it, that's just all I found. I think it's just a sheet of material. I don't think your worry about reflective backing would be a problem though, 'cause the light is supposed to go through this stuff.

Old November 16th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #7
sprale
Dead-thread Necromancer!

Name: Levon

Motorcycle(s): K5 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I see someone has already done me one better in the headlight and mirrors department...

It looks like it is/was for sale but the dude's description doesn't mention it (DIY? Product?).
For that "I wish I'd bought a Wee Strom" look.
sprale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Saw this painted bike online with the windscreen and headlight painted right over and it gave me a good idea of how you could clean it up with the stock windscreen shape. I suck too bad with MSPAINT to try anything cool with the headlight.

It looks like painting right over it and then outlining a false screen shape with vinyl for that "blacked out" look can work really well, as long as you aren't painting the bike black.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 250_painted_windscreen.jpg (13.3 KB, 553 views)
File Type: jpg 250_painted_windscreen_outlined.jpg (62.9 KB, 1252 views)

Old March 9th, 2012, 11:04 PM   #9
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
This might be something that you're interested in

http://www.amazon.com/Lockhart-Phill...1359399&sr=8-1
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #10
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
This might be something that you're interested in

http://www.amazon.com/Lockhart-Phill...1359399&sr=8-1
Yep. You can get some from SkullSkins.net as well. Personally, I want to try an Airtech fairing with a custom cut headlight opening and matched paint. I'd want to attach the windscreen before painting without the bolt heads protruding but I'm not sure how to do that without some push-in rubber or plastic fasteners that I can sand down. Not sure I would be comfortable with the fit (velcro underneath? ).

Old March 10th, 2012, 09:44 PM   #11
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Why couldn't you just make bracket/adjuster things that mount your custom headlights at the right place just like the oem fairings/headlight? That way, you can just cut a hole in the airtech fairing, and make a bracket to get the lights in the right place.

Old March 10th, 2012, 09:48 PM   #12
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Why couldn't you just make bracket/adjuster things that mount your custom headlights at the right place just like the oem fairings/headlight? That way, you can just cut a hole in the airtech fairing, and make a bracket to get the lights in the right place.
Exactly what I intend to do. Airtech even suggests making a custom-shaped headlight when cutting it.

Old March 10th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #13
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
pictures when done

Old March 11th, 2012, 01:10 AM   #14
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
pictures when done
Until I get the loan approved, it's just a pipe-dream.

When it happens though, you betcha!

Old March 12th, 2012, 01:24 PM   #15
Xer0-
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 06 250 rat, 20 400 krt

Does any one know what type of mirrors those are in the pic of the black one?
His description only says "Fairing mounted race mirrors".

Thanks

Edit :

Quote:
same installation process shown here:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=452505

fairing mounted just means that they're normally connected to the actual fairing and then the fairing is attached to the bike like on new bikes vs the method the pregen uses where the mirror attaches to a mounting bracket on the frame.

I think you misunderstand . I want to know what mirrors those are i like the style.
Xer0- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #16
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xer0- View Post
His description only says "Fairing mounted race mirrors".
same installation process shown here:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=452505

fairing mounted just means that they're normally connected to the actual fairing and then the fairing is attached to the bike like on new bikes vs the method the pregen uses where the mirror attaches to a mounting bracket on the frame.

Old March 12th, 2012, 01:48 PM   #17
Luvninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Gabriela

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250

The headlight didn't bother me much at first, but like a lot of people I just wanted a more modern look for the front. This is what I did to my 2005 ninja, I still kept it's original fairings since they were perfect.

It's not a great picture, I still have some work to do on it. I'm actually thinking of modding an extra front fairing, it would look similar, same headlight and turn signals but just an improved fairing with a different opening for the windshield.

Luvninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2012, 02:20 PM   #18
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvninja View Post
The headlight didn't bother me much at first, but like a lot of people I just wanted a more modern look for the front. This is what I did to my 2005 ninja, I still kept it's original fairings since they were perfect.

It's not a great picture, I still have some work to do on it. I'm actually thinking of modding an extra front fairing, it would look similar, same headlight and turn signals but just an improved fairing with a different opening for the windshield.

That looks amazing! What headlight did you use and how did you mount it? CustomSeatCreations.com does have a silver cowl-line vinyl seat cover much like the OEM silver 2006 EX650. I'd like to see that.

Old March 12th, 2012, 02:29 PM   #19
Luvninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Gabriela

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
That looks amazing! What headlight did you use and how did you mount it? CustomSeatCreations.com does have a silver cowl-line vinyl seat cover much like the OEM silver 2006 EX650. I'd like to see that.
I used the new gens headlight. I tried to avoid using it but all other headlights were HUGE and needed way to much work on the fairing.

As of right now the headlight is not really mounted. It kind of sits on the headlight bracket and is held in place by the fairing, it doesn't move or budge, but I am trying to figure out how to mount it on the bracket so I can take the fairing off without having to adjust the headlight every time.

It's hard to tell on that picture but the color is more of a light gold-ish with some green.

Also, it was a lot of work lol. Big pain, but it was worth it.
Luvninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2012, 02:37 PM   #20
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Makes me wonder if the similarly-shaped but smaller one in a KLX250SF is too small. Might be a bit easier. Yours looks awesome though!

Old March 12th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #21
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xer0- View Post
I think you misunderstand . I want to know what mirrors those are i like the style.
OHHH ok gotcha. They're likely just universal sport bike mirrors. My bad

The process for install will still be the same though

Old March 12th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #22
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
OHHH ok gotcha. They're likely just universal sport bike mirrors. My bad

The process for install will still be the same though
Yup. I see them all over. D2Moto.com or eBay, for example.

Old March 14th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #23
ninjamama7
ninjette.org member

Name: dawn

Motorcycle(s): 02 ninja 250r

I don't know about the mirrors...but the headlight would be an easy fix in two ways. I've seen my hubs do it to other bikes so I imagine it's the same for Ninjas.

1. Get some kitty hair bondo...works like bondo, but it's got some give to it so the vibrations from the bike don't crack it. And a tube of plastic putty (plastic parts putty). You can find it at most car part stores. Pull off your front fairing that surrounds the headlight. Now this may sound weird...but hang with me...lol. Go to your local Lowes, and check out the thin plexi glass. The thinnest version will work just fine because you're going to build it up with the kitty hair. Make a template with some paper in the shape you want to make the headlight look...say a "V" shape. Use a dremel tool (or get the Lowes guy to cut it for you), after you scribe or use a marker to trace the shape onto the plexi-glass. Make sure you leave enough on the flat edge, to lay over the edge of the faring or you will not have any way to attach it to the faring...say a half inch to be safe. Pre drill holes in plexi and farings...be CAREFUL...sloooww is the name of the game. Attach the plexi to the faring over the edge of the top part of the light hole. Now...mix the kitty hair as per the can instructions (add a little extra of the hardener if it's humid where you live...or it will take FOREVER to dry). Spread kitty hair over where two edges meet to make that connection line disappear. You don't have to be too neat, you're going to sand it. And don't build it up tooooo much. Once it's on, let it dry completely, and sand it (you may need a hand sander). Now lay a thin layer of the plastic putty over the entire thing. Let it dry and sand it between layers. You'll want a couple of layers so you can form the edges around the headlight smooth. Then once that's done, paint the faring to match. My hubs usually has people want their wind screen the same color as the bike...it looks really nice that way...but you don't have to do it that way.

2. Second choice is to take your headlight off. And tape it up in the shape you want it to be. Tape the part you want light to show thru. You can do a "V", evil eyes, circles...etc. Then, use a heat resistant spray paint and paint the untaped part of the headlight. Spray a clear sealer on it (you can find it in the car paint section of the car parts stores). The hubs has done this then used clear he uses to paint bikes and cars with and puts a small amount of black car paint in the clear to "smoke" out the light a little bit. This looks great with HID lights...

Okay...there's two ways I've seen it done. I decided to leave mine since my farings were so messed up that my hubs was on the verge of crazy from repairing them for me. One less thing for him to mess with...lol.

Old March 15th, 2012, 04:51 AM   #24
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamama7 View Post
Good info.
I'm guessing that he needs to paint the whole fairing to match his covers, right?

Old March 15th, 2012, 07:27 PM   #25
ninjamama7
ninjette.org member

Name: dawn

Motorcycle(s): 02 ninja 250r

Yes...unless he's really good at painting and can blend it...which can be done.

Old March 16th, 2012, 12:08 AM   #26
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvninja View Post

HOLY. CRAP. DIY now, por favor!
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2014, 02:47 PM   #27
CZroe
CPT Falcon

I'm updating this thread so that I'll be able to easily find the work I did in another thread. Of course, I've continued working on a nice way to do this with the original headlight and came up with a few ideas. Here's a preview:

The area within the headlight outline is all lens.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...964#post876964

On my black bike I would make the headlight outline solid green, the headlight mesh green, and the carbon fiber just black (blends with the rest of the fairing).

Last futzed with by CZroe; June 9th, 2014 at 05:12 PM.