ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old February 24th, 2011, 09:16 AM   #1
Inksplat
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): None Yet

Helmet help! (Sizing issue/Scorpion AirFit question)

Alright, so, here's my problem:

Yesterday I went to a local shop and tried on some Scorpion EXO-700 helmets. The helmet I'm actually looking to buy, however, is the EXO-750.

Measurements put my head at 62cm, almost exactly, but I have a pretty round face.

Now, when trying on the XL 700, I took it off almost immediately, because it felt so tight around my cheeks. The XXL wasn't a huge improvement. I then tried a XXXL they had, and that one finally felt better, but still noticeable against my cheeks.

The 750, however, has the AirFit system, which uses inflated pads around the face and neck to allow for a custom fit. Does anyone have any experience with this? Does anyone think it'll help?

Mainly what I'm looking for is which size I should go for when I order online. Should I start with the XL since that's technically the size my head measurement puts me in, or since I'm so borderline, should I go for the XXL?

One thing that makes this so tough is that I'm in the process of losing weight, so while my forehead isn't going to change, my cheeks definitely are going to be losing some of their roundness.

So would my best bet be to ignore how my cheeks feel to a certain degree for the moment and mostly focus on how it fits the upper-areas of my face? Though I guess if the AirFit system works, it'll solve my problem.
Inksplat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2011, 09:33 AM   #2
Blackwidow
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

helmets are like shoes, their tough in the beginning but later form to your feet. So if you get a helmet thats a little snug, which is probably what you should be getting, eventually it will form to your face. its better to have a tight fit helmet then a lose one.

Old February 24th, 2011, 10:49 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Don't buy anything online on a guess. Make sure that the fit is as perfect as it's going to get before spending the money. And if you're in a local shop doing all that work and having their salespeople help you find what works best for you, consider supporting them directly rather than running home to save $20 online. If there were no local helmet shops, there wouldn't be anyplace to try them on in the first place.

For the fit itself, it really does vary from individual to individual, and from helmet design to helmet design. It should fit snugly all the way around your head. If you shake your head back and forth sideways, the helmet should not move at all against your skin. If you try and push it forward/roll it forward off your head from the back, it should not move.

This doesn't mean that it should be uncomfortable, overly tight, cause headaches, cause pressure point with redness, etc. But it needs to be snug. A good portion of new riders buy a helmet that is too large, because it feels more comfortable in the store. This is where a knowledgeable salesperson can really help and get you into something that is both comfortable and safe. I don't know about the Exo-700's, but many helmets have optional cheekpads of different sizes that can be put into the same size helmets, to optimize the fit.

There's a good video that an Arai exec did with Jay Leno awhile back about helmet fit, check it out. Jay though he was an XL, but if I remember correctly he turned out to be a M.

Link to original page on YouTube.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2011, 11:15 AM   #4
Inksplat
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): None Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Don't buy anything online on a guess. Make sure that the fit is as perfect as it's going to get before spending the money. And if you're in a local shop doing all that work and having their salespeople help you find what works best for you, consider supporting them directly rather than running home to save $20 online. If there were no local helmet shops, there wouldn't be anyplace to try them on in the first place.

For the fit itself, it really does vary from individual to individual, and from helmet design to helmet design. It should fit snugly all the way around your head. If you shake your head back and forth sideways, the helmet should not move at all against your skin. If you try and push it forward/roll it forward off your head from the back, it should not move.

This doesn't mean that it should be uncomfortable, overly tight, cause headaches, cause pressure point with redness, etc. But it needs to be snug. A good portion of new riders buy a helmet that is too large, because it feels more comfortable in the store. This is where a knowledgeable salesperson can really help and get you into something that is both comfortable and safe. I don't know about the Exo-700's, but many helmets have optional cheekpads of different sizes that can be put into the same size helmets, to optimize the fit.

There's a good video that an Arai exec did with Jay Leno awhile back about helmet fit, check it out. Jay though he was an XL, but if I remember correctly he turned out to be a M.
I'll check that video out.

And also, it wasn't that I wanted to run home and save $20, it was simply that they didn't have the helmet I wanted to try. I didn't see any 750's or 1000s, which are the ones that have the AirFit.

That's more the issue with me going online--I went in there planning to support the local shop, but in the end they didn't have the jacket/helmet/boots I was after.

I mean, I still plan to buy my bike + gloves from them at the minimum, but its hard to buy things from the local store if they don't have them in stock.
Inksplat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #5
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

scorpion tend to fit an oval head better than a round head. you may ultimately need to go with a different brand. however, the airfit system may make all the difference. i have an exo-700 and love it. imo, scorpion offers the best features/quality/value - if it fits right, of course.

good luck.
want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inksplat View Post
That's more the issue with me going online--I went in there planning to support the local shop, but in the end they didn't have the jacket/helmet/boots I was after.
I hear you; by no means am I a "only buy local" bigot. I buy a ton of stuff online as well. Helmet fitting is one of those things that often does require a physical location to get things just right, and taking advantage of that and then going to vendors who don't need to provide that required service, isn't IMO ultimately helping the consumer, that's all.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2011, 12:26 PM   #7
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
There is a great guide to helmet fitting here: Webbikeworld's Outstanding Motorcycle Helmet Fit Page. They really emphasize the importance of knowing your head shape, and knowing the shape of the helmet you buy. Different helmets may be a bad fit for you -- for example, the newer EXO-700s have a "neurtral-long oval" shape. This will create cheek pressure issues causing the need go up sizes for those with a "round" type head. I'm guessing this was your issue. As said in review of the Scorpion Exo 1000 helmet by a "round" headed reviewer on webbikeworld, "The point is that full round-heads like me may find that the EXO has a bit too much pressure on the sides."

While Webbikeworld unfortunately doesn't have an EXO-750 reviewed and sized, the 400, 700 and the 1000 are all similarly shaped. I'm guessing the 750 will also have that same "long-narrow" tendency that will push on your cheeks. Are you sure you don't want to check out another helmet that may be more "round" type and see if they fit you better? You can find a chart of helmet shapes here.

Good luck! Hope you find the right helmet for you!

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #8
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Honda CBR600RR

put the helmet on .. pull the chin strap tight and then try to force it off your head. If it even comes close to moving off your head the helmet is to big. Adjustable just sounds like something i wouldnt even want to get into. how would you ever know if you have it adjusted properly?

Old February 24th, 2011, 05:27 PM   #9
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

My Scorpion EXO-1000 is finally breaking in after three months and I'm glad that I got as tight as I could stand. I rarely inflate the AirFit but I may start soon. It's true that Scorpion helmets are typically about a fitment size smaller than the competition with the same label (if you use an L, buy a Scorpion XL). The weird thing is that I have developed little cut-like breaks in the skin where my ear lobes meet my face so taking my head out of such a tight squeeze only exacerbates them. I'll put antibiotic ointment on it.

I do love this helmet. I love how they solve the problem of the first detent wearing out: it has none and you use the lever to crack it open "a notch"
I also thought the AirFit was a great idea... one I had myself years ago (I actually started looking into the old Reebok Pumps to see if I could find similar parts).
The flip-down internal sun shade is nice.
The style is great.
The price was great ($99 for blue, $140 for gray/silver on Cycle Gear clearance late last year).
The fast-change shield is awesome, though I had to spend a bunch of time putting the dial piece back on last time (it came off too). My old G-Max helmet would break tabs if you dared to change the shield regularly.

Because my G-Max helmet before it fit the lock so well, I thought that the EXO-1K's D-ring shape prevented me from using it easily with the helmet hooks but I finally figured out how to get them on right (insert the ring at 90-degrees then rotate).
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote