ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Notices

Old December 11th, 2015, 02:15 PM   #1
Guilty
ninjette.org member

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2009 Yamaha C3

Simple LED strip mod

To make me more visible at night, I decided to take some waterproof RGB LED strips and put them under the seat above the tire. I only have the green part lit up and it is on the same circuit as the running lights. It is pretty impossible to not notice and in a Florida college town, terrible drivers are around every corner and visibility is pretty much necessary at all times.

I read the statute in Florida, and there seems to be no law aside from it impairing other drivers, which it does not since it's focused at the ground. I was wondering if anyone would think it's tacky or if it would be better as red for either the running lights on, or as a brake light. I have the ability to easily have it do any color with a wireless remote and I just used some hot glue as a temporary idea. I'll try to get a better picture of it at night.

Good idea or no?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0002.jpg (78.0 KB, 17 views)

Last futzed with by Guilty; December 18th, 2015 at 06:02 PM.
Guilty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2015, 02:22 PM   #2
HoneyBadgerRy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

If you really wanted better awareness at night, I'd probably go with red or white running lights, but personally, I don't ride much at night, and added lights normally look tacky IMHO.

Old December 11th, 2015, 02:46 PM   #3
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
It's your bike.
If you like it, do it!

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2015, 03:25 PM   #4
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
My 2¢,

As far as being more visible, I upgraded my lights. For headlight I went with an HID set-up, it's a DDM TUNING 55w/6k, extremely bright, and have had no issues with blinding oncoming traffic, once I reaimed the headlight. Tail/brake I used an 80w CREE LED, and installed a brake light modulator, and also installed 2 CREE LEDs in the bottom of the license plate, which are tied into the brake. Rear turn signals 80w CREE LEDs.Front turn signals I did a set of switch back CREE LEDs modification, and replaced the amber reflectors with a amber flush mount, which adds to more side visibility when turning.

I also replaced the OEM graphics with a custom made reflective silver, and rim tape.

I believe that you can see all these mods in my blog, if not PM me.

I did add white smd strips under the tank, which adds some nice accent lighting, but not too much.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2015, 04:00 PM   #5
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Ninjas are stealthy! What are these light bars you speak of ?!?
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2015, 07:55 PM   #6
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kurgan

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Just keep in mind that some states have very strict laws on what colors of lights you can and cannot have lit up while you're riding.

Texas just changed the law to make any color other than red, white, or yellow illegal while riding. You can have the other light colors turned on while the bike is parked, but not while riding.
Kurgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2015, 08:58 PM   #7
Ghostt
in your machine

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
Just keep in mind that some states have very strict laws on what colors of lights you can and cannot have lit up while you're riding.

Texas just changed the law to make any color other than red, white, or yellow illegal while riding. You can have the other light colors turned on while the bike is parked, but not while riding.
Absolutely check local laws, nothing suxs more than getting a BS ticket

ZX-2R BLOG

Old December 14th, 2015, 08:21 AM   #8
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
Absolutely check local laws, nothing suxs more than getting a BS ticket
Now what sux more is getting pulled over for a BS ticket (that is a result of some farkle you added) and then realizing you forgot to renew your registration or license or worse.

Just had a case here in VA where a guy got pulled over for having an air fresher hanging from his rear view mirror and cops ended up finding drugs in his possessions.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2015, 08:29 AM   #9
HoneyBadgerRy

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
Now what sux more is getting pulled over for a BS ticket (that is a result of some farkle you added) and then realizing you forgot to renew your registration or license or worse.

Just had a case here in VA where a guy got pulled over for having an air fresher hanging from his rear view mirror and cops ended up finding drugs in his possessions.
I've heard that a lot of the time police pull you over for BS tickets like farkels or license plate lights or something, its because they actually want to catch you doing something like possession or dui.

Old December 14th, 2015, 09:37 AM   #10
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadgerRy View Post
I've heard that a lot of the time police pull you over for BS tickets like farkels or license plate lights or something, its because they actually want to catch you doing something like possession or dui.
Very true.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old December 14th, 2015, 10:46 PM   #11
Guilty
ninjette.org member

I actually talked to a cop that was at a friend's house after a noise complaint from some barking dogs that by a much hated neighbor, but he actually thought they were a pretty great idea since accent lighting is permitted within the statute limitations. Living in a college town in Florida, it's a breeding ground for bad drivers. Have already been hit before when I was riding a scooter for a year realizing it's a terrible idea to have one outside of the campus.

I pretty much am just testing the waters with this. Yes, it could look a bit tacky to some as they are quite bright, just wanting to become more visible. Cost me nothing but about an hour of my time putting it all together and hooking it up to the wires for the running lights. Takes about 20 seconds to remove if I decide to get rid of them. They are just the inexpensive RGB LED strips on Amazon or eBay for less than 10 dollars for 5m of the strip that you can cut to any length. But I am also thinking about changing the wiring to the brake lamp circuit to make braking a little more visible and nothing else.

Old December 14th, 2015, 11:19 PM   #12
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilty View Post
I actually talked to a cop that was at a friend's house after a noise complaint from some barking dogs that by a much hated neighbor, but he actually thought they were a pretty great idea since accent lighting is permitted within the statute limitations. Living in a college town in Florida, it's a breeding ground for bad drivers. Have already been hit before when I was riding a scooter for a year realizing it's a terrible idea to have one outside of the campus.

I pretty much am just testing the waters with this. Yes, it could look a bit tacky to some as they are quite bright, just wanting to become more visible. Cost me nothing but about an hour of my time putting it all together and hooking it up to the wires for the running lights. Takes about 20 seconds to remove if I decide to get rid of them. They are just the inexpensive RGB LED strips on Amazon or eBay for less than 10 dollars for 5m of the strip that you can cut to any length. But I am also thinking about changing the wiring to the brake lamp circuit to make braking a little more visible and nothing else.

The best way to get your braking noticed is brighter, and a modulator. As I said be sure to get a bright LED, remember it's important especially in the daytime when some lesser LEDs don't do well.

Below is pictures of my set-up taken in direct sunlight.

No lights

Running light

Braking, notice the two extra CREE LEDs mounted in the bottom holes of the license plate. The Ninja graphic on the taillight itself is reflective red.

This is with the lights off, this just shows the reflectivity.

Here's a picture that shows off th reflective silver graphics, and rim tape.

Good luck with whatever you choose, I would add switch so if necessary you can turn off the body glow kit.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old December 16th, 2015, 12:36 PM   #13
Guilty
ninjette.org member

I might put in a simple 2 way switch that can go from the green running lights or red braking lights. Pretty simple thing to do.

Here's the green. It is a bit bright, but don't know if it's too much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0002.jpg (78.0 KB, 5 views)