Notices

Old July 10th, 2012, 11:26 PM   #1
piNNoy
ninjette.org newbie

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2006 SV650S

My MSF Course Experience (Passed!)

Hola,

So I used to ride dirt bikes about 10 years ago and haven't touched a bike again until my BRC/MSF class this past weekend.

First day:

Yes yes it was super boring 5 hours of classwork and a 50 question test after. They showed videos, passed around gear, drew on the chalk board, and made us answer all the questions in the back of the BRC book. I dragged two of my friends to this course and we all passed the written test. They have never ridden any type of two wheels with a motor on it. I got 47/50, another got 47/50 and another got 50/50.

Second day:

One of my friends was about 3 minutes late and they did not let him in (he has to go to other classes and be on stand by now)

The fun stuff. I picked the 250 Honda Nighthawk (awesome bike). They started off at a pretty slow pace, learning everything on the bike before even mounting the bike, switches and all. We spent awhile doing clutch control and going up and down the course (parking lot). Two people kept stalling the bikes and could never find neutral to start the bikes which held us up. After the first hour, the training went into overdrive. Move after move, turn after turn, pretty fast pace and most of us caught on.

While doing the quickstops - Two people fell. One was my friend (I couldn't stop laughing). He went strait then engaged both breaks, came to a stop, and tipped over! just LOLD. Another guy was doing a quickstop and while he was breaking his bike leaned over and it dropped. He broke the right turn signal and got to take it home as a souvenir (i wanted a souvenir )

Third day:

More advanced stuffs. I got b'd at because I was going to fast on the straits. We had to take a turn, then go fast enough to use the breaks before the next turn. I think I prob went about 35 in the small area we had. Figure 8 was a killer, I put my foot down the first two attempts I tried but then I started doing everything they told me and it was a breeze. Getting closer to test time and everyone was super nervous. The instructor pulls my friend on the side and tells him: "I recommend you not take this test today". My friend was having fun up until that point After that he was just super pissed and kept saying there supposed to train, and encourage you and not say some ish like that. I agreed that it was a messed up thing to say but I was watching him sometimes and I'm sure he would have failed the test.

Test Time:
Everyone was super nervous and we all lined up (except my friend because he was going to save his two test attempts when he gets more pratice). When it was my turn I was so nervous before I went I had to say in my head: "you've been doing this all day, nothings different". I Aced the figure 8, Aced the swerve. After completing the swerve and going into the turn, my engine died and the instructors were watching me I forgot to turn back on my fuel when I started the bike. So I kept thinking in my head I'm going to fail. Then comes the quickstop portion, I had this perfect all day but when it came to my turn I was super nervous again. I passed the cones, downshifted and hit both breaks but I put my foot down way to early when the bike was still moving and almost fell. I thought now for sure I failed because I knew they were strict with the points.

Grades: 12 people in the class: Three failed, and one backed out(my friend).
One failed at the last possible second in one of the videos shown below. We are all done with the test and are just walking them to where the instructors wanted us to and he didn't put the kick stand down all the way you can also see he cuts me off when we were parking and I hit both breaks like a pro like I learned from this class

I now see why this class is highly recommended for new riders. I've learned ALOT and my experience was awesome. (going to the DMV next week to get my license and my bike next month boooooya.)

I'm the fat dude wearing the bright Filipino windbreaker

Boring turn video:
http://youtu.be/68QPalgeOXI

Video of the end of the course and the dude drops his bike and fails (listen to what the instructor says right when he drops the bike)
http://youtu.be/WBtciXPI3hQ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20120708_131732.jpg (115.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20120707_115502.jpg (121.5 KB, 16 views)
piNNoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2012, 01:49 AM   #2
xMoises831
ninjette.org guru

Name: Moises

Motorcycle(s): None yet

ah dude im nervous to do it! I'm signing up tomorrow since i was to late to sign up today did they let all of you barrow the helmets? and any tips for the turns iv never had any experience on 2 wheels besides a bike and a pocket bike lol I'm especially nervous of the figure 8 .. ):
xMoises831 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2012, 03:15 AM   #3
Madman44
ninjette.org guru

Name: Martin

Motorcycle(s): 250r

MSF

Congrats on passing. I'm scheduled to take the course on the 20th of this month. The only experience I have is with a 50cc moped when I was about 12, so I'm a bit nervous. Definitely looking forward to it though. =)
Madman44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2012, 06:29 AM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

/moved to riding skills

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2012, 07:26 AM   #5
nycsteve
Biker

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 SE

No need to be nervous about the MSF. People fail because of one thing and that's being nervous. Guarantee that if you remove your fears from this, you'll do just fine.

First half of my 2nd day(3 day course)- I was nervous has heck at the beginning, wasn't fun and was an extreme waste of energy and focus. I was looking down most of the time which really hurts your learning and I had a lot of trouble just getting to neutral.

Second half- After lunch and me being really tough on myself, I composed myself and was determined to just have fun, after all that was why I was there anyway. I quickly started picking things up by just having fun and looking up!

The key word is fun. Heck I was probably the slowest one in the group because of my initial nervousness and lack of experience (never rode a motorcycle before and haven't ridden a bike in years, plus some people were there with experience on motorcycles and dirt bikes). By the time it came to the test, I scraped the rubber off of one of the pegs on the rebel 250!
nycsteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2012, 08:18 AM   #6
xMoises831
ninjette.org guru

Name: Moises

Motorcycle(s): None yet

yes, i know i keep hearing that over and over lol i will probably get 100% on a written test because thats the way my brain works but when it comes down to actually doing it idk about that. I have a really good understanding of how it works but you never know until you actually do it. thanks !
xMoises831 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2012, 08:48 AM   #7
Ptdoughnut
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mason

Motorcycle(s): 12 250r (sold), 2014 ZX6R

how much does the msf cost in your areas?

Old July 11th, 2012, 10:03 AM   #8
piNNoy
ninjette.org newbie

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2006 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMoises831 View Post
ah dude im nervous to do it! I'm signing up tomorrow since i was to late to sign up today did they let all of you barrow the helmets? and any tips for the turns iv never had any experience on 2 wheels besides a bike and a pocket bike lol I'm especially nervous of the figure 8 .. ):
Noooo try not to be nervous and have fun! It's super fun and when I was nervous that's when I started messing up.
The place I picked, let you borrow every piece of gear you needed. It varies from place to place, call them, check the website to see what gear they provide
I can't really give tips on turns due to lack of experience but I think it has a lot to do with where you look
Ask any questions you have to your instructors and put the advice in affect!
For some tips; Check out: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman44 View Post
Congrats on passing. I'm scheduled to take the course on the 20th of this month. The only experience I have is with a 50cc moped when I was about 12, so I'm a bit nervous. Definitely looking forward to it though. =)
Thanks! The place I went to had a scooter (no shifting ahhh). Research and search youtube for videos on riding, it's way better if you have a heads up on how things work instead of just jumping in the shark pit!
Everyone is nervous and I think that affects your riding a lot, sometimes I had to tell myself just to have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
/moved to riding skills
sorry for the wrong forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
No need to be nervous about the MSF. People fail because of one thing and that's being nervous. Guarantee that if you remove your fears from this, you'll do just fine.

First half of my 2nd day(3 day course)- I was nervous has heck at the beginning, wasn't fun and was an extreme waste of energy and focus. I was looking down most of the time which really hurts your learning and I had a lot of trouble just getting to neutral.

Second half- After lunch and me being really tough on myself, I composed myself and was determined to just have fun, after all that was why I was there anyway. I quickly started picking things up by just having fun and looking up!

The key word is fun. Heck I was probably the slowest one in the group because of my initial nervousness and lack of experience (never rode a motorcycle before and haven't ridden a bike in years, plus some people were there with experience on motorcycles and dirt bikes). By the time it came to the test, I scraped the rubber off of one of the pegs on the rebel 250!
This is great advice! Agreed 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptdoughnut View Post
how much does the msf cost in your areas?
I dunno if this varies but my area is $250 if your over 21 and $150 if under 21
piNNoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2012, 11:59 AM   #9
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Haha "there's a fail, that sucks"
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2012, 12:28 PM   #10
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

The pot bellied, perpetually smiling and warm, Santa Clause lookalike instructor I had wouldn't have failed you if you had dropped your bike...He started the class (which compromised of me and 3 others) by "guaranteeing" our passing. I guess that's the South for ya!

Old July 11th, 2012, 01:21 PM   #11
broilmebk
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): '12 ninja 250r

Wait. Did the guy fail the test cause he dropped the bike or just fail at life?
broilmebk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2012, 01:24 PM   #12
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
That would so suck, to fail at the point of getting off the bike at the end of the test because of kickstand deployment. Sad but kinda funny at the same time.

Gratz on passing!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2012, 01:30 PM   #13
nycsteve
Biker

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 SE

It almost seems like he put it down but partially maybe? That sucks big time, but they do tell you something like once the test starts, it isn't over until the bikes are put away. Sucks big time!
nycsteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #14
Ptdoughnut
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mason

Motorcycle(s): 12 250r (sold), 2014 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by piNNoy View Post
I dunno if this varies but my area is $250 if your over 21 and $150 if under 21
http://transindustrial.ca/wp-content...ation-2012.pdf

Thats what we have here for a training course... I think you're supposed to take both?

Old July 12th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #15
Maielstrom
Ghost Rider

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Haha "there's a fail, that sucks"

That's disappointing. You can see in the video that the kickstand is down but it's slightly turned in.That does suck though, right at the end.

As for the cost, it ran me $350 for the NYC area (a few of the schools North of the city were $275)

And to anyone in the future taking the course, I can highly recommend checking out Youtube to see what people have posted about it. There was one guy who went back to the course and discussed all the parts of the test (giving his input on how it went for him and some tips), which I thought was great to know what we were going to be tested on before even taking the course. The guy's advice was definitely helpful to me for the figure 8, as I did terrible on it in the practice time, but test time I didn't put my foot down and only went out of the box on the turn around by about an inch. Not perfect, but it was a huge improvement. It lets you work harder on those things during the two days so you're that much more prepared.

Congrats on passing!
Maielstrom is offline   Reply With Quote