ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old December 29th, 2012, 11:16 AM   #1
OCMagnum
ninjette.org member

Name: OC

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750, 2012 Ducati Monster 696 (sold), 2012 Ninja 250 (sold)

What to check on older bikes?

Hi guys,

A dealer has a 2002 Ducati M750 with only 1000 miles and I plan to go have a look at it today. The bike has just had a full service (graves and new belts) and looks to be in great condition.

What should I be specifically be on the look out for? Maybe any rubber parts that could break from age?

Thanks!
OCMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2012, 11:34 AM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
That is about 8 miles per month, if the mileage is accurate.

Check for any problem associated to that age and lack of road rolling, like rust, frozen chain, corroded electrical connections and rotten rubber elements.

If the tires are original, they must go.

All fluids should have been replaced and all linkages and pivots should have been lubricated.

Check for any critical damage that may have made the PO get rid of it, like internal engine damage or frame deformation due to an accident or fall.

A more detailed list here:

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2012, 11:38 AM   #3
OCMagnum
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750, 2012 Ducati Monster 696 (sold), 2012 Ninja 250 (sold)

Awesome, thanks Hernan!

Old December 29th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

You are welcome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ducati_Monster

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/duc...50_ie_2002.php

Best luck !!!

Old December 29th, 2012, 12:55 PM   #5
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

good luck with purchase

Old December 29th, 2012, 10:10 PM   #6
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Probably best looking through a monster forum, they should have all the knowledge on what needs checking on the specific machine.

It'll either have been minded like a baby and only taken out on the first Sunday of summer months (if they're dry) or it scared the living **** out of it's previous owner & was left sitting for a long time afterwards.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2012, 11:25 PM   #7
OCMagnum
ninjette.org member

Thanks everyone.

Checked the bike out today and she's a beauty. Perfect shape. Apparently PO bought her for his wife and she only took the bike out a couple of times a year, but kept up on maintenance through the dealership. They also just did a complete service, including valves and new belts. Only blemish that I could find is a tiny scratch on the fork, looks like something scratch it in the garage.

Started her up and boy does she sound great . Could not take her on a test drive since it was raining hard today, but will likely go back next week to take her out, if she is still there. Two other parties were looking at the bike while I was there.

Only downside I can see are that the bike does indeed come with original tires. Dealer said they checked them and see not issue, but not sure if I would trust 10 year old tires.

Will let you know how things go.

Old December 30th, 2012, 06:32 AM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCMagnum View Post
....Only downside I can see are that the bike does indeed come with original tires. Dealer said they checked them and see not issue, but not sure if I would trust 10 year old tires.
They should be structural OK and fine for regular riding for a while if they have been kept away from Sun light; however, due to oxidation, the rubber is harder now than when new.

For more sport or wet riding, fresh rubber will return the lost grip.

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5808528...ed-tires_.html

Copied from http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_lon...o_replace_them

"Finally, tires also have an "expiration date," after a fashion. Tires which are more than a few years old (particularly tires exposed to lots of sunlight or ozone) tend to harden and crack, making them much less grippy, and less safe. Tires have a date code molded into the sidewall, which is four numbers long. The first two numbers are the week-number, and the second two are the year-number. So the code 0206 would mean the tire was made in the second week of 2006. If you're looking at a used bike, remember to factor in the cost of tires if they're more than 3 years old."

Old December 30th, 2012, 10:20 AM   #9
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

Tell the dealer you want the tires replaced at cost, those on the bike may look OK but they are dangerously old and the dealer should know better than telling you they checked them and did not see an issue. They are definitely a safety issue. And find out how old the battery is. By full service, what did they do? Did they at least change the oil and filter, lube the chain, check the valves? Has that bike every been serviced before in its' 10 year life?
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2012, 12:09 PM   #10
OCMagnum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
Tell the dealer you want the tires replaced at cost, those on the bike may look OK but they are dangerously old and the dealer should know better than telling you they checked them and did not see an issue. They are definitely a safety issue. And find out how old the battery is. By full service, what did they do? Did they at least change the oil and filter, lube the chain, check the valves? Has that bike every been serviced before in its' 10 year life?

Thanks!

I plan on going for a test ride later this week and will ask that they prepare a list for me of what their service included. I know they checked the valves and replaced the belts, but not sure on what else (he mentioned that it was "$1400 worth of service). Also good point about the battery, did not think of that.

As for the tires, I was going to tell him that I pay his price if he mounts new tires (was going to ask for PR3), or reduce price by $400 and I take care of new tires on my own.

Thanks again for all the input!