ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old March 11th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #1
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE- SOLD to maverick9611

Bike Won't Start!

So, it's been a while since I've been on here, but we've had some great weather in the Northeast, yet my bike won't start.

Last year I installed a battery tender and threw in some fuel stabilizer and in the spring changed the oil, but I got really lazy this year and didn't winterize my bike at all, except from having it on the charger.

The bike starts and runs for about 5 seconds, reaching 1000 RPMs before stalling.

I have a feeling the carbs are gummed up and I'm going to have to take them apart to clean them, put in some fresh gas, and I'll change the oil again while I'm at it.

Just curious what suggestion members had.

I'm glad to be back on here, I stopped going on here because I was constantly seeing new farkles others had that I just had to have too! I'm excited to ride this season and can't wait to start spending more money!

Old March 11th, 2012, 05:30 PM   #2
kawi
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

I'd have to say you have a great starting point already by cleaning out the carbs. You might be able to get away with just spraying carb cleaning in if you can keep your bike running. If not, its best to clean the entire carb; jets and all.
kawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #3
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi View Post
I'd have to say you have a great starting point already by cleaning out the carbs. You might be able to get away with just spraying carb cleaning in if you can keep your bike running. If not, its best to clean the entire carb; jets and all.
Yeah, I was thinking that, just spraying them, but it'll be better to clean them up and do a small service. I don't want to run in to problems down the road. I know it's going to be a pain, but that's what I deserve I guess

Old March 12th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #4
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

UPDATE: this morning I got up and emptied the carb float bowls, but this didn't relieve the issues at all, instead I just made a small mess with the gas. I wasn't happy to take off the fairings and everything as I have never done this before, but I figured I would have to do it eventually to get to the carbs so I could clean them. I decided I can now give the plastics a really good bath and cleaning up the bike really nice for the Spring/Summer!

A buddy of my was 100% sure my spark plugs were the problem, and although I wasn't sure, I humored him. I pulled out the old ones.

And then went to Advanced Auto Parts and surprisingly they had the stock NGK plugs.

I was able to install the new plugs without pulling the gas tank and it started and ran without issue! I ripped it up and down the road and it seems to be 100% now. I do need to pick up a new air filter as the current one is soaked in gasoline from flooding the engine trying to get it started previous to swapping the plugs.