ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 11th, 2016, 08:47 PM   #1
netdobeiras
ninjette.org member

Name: steven

Motorcycle(s): 2004 kawasaki ninja 250

Are stock dunlop tires really that bad?

So when i first got my 2004 ninja 250 the rear tire was wornout and bald. I vowed that i would keep the bike as stock as possible to help me get accustomed to at least what a bike should run like. I bought brand new dunlop k630 rear tire and installed it. I now need to replace the front tire since the wear marks are showing up. I read that the dunlop stock tires are terrible so heres my overall questions. Are the dunlops so bad that i should change out my almost brand new rear tire and old front tire with something else or should i just buy another stock dunlop front tire? Are they that bad? im tempted to buy aftermarket. im thinking either kendas or pirelli mt75.
netdobeiras is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2016, 08:51 PM   #2
HoneyBadgerRy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

It depends on your riding style. If you do a lot if computing the stock tires will be fine, if you right a lot if twisties I would reccomend something a little nicer.

Personally I would reccomend you get a mt75 for the front, see if you like it, and if you do get one for the back. They are pretty cheap, so if you can notice the difference I'm sure you will buy the rear, and if you can't notice the difference I'm sure you will be glad you kept the rear.

Old March 11th, 2016, 08:57 PM   #3
netdobeiras
ninjette.org member

I was thinking about doing that. just buying an aftermarket front tire and see where it goes. But i'm worry it will feel weird to have two different thread patterns so i'm not going to use two different tires. I will only use the same brand for the front and rear.

Old March 11th, 2016, 08:59 PM   #4
HoneyBadgerRy

You shouldn't have a problem with two different tires. People do it all the time. Hell, on my MX bike I prefer to run a Dunlop mx32 in the front but they don't make a 18" rear so I run a Metzler MC4 in the back (which is a great back but a horrible front).

Old March 12th, 2016, 09:02 AM   #5
quarterliter
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

For around 200 you could get a set of Pirelli Diablo scooters. I had mt75s and I think the Diablo scooters are better. If it is possible I would put a full set on and get rid of those stock dunrocks.
quarterliter is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 15th, 2016, 05:02 PM   #6
netdobeiras
ninjette.org member

ok so i decided to buy a new dunlop k630 front tire. i just didnt want to to use two different tires for front and back and most certaintly did not want to replace a rear tire with only 1300 miles on it. thanks for advice everyone.

Old March 16th, 2016, 07:22 AM   #7
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdobeiras View Post
ok so i decided to buy a new dunlop k630 front tire. i just didnt want to to use two different tires for front and back and most certaintly did not want to replace a rear tire with only 1300 miles on it. thanks for advice everyone.
When it's time to replace both tires, do some research to find the best tires for your type of riding. Pretty good chance it won't be the Dunlops.

Also look at the age stamp on the tire. Tire lose traction as they age, and can be unsafe even if they have full tread depth.

The tire code will be on the sidewall in an oval. 4 numbers like "3612". The first 2 numbers are the week (36th week), the second are the last digest of the year (2012). If they are 5 years old or more they have lost a significant amount of grip, and should be replaced. Same is true for auto tires, though it's nowhere near as critical.

I've replaced a full set of auto tires after 3 years and 25,000 mi because they were not performing adequately. I've also replaced brand new motorcycle tires, on a brand new cycle, after 2 months and 500 mi because they were not providing adequate traction and feedback.

My point is - don't skimp on tires. They are very important.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 20th, 2016, 05:21 PM   #8
netdobeiras
ninjette.org member

finished installing the new front dunlop tires. My bike feels like a brand new motorcycle. she handles so much better on turns and doesnt seem to get sucked into long cracks on the roads so easily. People call these tires terrible? they feel perfectly fine to me. Then again i never tried after market so maybe on day I will see what this website is talking about. People say you need a wheel jack to do the front tire. I simply put bricks on the rear seat until the bike leaned against the rear wheel. Then put a jack under the lower fairing just so it wouldn't randomly wobble forward and fall. hope that helps anyone doing the front tire.

Old March 20th, 2016, 05:24 PM   #9
HoneyBadgerRy

It may be incorrect, but when my front tire was off for a short time I would just take the lower fairing off, and place a car jack under the engine oil filter cover. When the front would be off longer I would hook a chain lift up to the frame.

Old March 20th, 2016, 05:32 PM   #10
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Just had my front wheel off today. Center-stand, car jack under the bottom, just enough to take the front up, and we were good. Changed out OEM tire for Shinko, so we'll see how it feels. Husband recommended I get something other than the stock; he doesn't like them at all.

Riding style- we do a lot of twisties in the canyons.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote